Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Why does the republican party pander to the extreme right wing?

To me they seem to be alienating a larger demographic of voters than they are gaining by pandering to those fringe groups. Am I right or wrong? I mean if the republican party went back towards the center, the fringe groups would have to follow suit anyway wouldn't they? It isn't like they are going to vote democrat. Even if they lost voters from those fringe elements wouldn't the difference still be made up by the masses in the moderate camp? I'm not sure if I am missing a factor or not, but from the outside looking in I have literally no idea why the republicans are going to such lengths to gain support from people who are almost certifiably insane? Are there more of them than I realise? Or is it just some ideology or thought process they can't break out of?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board
Default Re: Why does the republican party pander to the extreme right wing?

the short answer: because they're bullshit.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

imo because the extreme right wing, mostly the religious right, are a HUGE voter base. without them the Republican party would be nothing. sure they might gain more moderates if they went more center but it would be a big gamble for a lesser base. the other thing is the profiles of the type of people that are moderate Republican in a lot of cases coincide with being religious to some degree and having some similarities to those extreme right wing moral values on social issues.

you can't underestimate the amount of God, country, and guns demographic of voters and they're all pretty far right, and as partisan anti Democrat as they come.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputation

If the Republican moved to the center then it could potentially create a 3rd party, which might not be a bad think. I think if the Republican got serious on fiscal issues and stayed away from social conservative/bible belt politics they would have little trouble in winning elections.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
imo because the extreme right wing, mostly the religious right, are a HUGE voter base. without them the Republican party would be nothing. sure they might gain more moderates if they went more center but it would be a big gamble for a lesser base. the other thing is the profiles of the type of people that are moderate Republican in a lot of cases coincide with being religious to some degree and having some similarities to those extreme right wing moral values on social issues.

you can't underestimate the amount of God, country, and guns demographic of voters and they're all pretty far right, and as partisan anti Democrat as they come.

I think a lot of moderate democrats would vote republican too if they dropped the religious right. How many people vote democrat because they are scared of the religious right instead of voting because they are actually democrat???
Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
I think a lot of moderate democrats would vote republican too if they dropped the religious right. How many people vote democrat because they are scared of the religious right instead of voting because they are actually democrat???

thing is to a lot of Democrats they're okay with the far left imo, or rather don't see it as such a negative aspect of the party even if they don't always agree. like helping the environment is noble but if/when it hurts business when we're in a slow economy then moderates might choose to go with less regulations and be against their far left proposals. the idea of being so turned off by the far left isn't like it is with the right imo. the far right are borderline crazies and extremists to be very afraid of to most moderates. the far left in a lot of cases are emo passivists. so i think a moderate Republican not so grounded in religious/moral causes will take more issue with their far right pushes than moderate Democrats will with their far left pushes. i think most Democrats are pretty moderate where as i think a lot of the Republican party leans further right.

i just think the religious right votes are massive with such a network to get their base to vote where they have such a big say in the outcomes of each election. and i don't think there are enough moderate lefts and independents that would switch to make up for them. just my opinion.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
the short answer: because they're bullshit.

and racist. Gotta cater to the fear in the white man's heart that all the color folk are gonna take over and force everyone on welfare.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

They're going to have to break ranks with the Tea Party sooner rather than later -- the demographics and values of America are changing rapidly and hard-line conservatism (especially when it comes to social issues) makes it difficult for even long-standing Republicans to feel at ease with today's GOP.

I always say that I have no problem with moderate republicans except for the fact that there seem to be so few of them.

I say that partly in jest, because I know full well they do exist -- it's just that in today's GOP they have absolutely no voice. None.

In 2016, if they're smart, they'd nominate guys like Jeb Bush or Chris Christie as opposed to tea partiers like Rubio and Jindal.

If they lose to Obama twice....that tea party ship has sailed and has obviously not gained any traction on a national level and never will.

Following losses to Democrats, the Republican line of thinking has always been "oh, we just weren't conservative enough". The Romney camp obviously knows this is not a smart strategy as you can see by Romney's mad dash to the middle during the televised debates.

Whether the GOP will do the same is anybody's guess.

But with the amount of Obama hatred out there -- they may just double-down on crazy again.

Last edited by Take Your Lumps : 10-31-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

because america is full of stupid and gullible people that will vote no matter the party's platform is because they think they are making the right "moral" choice. Most people know nothing about economics and politics. If they did, Dems would win every election by virtue of the fact their economic policies help low income and middle class families. But we got middle america voting against their economic interests time and time again because of things like abortion and gay marriage.
DukeDelonte13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Because unlike talking about voting, they actually go out and vote.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
Because unlike talking about voting, they actually go out and vote.

Which is why we have a black president?
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, you'd think it's gonna tear them apart eventually. Some could shift to fiscal conservativism without a focus on military spending and cut the bullshit social issues that are ridiculous.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Yeah, you'd think it's gonna tear them apart eventually. Some could shift to fiscal conservativism without a focus on military spending and cut the bullshit social issues that are ridiculous.

A LOT of people would buy that platform. Hell, I'm pretty damn liberal and I consider myself a fiscal centrist.

I think it all comes down to party leadership. Who is really in charge of the GOP and were will they take it?

If they lose twice to Barack Obama I don't think there's a serious case to be made that they weren't conservative enough and that the right course of action is to out-crazy themselves in 2016...that's bullshit.

Here's what I would do if I was in charge:

#1 Shun all public officials who keep saying dumb shit about rape and abortion. Seriously.

#2 Groom Chris Christie over the next four years and nominate him in 2016.

Even as a liberal, I can appreciate Christie's honesty, candor, and backbone.

Get him to agree to a modest fitness/diet regimen that will allow him to drop at least 100 lbs in 4 years. 2 lbs/mo. is not a lot to ask of a guy that size.

This country is full of fat people. I can see a lot of people not only connecting with him, but also pulling for him to continue to work hard and keep it off.

Jeb Bush could also be a moderate choice (relatively speaking) but America might have Bush-fatigue at this point.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
A LOT of people would buy that platform. Hell, I'm pretty damn liberal and I consider myself a fiscal centrist.

I think it all comes down to party leadership. Who is really in charge of the GOP and were will they take it?

If they lose twice to Barack Obama I don't think there's a serious case to be made that they weren't conservative enough and that the right course of action is to out-crazy themselves in 2016...that's bullshit.

Here's what I would do if I was in charge:

#1 Shun all public officials who keep saying dumb shit about rape and abortion. Seriously.

#2 Groom Chris Christie over the next four years and nominate him in 2016.

Even as a liberal, I can appreciate Christie's honesty, candor, and backbone.

Get him to agree to a modest fitness/diet regimen that will allow him to drop at least 100 lbs in 4 years. 2 lbs/mo. is not a lot to ask of a guy that size.

This country is full of fat people. I can see a lot of people not only connecting with him, but also pulling for him to continue to work hard and keep it off.

Jeb Bush could also be a moderate choice (relatively speaking) but America might have Bush-fatigue at this point.

How would Jeb Bush be different than George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
How would Jeb Bush be different than George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush?

wait, you don't see differences in H.W and W. Bush???
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: