Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: How great was peak Yao Ming?

yao ming sucks. only reason why people think he was good was because he was chinese. just like jeremy lin. if yao had been black or white he basically wouldve just been another shawn bradley.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by brain drain
    No, just no. Yao definitely didn't suck. He was actually very good. The only problem (besides the injuries of course) was he wasn't quick, so teams could give the Rockets serious problems by pushing the tempo on O and swarming and fronting him on D.
    this... also his other weakness was that the rockets could play small ball and were good at it...Yao used to slow them down.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by mateoboz
    I try not to talk about Yao too much because a lot of people, even fellow Rocket fans, get upset when I say this, but Yao sucked. I don't care what the numbers say. He was soft and had terrible hands. I've never seen a player who could put up such big numbers, while having such a negative impact on the game. If you didn't watch the game and just saw the box score, you would say, "Wow! Yao had 25 points and 11 rebounds and the Rockets won!" But what you didn't see was the crucial rebound he got outhustled for. Or the simple entry pass he fumbled away out of bounds. Many times we won the game not because of Yao, but in spite of Yao. There were things in his game he was good at. And I'll never fault him for Game 1 of the 2009 Semi-Finals when our trainer had him in the tunnel waving him toward the locker room, and he stopped and shook his head no, came back out and led us to victory over the Lakers, no doubt his finest moment as a Rocket. But I don't miss him and I'm so glad that era of Rockets basketball is behind us.
    This is like saying Shaq sucked because he wasn't a good FT shooter or elite shot blocker. Players typically have a flaw or two, but overall, Yao was a stud, period. On both ends of the floor. Plus scorer,rebounder,passer and defender. He was worth between 7.4 and 11.4 win shares every year of his career besides the last one, where he didn't play much at all.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    yao ming sucks. only reason why people think he was good was because he was chinese. just like jeremy lin. if yao had been black or white he basically wouldve just been another shawn bradley.
    Yah, because Bradley gave you 20,10 and 2 per 36 after all..........

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    This is like saying Shaq sucked because he wasn't a good FT shooter or elite shot blocker. Players typically have a flaw or two, but overall, Yao was a stud, period. On both ends of the floor. Plus scorer,rebounder,passer and defender. He was worth between 7.4 and 11.4 win shares every year of his career besides the last one, where he didn't play much at all.
    Yeah, like I said, I don't care what the numbers say. There is no clearer case of numbers not telling the whole story than there is with Yao. He just had a knack for making mistakes at the worst time, or on the simplest plays. But yeah...what can I say? I knew I would get eaten alive for that post, but that's just how I see it. I'm a lifelong Rockets fan, watched the guys whole career. Hell, I was watching the draft lottery when Steve Francis represented us and we won the #1 pick. I don't know what to say. He was so frustrating to watch. And, honestly, as much as I watched him and as passionately as I feel about him, it is SHOCKING to me to see how many people defend him. I always get shit on this subject. It's all good though. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I try not to talk about Yao too much because a lot of people, even fellow Rocket fans, get upset when I say this, but Yao sucked. I don't care what the numbers say. He was soft and had terrible hands. I've never seen a player who could put up such big numbers, while having such a negative impact on the game. If you didn't watch the game and just saw the box score, you would say, "Wow! Yao had 25 points and 11 rebounds and the Rockets won!" But what you didn't see was the crucial rebound he got outhustled for. Or the simple entry pass he fumbled away out of bounds. Many times we won the game not because of Yao, but in spite of Yao. There were things in his game he was good at. And I'll never fault him for Game 1 of the 2009 Semi-Finals when our trainer had him in the tunnel waving him toward the locker room, and he stopped and shook his head no, came back out and led us to victory over the Lakers, no doubt his finest moment as a Rocket. But I don't miss him and I'm so glad that era of Rockets basketball is behind us.

Lol. Well. At least you know you are wrong.

I think you're severely underrating the fact, or even forgetting, that having Yao anchored our entire defence. We got lucky that we had Dikembe to come in when Yao was resting, but without either, our whole defence just crumbled. Also, where else are you going to get that 20 and 9 from? Juwan Howard sure as heck wasn't going to get that for us.
    Last edited by brantonli; 07-10-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    Lol. Well. At least you know you are wrong.

I think you're severely underrating the fact, or even forgetting, that having Yao anchored our entire defence. We got lucky that we had Dikembe to come in when Yao was resting, but without either, our whole defence just crumbled. Also, where else are you going to get that 20 and 9 from? Juwan Howard sure as heck wasn't going to get that for us.
    I'll give you that. And Deke? Wow. The way he played for us completely changed the way I look at him and gave me a newfound respect for him as a player.

National High School Star

Yao was a beast .. Ill take him over Dwight hands down 7 days a week

Not airballing my layups anymore Mayweather's Avatar

The Rockets missed playoffs 3 straight years under Francis. After getting Yao, they at least made postseason 5 out of 7 years (6 if you don't count his rookie year). Yes lets throw out all of his production because he fumbles the ball at times. He sucks.

Houston became a top defensive league when Yao was on the team, lost that claim the minute Yao stopped playing. I'm sure soft Yao had nothing to do with this.

I guess you don't remember him getting hacked on the head by Shaq and still dunking the ball on him. That oozed "soft" for sure. Let me know if you did forget, I'll find that vid for you.

I've seen Kobe/Dwight/KD/Lebron put up big numbers but create big TOs late game. I guess they suck in your view too.

Ultimately Yao had his weaknesses, stamina, bad hands, and terrible lateral movements. But non of those can/should wipe away his strengths as a defensive anchor and of course put up buckets on offense. For you to discount all the positives and put up blanket "he sucked" is SHOCKING.

Very good NBA starter

i hated his hype during in his rookie year, even called him overrated, thought he was just another rik smits, but then he just kept on getting better and better every year. all gradual improvements.

can't knock on his hard work ethic. he shut me up by his peak, dropping 25 and 10 night in and night out.