Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator
 
insidehoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,608
insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Dwight thinks so.

Read http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=11246
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,602
Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

I agree with him. No player spent more time defending himself in the media.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,575
Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I agree with him. No player spent more time defending himself in the media.




/End Thread
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
fpliii
NBA All-star
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nbastats.net
Posts: 9,979
fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

probably, but I have less of a problem with Chandler winning than an Ibaka (or some other shotblocker)

DPOY should be reserved for defensive anchors and the occasional shutdown perimeter defender
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor
 
Bigsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 17,111
Bigsmoke has a bad reputationBigsmoke has a bad reputationBigsmoke has a bad reputationBigsmoke has a bad reputation
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

well... how were the KNicks defensively before Chandler and then after getting him
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,637
IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
well... how were the KNicks defensively before Chandler and then after getting him

I'll never understand this argument.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Clifton
talk less, say more
 
Clifton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,114
Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

If it were up to me, KG would have gotten it every year since arriving in Boston. There is something about that team still being competitive that I have to credit to KG getting the *whole* team to be great defensively. Since being a Celtic, Ray Allen never was consistently good on offense... and Pierce's prime has been over for years. And KG wasn't even a top tier offensive player in his prime. Even though they've had 3 HOFers plus Rondo this whole time, that's never been why they've won. Those 3 HOFers have never really blown me away offensively. They win because of defense. And none of these guys were known for defense before KG.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 23,194
NumberSix is popular on this boardNumberSix is popular on this boardNumberSix is popular on this boardNumberSix is popular on this board
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

LeBron James should have won it.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
pauk
NBA Legend
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,717
pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Lebron James should have won it, ask all the coaches that gave Lebron the most 1st all-defensive team votes that year if that is just a "stan opinion"...
pauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,968
Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

DPOTY should be reserved for the best defensive player of that season. Whether it's shot-blocking, anchoring, locking down on the perimeter or whatever. The position should be less relevant.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Lebron James should have won it, ask all the coaches that gave Lebron the most 1st all-defensive team votes that year if that is just a "stan opinion"...



Disregarding that there are two forward spots open and disregarding that the DPOTY ended up on the 2nd Team.


So your argument makes no sense.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,979
BlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
probably, but I have less of a problem with Chandler winning than an Ibaka (or some other shotblocker)

DPOY should be reserved for defensive anchors and the occasional shutdown perimeter defender

This. If Dwight doesn't get hurt, he probably wins it again. However there's not much issue with Chandler winning it. There would have been if Ibaka had won it though, for although he is a outstanding shot blocker, he's an average to below average man defender.

Someone remind me, is DPOY voted by the media or coaches?
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year
 
tmacattack33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,309
tmacattack33 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115


Disregarding that there are two forward spots open and disregarding that the DPOTY ended up on the 2nd Team.


So your argument makes no sense.

1. The DPOY ended up on the second team because different people vote for the DPOY award.

2. Yes, there are two forward spots open on the team. And that is because there are two forward spot designations in the NBA (PF and SF) and so a forward competes with twice the amount of players than a center does. Not to mention that this is a historically weak time for centers.

3. Lebron was voted in as the second best defensive player (regardless of position) in the league by the GM's a few days ago.

So, Lebron certainly has an argument for the DPOY last year.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,968
Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
1. The DPOY ended up on the second team because different people vote for the DPOY award.

2. Yes, there are two forward spots open on the team. And that is because there are two forward spot designations in the NBA (PF and SF) and so a forward competes with twice the amount of players than a center does. Not to mention that this is a historically weak time for centers.

3. Lebron was voted in as the second best defensive player (regardless of position) in the league by the GM's a few days ago.

So, Lebron certainly has an argument for the DPOY last year.



I am aware of that. Fact remains that Chandler would have been high on a lot of GM's lists, and higher than Lebron.


And while Lebron competes against more players than does Howard, the issue is the cream of the crop. If the two standouts are centers, then one will lose out. Patrick Ewing made the All-Defensive Team 3 times. That's it. Most of the forwards on the first team were not better than Ewing on defense. The fact is, being comparable at the forward slot will not cost you as much. Being comparable at the center spot will. So what I said applies.


And I never said Lebron didn't have a case. But the logic there was heavily flawed, to say the least.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
Force
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,362
Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

Lebron deserved. He literally guarded all 5 positions all year long and into the playoffs as well and played incredible. So many of these awards they give out are BS anyways.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman
 
SyRyanYang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKLD,NZ
Posts: 2,889
SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Should Dwight Howard have won 2011-12 Defensive Player of Year?

DYOP is a joke anyway.
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy