Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
steve
...
 
steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,834
steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
People have not always been as fixated on stats as they are today...


people didnt ask who was G.O.A.T after every f*cking game like they do on ISH

Everyone had their favorite players, but the NBA was more about team rivalries. Sixers/Celtics, Lakers/Celtics, Knicks/Heat, Bulls/Knicks.

Like I said, Jordan was the first player to have such a large presence in this new media age. But once he succeeded so well, it seems Stern wanted to find the next Jordan, and then the next one after that

You don't think there could be reasons for this?

Like maybe that you're on a message board where people feel the need to talk about basketball 24/7?

The NBA was more about "rivalries" because teams played more in the regular season than they do now. Also, a lot of those "rivalries" have a lot to do with the players, the media, and nostalgia. People have always been fans of players. This is how you end up with people who speak so highly of players like Earl Monroe, Pete Maravich (who sure as hell doesn't have a strong team affiliation), Chamberlain, Russell, Julius Erving before he even got to the Sixers and the list could literally go on for a long time.

This is what the NBA and basketball to a large extent has always been about. Unlike any other sport, you're able to see the personalities of players and naturally people are going to drift towards that.

All of this, by the way, has nothing to do with stats.
steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,492
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve

All of this, by the way, has nothing to do with stats.


It has everything to do with stats....

Stats become the vehicle for fans to rank their favorite players. Players are more important than the teams they play on these days.

When you look around this board for example, you see alot posters who are fans of players. These kobe stans are fans of KOBE moreso than fans of the Lakers.

Kobe fan's goal is to prove that Kobe is the best ever... That seems to be the daily battle on this board especially.. Lebron, Kobe or Jordan. Thats where the stats come in. Stats are used every which way to prove or disporve that so & is the greatest this or a bum like that.

It simply wasnt like that before...

The way people talk now? you'd think only Kobe or Mj received rings everytime their teams win a title because rings is simply a stat to add to these guys resume...

The game has become more and more centered on the top few players instead of the teams they play for
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
zizozain
hi AJ2k8
 
zizozain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,109
zizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterzizozain is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Hollinger Generation
zizozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
Nash
NBA rookie of the year
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,004
Nash is starting to rub some people the wrong wayNash is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

FG% is the best stat.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
steve
...
 
steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,834
steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
It has everything to do with stats....

Stats become the vehicle for fans to rank their favorite players. Players are more important than the teams they play on these days.

When you look around this board for example, you see alot posters who are fans of players. These kobe stans are fans of KOBE moreso than fans of the Lakers.

Kobe fan's goal is to prove that Kobe is the best ever... That seems to be the daily battle on this board especially.. Lebron, Kobe or Jordan. Thats where the stats come in. Stats are used every which way to prove or disporve that so & is the greatest this or a bum like that.

It simply wasnt like that before...

The way people talk now? you'd think only Kobe or Mj received rings everytime their teams win a title because rings is simply a stat to add to these guys resume...

The game has become more and more centered on the top few players instead of the teams they play for

Someone needs a break from the internet.
steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
monkeypox
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,455
monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

It's easier and safer than forming your own opinion.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,492
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Someone needs a break from the internet.

OK.........

I guess you dont have a better rebuttal than that..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
Punpun
Head Connoisseur
 
Punpun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kicking asses since Dec11'
Posts: 3,587
Punpun has not been impressing people
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash
FG% is the best stat.

Bruh, it's PER.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,805
longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Because fans are generally lazy pricks, they would rather rely on stats than actually watch and enjoy the games.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
I<3NBA
College superstar
 
I<3NBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,807
I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

stats tell what your eyes miss. opinion biases abound. we see this all the time. fans that have a stake in the match or a favorite player in the game will always tend to see things in favor of his favorite player or team, NO MATTER WHAT.

stats are the disinterested party in the discussion. they're neutral. you can't fault them for having opinion biases. numbers will say exactly what went down.

the real question is: why do dumb fks question numbers and rely more on their "eye test" which has been proven scientifically to be UNRELIABLE?

answer: they're uneducated and has never had the benefit of scientific education.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED
 
ripthekik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,360
ripthekik has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Because not everyone has time to watch every single star in the NBA, watch their teams, watch their performance in the 4th, watch them play defense etc.

It is a much more convincing method of persuading other members, than simply "talking" about how a player plays. Such talk usually are not concrete and lead no where. Stats is a concrete evidence, like it or not, and allows you to make your point.

And sometimes, the stats really do not lie:
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,805
longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
Because not everyone has time to watch every single star in the NBA, watch their teams, watch their performance in the 4th, watch them play defense etc.

It is a much more convincing method of persuading other members, than simply "talking" about how a player plays. Such talk usually are not concrete and lead no where. Stats is a concrete evidence, like it or not, and allows you to make your point.

And sometimes, the stats really do not lie:

You don't need stats to tell you that Dirk completely outplayed Lebron that series, you can tell just by watching. If you went by stats alone you would think Lebron actually played well in the game where he got a meaningless triple double.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
ralph_i_el
The Wizard
 
ralph_i_el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: >implying
Posts: 3,738
ralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputation
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

Because there's an underlying bias in our society towards the infallibility of numbers
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
lilgodfather1
Wait and See
 
lilgodfather1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,300
lilgodfather1 is a pretty well-respected posterlilgodfather1 is a pretty well-respected posterlilgodfather1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

I would assume that the fixation is in part because they're easier to come by now then in the past. All it takes is a few clicks of the mouse to find every stat you can imagine, where as in the past before the internet you would have to collect boxscores.
lilgodfather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,651
97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What's the reason for today's fixation on stats?

The problem with stats is people refuse to put them into context. Also, people love to refer to them as the end all to be all. When that couldn't be furtherest from the truth.


Case and point Lebron James final appearance last year. In my opinion, James had a memorable and dominant 12 NBA finals. But I was shocked to find out he only shot 47% from the field. Durant on the other hand avg 30 ppg on 50% shooting but he never really put his stamp on the series.


I also feel there's just too many people that are more stat nerds than basketball fans.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy