Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Default Were there ever any suspicion about Wilt using roids in his post-nba career ?

I clearly remember Jlauber stating that Chamberlain was able to lift hundreds of pounds (500?) at age 50.

He played in Conan the destroyer (1984) at age 48 (gives or take a year for production)

Here is a pic of Wilt at 48 in other words. I don't believe to be mistaken as there is no indication of this movie being done before 1984.

That's Wilt at age 48. It's completely STUNNING as the test levels at this age have def. lowered.
It is a known fact that Chamberlain died of an heart attack.

It is also a known fact that roids cause heart problems.

Wilt died in 1999. The average expectancy for a Black American male in 1999 was 69.3 years. It goes up to 73.9 for white american Meaning he died anywhere from 6 to 10 years earlier than you average male american in 1999. And the dude was a Sportsman, a pure and utter beast who dominated every sport he stepped a foot in (Basketball, Volleyball), Dieing so young of an Heart problem factoring all that is quite strange.

Were there any suspicion he might have used roids when he left the Sports world in order to keep his out of this world body in that phenomenal shape ?

This ultimately leading to his death.

Source for most numbers :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087078/ (Conan the Destroyer)
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html (Life expectancy)

Last edited by Punpun : 10-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Default Re: Were there ever any suspicion about Wilt using roids in his post-nba career ?

I'd like to have Jlaub and his crew take on that as they know pretty much everything about him.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
ralph_i_el
EG's replacement

Default Re: Were there ever any suspicion about Wilt using roids in his post-nba career ?

no way to know. Obviously he was seriously physically gifted. But sometimes actor's use roids to buff up for roles. I don't think wilt did though.

the heart problems are also a symptom of...being super tall
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
no way to know. Obviously he was seriously physically gifted. But sometimes actor's use roids to buff up for roles. I don't think wilt did though.

the heart problems are also a symptom of...being super tall

Obviously, there is no way to know. And I don't believe he did. But were there any suspicion ? Because him being that fitted at age 48 (keep in mind he is 7"1) is quite frankly strange.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Jax
Great young streetballer

Not even Arnie was that fit when he reached 48 but yeah, Wilt's so tall that is quite strange, he looks 35 and ready to play.
Roids or no roids he kept working out, so, props to him.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
get these NETS
you can't stop me

never heard anything about it

wilt and bruce lee were FAR FAR ahead of the curve in terms of nutrition weight lifting etc

prevailing "knowledge" in their time said that weight training made you muscle bound less flexible and therefore less athletic

wilt said F that and helped usher in modern day training techniques for athletes

=============

can't help but wonder if the random...is THIS athlete juicing threads..are a result of lance armstrong being exposed as the fraud he is

when a great icon falls...rather than accept it for what it is.....mainstream......mainstream sports audiences..aka white guys has a tendency to make excuses or deflect the negativity towards other athletes...
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
get these NETS
you can't stop me

and I don't know at what age Arnold stopped lifting but I used to read M&F and the bodybuilding mags..

and when Arnold would show up for the Arnold Classic.......he looked to be in extremely great shape and he had to be 20 years out of competition

so the idea that not even arnold was in great shape at 48 seems a bit hard to believe......
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
and I don't know at what age Arnold stopped lifting but I used to read M&F and the bodybuilding mags.. and when Arnold would show up for the Arnold Classic.......he looked to be in extremely great shape and he had to be 20 years out of competition so the idea that not even arnold was in great shape at 48 seems a bit hard to believe......

Arnold roided though.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
get these NETS
you can't stop me

was just pointing out looking fit at 48 isn't rare...

person who pointed out that not even arnold was fit at 48 was trying to imply that wilt had to be roiding to look like that

lot of ex athletes are physical fitness nuts and stay in incredible shape

look at recent pics of vinny testaverde or herschell walker...guys who have to be close to that age range if not past it

some of what you say makes sense.....if wilt was a fitness nut...dying of heart problems before 50 doesn't quite add up...

would give him the benefit of the doubt though
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
get these NETS
you can't stop me

former nfl and usfl running back herschell walker

doing mma at age 48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsgbMpD_fw
Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Quote:

some of what you say makes sense.....if wilt was a fitness nut...dying of heart problems before 50 doesn't quite add up...

He died at age 63. Which is still way under the average expectancy in 1999. (The year he died)
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
get these NETS
you can't stop me

thanks for the correction

63?

that doesn't raise a red flag

remember Flo Jo? the celebrated 1980s runner?

SHE died at a rather young age..

I was confusing her with Wilt in terms of age...

----------
in terms of the life expectancy quoted...

not sure how accurate that is...

but you'd still figure that a rich healthy....assumed non smoker/drinker would live longer than 63

Last edited by get these NETS : 10-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
unbreakable
National High School Star

Quote:
former nfl and usfl running back herschell walker

doing mma at age 48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsgbMpD_fw

its common knowledge herschell is a roid freak
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
senelcoolidge
Good college starter

Chamberlain had a heart condition from his playing days. He nearly retired back in the 60's because of this. There was an interview on you tube where he talks about this. I couldn't find it. Lots of big men have heart issues. Life expectancy is usually lower for very big men.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Quote:
that doesn't raise a red flag

It does though since most cyclists died way below the average life expectancy. Which is what led to "thougher" drugs test from the cycling world. And which is why PED aren't quite accepted either. Because it was lowering the age of their athletes.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: