Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
People have not always been as fixated on stats as they are today...

people didnt ask who was G.O.A.T after every f*cking game like they do on ISH

Everyone had their favorite players, but the NBA was more about team rivalries. Sixers/Celtics, Lakers/Celtics, Knicks/Heat, Bulls/Knicks.

Like I said, Jordan was the first player to have such a large presence in this new media age. But once he succeeded so well, it seems Stern wanted to find the next Jordan, and then the next one after that

You don't think there could be reasons for this?

Like maybe that you're on a message board where people feel the need to talk about basketball 24/7?

The NBA was more about "rivalries" because teams played more in the regular season than they do now. Also, a lot of those "rivalries" have a lot to do with the players, the media, and nostalgia. People have always been fans of players. This is how you end up with people who speak so highly of players like Earl Monroe, Pete Maravich (who sure as hell doesn't have a strong team affiliation), Chamberlain, Russell, Julius Erving before he even got to the Sixers and the list could literally go on for a long time.

This is what the NBA and basketball to a large extent has always been about. Unlike any other sport, you're able to see the personalities of players and naturally people are going to drift towards that.

All of this, by the way, has nothing to do with stats.
steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve

All of this, by the way, has nothing to do with stats.

It has everything to do with stats....

Stats become the vehicle for fans to rank their favorite players. Players are more important than the teams they play on these days.

When you look around this board for example, you see alot posters who are fans of players. These kobe stans are fans of KOBE moreso than fans of the Lakers.

Kobe fan's goal is to prove that Kobe is the best ever... That seems to be the daily battle on this board especially.. Lebron, Kobe or Jordan. Thats where the stats come in. Stats are used every which way to prove or disporve that so & is the greatest this or a bum like that.

It simply wasnt like that before...

The way people talk now? you'd think only Kobe or Mj received rings everytime their teams win a title because rings is simply a stat to add to these guys resume...

The game has become more and more centered on the top few players instead of the teams they play for
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
zizozain
hi AJ2k8

zizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hollinger Generation
zizozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
Nash
NBA rookie of the year

Nash is starting to rub some people the wrong wayNash is starting to rub some people the wrong way

FG% is the best stat.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
It has everything to do with stats....

Stats become the vehicle for fans to rank their favorite players. Players are more important than the teams they play on these days.

When you look around this board for example, you see alot posters who are fans of players. These kobe stans are fans of KOBE moreso than fans of the Lakers.

Kobe fan's goal is to prove that Kobe is the best ever... That seems to be the daily battle on this board especially.. Lebron, Kobe or Jordan. Thats where the stats come in. Stats are used every which way to prove or disporve that so & is the greatest this or a bum like that.

It simply wasnt like that before...

The way people talk now? you'd think only Kobe or Mj received rings everytime their teams win a title because rings is simply a stat to add to these guys resume...

The game has become more and more centered on the top few players instead of the teams they play for

Someone needs a break from the internet.
steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

It's easier and safer than forming your own opinion.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Someone needs a break from the internet.

OK.........

I guess you dont have a better rebuttal than that..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Punpun has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash
FG% is the best stat.

Bruh, it's PER.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Because fans are generally lazy pricks, they would rather rely on stats than actually watch and enjoy the games.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
I<3NBA
College superstar

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

stats tell what your eyes miss. opinion biases abound. we see this all the time. fans that have a stake in the match or a favorite player in the game will always tend to see things in favor of his favorite player or team, NO MATTER WHAT.

stats are the disinterested party in the discussion. they're neutral. you can't fault them for having opinion biases. numbers will say exactly what went down.

the real question is: why do dumb fks question numbers and rely more on their "eye test" which has been proven scientifically to be UNRELIABLE?

answer: they're uneducated and has never had the benefit of scientific education.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

Because not everyone has time to watch every single star in the NBA, watch their teams, watch their performance in the 4th, watch them play defense etc.

It is a much more convincing method of persuading other members, than simply "talking" about how a player plays. Such talk usually are not concrete and lead no where. Stats is a concrete evidence, like it or not, and allows you to make your point.

And sometimes, the stats really do not lie:
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
Because not everyone has time to watch every single star in the NBA, watch their teams, watch their performance in the 4th, watch them play defense etc.

It is a much more convincing method of persuading other members, than simply "talking" about how a player plays. Such talk usually are not concrete and lead no where. Stats is a concrete evidence, like it or not, and allows you to make your point.

And sometimes, the stats really do not lie:

You don't need stats to tell you that Dirk completely outplayed Lebron that series, you can tell just by watching. If you went by stats alone you would think Lebron actually played well in the game where he got a meaningless triple double.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

ralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputation

Because there's an underlying bias in our society towards the infallibility of numbers
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
lilgodfather1
Wait and See

lilgodfather1 is a pretty well-respected posterlilgodfather1 is a pretty well-respected posterlilgodfather1 is a pretty well-respected poster

I would assume that the fixation is in part because they're easier to come by now then in the past. All it takes is a few clicks of the mouse to find every stat you can imagine, where as in the past before the internet you would have to collect boxscores.
lilgodfather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The problem with stats is people refuse to put them into context. Also, people love to refer to them as the end all to be all. When that couldn't be furtherest from the truth.

Case and point Lebron James final appearance last year. In my opinion, James had a memorable and dominant 12 NBA finals. But I was shocked to find out he only shot 47% from the field. Durant on the other hand avg 30 ppg on 50% shooting but he never really put his stamp on the series.

I also feel there's just too many people that are more stat nerds than basketball fans.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: