Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far
Default Anyone a fan of Calvin and Hobbes?

As a child growing up I read and loved them.. and recently I came across the whole collection on a torrent so I got it and put it on my tablet to read.

I can't believe how good it is to me still, it's deep sometimes and makes you think a lot.

however, I did some search and then found this:

note: it's not real

this pic is just so heart-breaking..
well.. despite the fact that it's not real.. my whole perspective changed after seeing this pic.. going back to read the comics, you see him in a different light.. now i feel so much sympathy for the kid - his hatred of school, lack of friends, things he made up just to imagine hobbes, his parents dealing with him, etc
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Jameerthefear
Banned

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Anyone a fan of Calvin and Hobbes?

I LOVE calvin and hobbes. i've been reading em since i was like 6 or 7. When I first saw that picture i literally cried, not gonna lie
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Doesnt Calvin really personify MOST little children though?

None of us wanted to be in school...we wanted to play, and we all had our little stuffed animals, or favorite toys back in the day. Sense of adventure, and imaginary scenarios and missions etc.

http://youtu.be/QyXJfUPSQhM
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
damn, that's even more hardcore..
Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah I have all the books and read them a ton as a children. In fact I pulled one out Something Under the Bed is Drooling the other day and had a few laughs.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
I LOVE calvin and hobbes. i've been reading em since i was like 6 or 7. When I first saw that picture i literally cried, not gonna lie
I always preferred locke and rousseau. Hobbes leviathan approach was too heavy handed and calvin was always too preachy for me.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
I always preferred locke and rousseau. Hobbes leviathan approach was too heavy handed and calvin was always too preachy for me.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The snowmen were always my favorites. Here's some of the good ones:

DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who DOESN'T like Calvin and Hobbes would probably be a better question.

It's a great comic. Absolutely great.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Killbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

YES! I always loved the Snowman parts.
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Who DOESN'T like Calvin and Hobbes would probably be a better question.

It's a great comic. Absolutely great.
This. I always liked the ones about the meaning of life and Hobbes becoming all Zen-like.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My old man had a few Calvin & Hobbes and Dilbert collections that I read as a kid. Pretty awesome stuff. I imagine being older and re-reading them would be even more interesting.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

I love the ones where he treats his dad like a president running for office, like in that last pic there
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

I've been meaning to get the anthology for a long time
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Easily my favorite comic strip of all time. Love Calvin and Hobbes.

Waterson didn't sell out either. No movies, TV show, or selling rights to corporation. Didn't want to cheapen it. He just retired and that was that.

bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: