Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Thought re: Phil Jackson

So I am not sure how often we all listen to AM 710 ESPN but I encourage those of you who don't to make that your number 1 radio station because of the lengthy discussions regarding the lakers, Dwight, D'Antoni, Phil...etc.

The past couple of weeks have been discussions regarding Phil Jackson and his comments of how he has no intentions to come back as a coach of any team, but that he was looking for more of a Jerry West type of role.

It got me thinking.......

Phil Jackson is the master of mind games, the Zen, (whatever other third nickname feel free to put here in this parenthesis).

Could this whole, "I am not interested in coaching..." thing be just another Zen mind game, to get the lakers to chase after him for more money? Why not I ask you? He's the same coach that brought the best out of lazy Shaquille O'Neal. This man can convince an anorexic patient that their bodies are just fine and that they need to eat more. He's the most interesting man in the world! He doesn't usually drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis!

Do you guys think all of Phil's comments are for the contrary? Or is the man really done with coaching?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Thought re: Phil Jackson

i was just reading on another message board about a power struggle between the buss family. apparently stephen a smith is reporting a power struggle. i'm not sure how this works, maybe a vote between buss family member? anyways, it's pretty obvious phil jackson should be running the lakers imo. bring in brian shaw to coach because u know phil's first order of business would be to get rid of mda.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
So I am not sure how often we all listen to AM 710 ESPN but I encourage those of you who don't to make that your number 1 radio station because of the lengthy discussions regarding the lakers, Dwight, D'Antoni, Phil...etc.

The past couple of weeks have been discussions regarding Phil Jackson and his comments of how he has no intentions to come back as a coach of any team, but that he was looking for more of a Jerry West type of role.

It got me thinking.......

Phil Jackson is the master of mind games, the Zen, (whatever other third nickname feel free to put here in this parenthesis).

Could this whole, "I am not interested in coaching..." thing be just another Zen mind game, to get the lakers to chase after him for more money? Why not I ask you? He's the same coach that brought the best out of lazy Shaquille O'Neal. This man can convince an anorexic patient that their bodies are just fine and that they need to eat more. He's the most interesting man in the world! He doesn't usually drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis!

Do you guys think all of Phil's comments are for the contrary? Or is the man really done with coaching?

max kellarman is a dumb a$$ and i am tired of him talking of Phil as if phil was some kind of 2nd coming....pathetic bastard....

and Yes Phil is playing power play to get him the job..coaching the lakers...

Last edited by Lakers_Kobe_Fan : 05-31-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
max kellarman is a dumb a$$ and i am tired of him talking of Phil as if phil was some kind of 2nd coming....pathetic bastard....

and Yes Phil is playing power play to get him the job..coaching the lakers...

I completely concur. Max and Marcellus shouldn't have jobs in this industry. I can't listen to them. No legitimate or realistic ideas come out of Max, then Marcellus just sits there making stupid noises.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
i was just reading on another message board about a power struggle between the buss family. apparently stephen a smith is reporting a power struggle. i'm not sure how this works, maybe a vote between buss family member? anyways, it's pretty obvious phil jackson should be running the lakers imo. bring in brian shaw to coach because u know phil's first order of business would be to get rid of mda.

How is it pretty obvious that Phil should run the lakers? What experience has he has running a team with the financial aspect, and all the laws involved in the CBA?
Isn't it strange to anyone else that no other team has spoken to Phil regarding a front office position?

He can coach, yes. Can Mitch coach? Not sure. I don't think so. But he sure as hell can be a great GM. Can phil be a great GM? Not sure. But we have all seen Phil's coaching style. Its irreplaceable.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
How is it pretty obvious that Phil should run the lakers? What experience has he has running a team with the financial aspect, and all the laws involved in the CBA?
Isn't it strange to anyone else that no other team has spoken to Phil regarding a front office position?

He can coach, yes. Can Mitch coach? Not sure. I don't think so. But he sure as hell can be a great GM. Can phil be a great GM? Not sure. But we have all seen Phil's coaching style. Its irreplaceable.
that's why you have people working under you, advisers and such. might as well give the man a chance, if the lakers are going to gamble, now is the time to do it imo. phil's not returning to coach the lakers, get over it.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
that's why you have people working under you, advisers and such. might as well give the man a chance, if the lakers are going to gamble, now is the time to do it imo. phil's not returning to coach the lakers, get over it.

But advising only goes a long way. Is the adviser going to sit there giving phil some small suggestions here and there? Or is he going to tell him how to do his job for him? This front office (even without Jerry...Rest his soul), has proven that they can bring in talent. Coaches, maybe not so much. But they'll learn. So what is the point of bringing Phil if he's not going to be coaching? Coaching is his field of expertise. Its the one thing he can do, where if Jim came in and started talking, I'd give Jim a red bouncy ball and tell him to leave the coaching to the grown-ups.

As talented of a coach as Phil is, I doubt he brings much to the table when it comes to managing teams. Don't forget, he once wanted to trade Andrew Bynum for Ron Artest. Leave the managing and such to Mitch and the Buss family. I have complete confidence in them. I also have complete confidence in Phil as a coach (although I do not like that we keep running back to him in situations of desperation).
Old 06-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Reminds me of the book entitled "Peter's Principle". example, not all great teachers can be great Principals.
Take MJ, Isiah Thomas, Chris Mullin, great players but horrible GMs.
The legendary coach Pat Riley, who grossly overpaid Bryan Grant etc etc. I say they wouldn't have had won their first ring if Shaq and Kobe found a way to co-exist and tolerate each other. Plus I really don't think Pat was the MAJOR reason that Lebron, Bosh and Wade decided to join forces.
Im not saying Pat is the ultimate worst but strongly believe he had his share of mistakes.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:

people are just delusional...i bet the same people said Jordan should run the front office of any team and he would be great.....

these are the same people who think Jeanie buss should run the lakers.

Jimbo almost got us CP3 in 1 season and Howard the next season.....

On coaching options he could have done much better...but we will see

think about it...you own a business from your father and your sister and her bf are scheming to get it from you....would you let that happen by hiring Phil Jackson??? I dont think so.....which atleast i totally understand

on a diffn note: I am OK with Howard leaving. I am just not sold on him as a winner....or a mutha fcuka oncourt who will do anything to win...
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Reminds me of the book entitled "Peter's Principle". example, not all great teachers can be great Principals.
Take MJ, Isiah Thomas, Chris Mullin, great players but horrible GMs.
The legendary coach Pat Riley, who grossly overpaid Bryan Grant etc etc. I say they wouldn't have had won their first ring if Shaq and Kobe found a way to co-exist and tolerate each other. Plus I really don't think Pat was the MAJOR reason that Lebron, Bosh and Wade decided to join forces.
Im not saying Pat is the ultimate worst but strongly believe he had his share of mistakes.

these 3 guys decided to play together and chose Miami.

when conveyed the message all Pat Riley had to do was clear the cap space...

Pat convincing all of them to sign for less is all BS and media driven agenda
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
these 3 guys decided to play together and chose Miami.

when conveyed the message all Pat Riley had to do was clear the cap space...

Pat convincing all of them to sign for less is all BS and media driven agenda

In a word.........NO
Riley is, and has always been a brilliant man and master negotiator, he knows how to lead and motivate people. There is no reasonable argument for diminishing his power and influence on the deal nor the success of the team.

It would be like someone doing the same thing of Jerry West's brilliance in getting Kobe and Shaq in the same year.

As for Phil being G.M., I have no doubt that he could do the job, no reason to doubt him, especially given the word that Mitch was on board with the hiring of the terrible Mikes.

No GM in history has a perfect record.....but some are far better than others.

As far as which Buss should be running the team, anyone and everyone who has ever been around both Jeanie and Jimmy would tell you that there is no comparison. Jimmy has always been an "Entitled prick" who was always in Jerry's pocket for money and never learned a damn thing about basketball nor how to run a team.....and the results show. I have been warning guys about Jimmy for years. Jeanie is just the opposite, she has worked her ass off to learn everything she could, never missing any opportunity dating back to being team manager in middle school and high school.....going on to run the LA World team tennis as GM, winning 2 championships before the age of 24.
Jeanie has been devoted to every aspect o running a team longer than most of you have been alive, she needs to run this team, Jimmy will only continue to screw things up and ruin the Lakers legacy.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Phil's old, in bad shape, and doesn't like the heavy travel of the NBA schedule. I really do believe he doesn't want to coach. Maybe "want" isn't the right word... maybe it's more of a thing where if there was a great opportunity to win another ring and he was healthy enough he would do it. Now he wants more of a Pat Riley kind of role. I think that would be a good situation for him.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Phil's old, in bad shape, and doesn't like the heavy travel of the NBA schedule. I really do believe he doesn't want to coach. Maybe "want" isn't the right word... maybe it's more of a thing where if there was a great opportunity to win another ring and he was healthy enough he would do it. Now he wants more of a Pat Riley kind of role. I think that would be a good situation for him.

Phil is in better health today than he was 4 years ago.
As I said before we hired each of the terrible Mikes, I would take Phil coaching the home games and Bernie the road games......with Phil doing all in the playoffs over hiring an idiot coach....or two. I think we ALL agree at this point.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Phil is in better health today than he was 4 years ago.
As I said before we hired each of the terrible Mikes, I would take Phil coaching the home games and Bernie the road games......with Phil doing all in the playoffs over hiring an idiot coach....or two. I think we ALL agree at this point.

Absolutely we would all take him back. I just don't think that's what Phil wants exactly.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: