Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #211
General
Serious playground baller

Default Re: Are you in the path of Hurricane Sandy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mble-pump.html
People should never depend on government to save them because they are incompetent. When a natural disaster hits everyone has a responsibility to prepare and fend for themselves.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #212
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Raising prices like that is illegal. I hope those gas station owners get shot in the balls.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #213
DuMa
Canned

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201..._recovery.html

very surreal photos. i was just in NYC in june.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #214
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Just spent a couple of hours sorting and packing supplies headed for the Rockways. Hipsters coming through in my neighborhood

It's hard to tell with the reflection in that picture but it's an overhead shot of supplies being sorted and packed. That must have been from yesterday, it was way more crowded with goods and people today. Outside the whole front of the store was piled high with supplies too.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 11-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #215
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by General

People should never depend on government to save them because they are incompetent. When a natural disaster hits everyone has a responsibility to prepare and fend for themselves.

That's what this country was founded on E Pluribus Fend For Yourselves.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #216
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysunny
We just recently got our power back. It's been so cold for the last few days.

Don't ever underestimate the speed of the storm surge. I know people who've been through it say they can't stress it enough but holy shit I've never seen anything like it. I thought the water coming in would be visible and obvious enough so that we can act accordingly, but it just sneaks up on you so quietly before you know it the water is coming up to your knees. The damage done to my house was limited but this is the first time I was legitimately scared of the storm. Seriously **** floods. Those waters can suck my dick.

i was driving in New Orleans, toward the french quarter. Started raining hard. One of those emergency broadcast things came on like 30 seconds into the rain, said to pull over. Im like **** this, 10 minutes and im home. Then i see the water start to come behind me. I pull over. Less than 1 minute literally after the storm started tehre is about a foot of water in the street and getting higher.

Scary shit.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #217
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillJackson
Where in Brooklyn are you?

My brother is without power and heat in Red Hook. My in-laws in CT, have a flooded basement.

My grandmother's nursing home in Sheepshead Bay had to evacuate and they took her a place on Long Island, which then lost power. They then said they could move them back to Sheepshead Bay but we haven't been able get through on the phone yet. My brother should be able to get out their tonight.

My best friend grew up in Breezy Point right near where the fire was. His Mom's house was flooded and probably will be condemned. She was at a nearby convalescent home. They told my friend they were evacuating so he didn't go to pick her up, but they never did evacuate. The whole first floor was destroyed. He tried to drive out to see the house, but they are not letting folks in yet, but the parts of Rockaway he did see were devastated.

A group near me is packing up clothes and food to go out there, so I'm gathering up some stuff.

I work in Hoboken on the Water, still flooded out there. That Path train station with the water pouring out of the elevator was my station.

There's another storm coming. Please consider making a donation to the Red Cross. This is going to be bad for a while.

I'm in Sheepshead Bay too. Hope your grandmother is ok. I don't even know how we got the power back. The electricity pole in my street was knocked down and people said it could take as long as to Saturday to get it fixed. I didn't see anyone come and fix it. It just miraculously came back on. Our cellphone service is still crap though. Not sure why that is.
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #218
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
i was driving in New Orleans, toward the french quarter. Started raining hard. One of those emergency broadcast things came on like 30 seconds into the rain, said to pull over. Im like **** this, 10 minutes and im home. Then i see the water start to come behind me. I pull over. Less than 1 minute literally after the storm started tehre is about a foot of water in the street and getting higher.

Scary shit.

lol yea you know exactly what I mean. Haven't felt fear like that in a long time.

What were you doing in NO? You lived there in the past?
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #219
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by General

True that. Yet, Bush gets all the blame for katrina.

So funny how people absolutely depend on fossil fuels but want to talk so much shit about oil companies. I can bet that it's especially predominant in the tri-state area. Very hypocritical.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 11-02-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #220
FillJackson
I'm down with HRC

Quote:
I'm in Sheepshead Bay too. Hope your grandmother is ok. I don't even know how we got the power back. The electricity pole in my street was knocked down and people said it could take as long as to Saturday to get it fixed. I didn't see anyone come and fix it. It just miraculously came back on. Our cellphone service is still crap though. Not sure why that is.

Yeah, just spoke with my brother. She's doing OK just tired. 98 years old still upright and walking. He said the whole first floor to the place is gone and the workers were ripping up the carpeting when he was there.

He was very happy to Roll n Roaster was open and serving.

FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #221
knickballer
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
True that. Yet, Bush gets all the blame for katrina.

So funny how people absolutely depend on fossil fuels but want to talk so much shit about oil companies. I can bet that it's especially predominant in the tri-state area. Very hypocritical.

Wouldn't that be a good reason to find an alternative fuel source then? Oh, that's right oil companies bribe politicians to not find an alternative source.

As for the storm it hit my town pretty good although nothing compared to other areas(my town is in perfect shape compared to others).. I still don't have power, half of the gas stations are empty or closed and the ones that are opened have HUGE lines on them, some stores have been vandalized, alot of homes are flooded and some sections had to be closed of since they were right on the water(and completely flooded), trees are everywhere, more than half of my area doesn't have power(no traffic lights) and it's cold. It kinda looked like a doomsday scene, it was pretty surreal. I can live without hot water, lights, electric for cooking, heat, etc, but I do my internet and a outlet to charge my laptop though.

I'm still eating like a king though
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #222
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Wouldn't that be a good reason to find an alternative fuel source then? Oh, that's right oil companies bribe politicians to not find an alternative source.

As for the storm it hit my town pretty good although nothing compared to other areas(my town is in perfect shape compared to others).. I still don't have power, half of the gas stations are empty or closed and the ones that are opened have HUGE lines on them, some stores have been vandalized, alot of homes are flooded and some sections had to be closed of since they were right on the water(and completely flooded), trees are everywhere, more than half of my area doesn't have power(no traffic lights) and it's cold. It kinda looked like a doomsday scene, it was pretty surreal. I can live without hot water, lights, electric for cooking, heat, etc, but I do my internet and a outlet to charge my laptop though.

I'm still eating like a king though

The fuck politicians going to do find an alternative source? They aren't scientists.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #223
IGotACoolStory
Mohamed Bamba

Stay safe.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #224
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
lol yea you know exactly what I mean. Haven't felt fear like that in a long time.

What were you doing in NO? You lived there in the past?
i have friends there, i've been there a few times. This time i described (and the last time) was 2 years ago. Very scary, it's like a horror movie thing, all of a sudden the water is everywhere and not stopping.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #225
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory

Stay safe.
that roller coaster looked like it sucked anyway. if anything it will help them rebuild it better, still sucks terribly though. anyone know how wildwood made out?
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: