Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #886
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation
Default Re: The LAST BIGASS Political Thread: Sprint to the finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I disagree on some of your views, but I don't disagree on the need for a more involved electorate.

But that's just damn hard for most people. I'm serious. People have their own lives to take care of, they don't have the time to follow policy. I like to think I'm at least somewhat intelligent and I can follow basically absolute dick about the ins and outs of the "fiscal cliff." And I'm a college educated single person with no kids. You want people that've never seen a college campus that're raising 3 kids and just trying to pay the light bill to understand deficit neutrality on a national scale?

I fully understand that it's frustrating, but the VAST majority of people see election results as "whatever, same shit, different day." Because it pretty much is. You can't expect the population as a whole to stand up and say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" I don't know how to build a real third party, but basically telling the general population that they're stupid clearly isn't going to work.

I remember the first time I heard about the Patriot Act, how pissed off and scared I was. I didn't follow politics at all during that time, I didn't identify with any political party, I never watched the news.... but seeing the government pass a law that so blatantly attacked my privacy was terrifying. I knew I didn't like Bush from that moment on, regardless of anything else he did. It was just a snap-reaction, I didn't have to think twice about it, or research anything. Just automatic.. **** that guy.

I admit I have a lot of time to research, because my job allows me to listen to podcasts all day + I am naturally just introverted and I spend a lot of time reading. But regardless, sometimes it's about what's in peoples hearts and souls. If you value freedom and individual rights, you don't need to do much research, you hear about the NDAA and never support Barack Obama again. Much to my surprise/chagrin, those things seem really unimportant to Americans right now. Which wouldn't bother me one bit, if they didn't have the power to elect snake politicians to take those things from me against my will.
joe is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: