Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #46
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Overdrive has decent reputationOverdrive has decent reputation
Default Re: People actually think that reducing the size of military will weaken America...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
I don't have words to describe the f**king idiocy I'm reading in this thread. Terrorism will decrease if we cut our defense spending? They hate us because we bomb and occupy their countries. What muslim country were we bombing and occupying on 9/11 or the first time they tried to blow up the WTC? Pick up a history book you f**king morons.

How can a strong military by numbers prevent the US from assymetric war attacks? The war on Iraq/Afghanistan weren't the first wars/revolutions in the middle east/asia the US took part.

Quote:
The enemies of the future like the Chinese and the Russians are going to require larger numbers of forces than the wars in the middle east. Also, what wins wars for us is technological superiority and that costs money. The .gov blows through money like a coke addict. We need to reign in spending that is not neccessary. National defense is one of the few important responsabilities that .gov has. How does sending billions of dollars in foreign aid to countries that hate us benefit the citizens of the USA?

If the US would aid the money to education and development of those countries instead of having huge amounts of footsoldiers you'd get rid of those hateful people.

Al-Quaida recruits 8 years olds from families, because they cannot afford their kid. The US should try to make those kids openminded. Build schools, create chances for those people you war against instead of killing them. They'd be grateful if their outlook in life would be something else than opium farmer or suicidebomber.

Last edited by Overdrive : 11-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #47
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: People actually think that reducing the size of military will weaken America...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacers4ever
I'm going to need that essay/rant for school if you don't mind.
Haha go ahead!
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #48
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuppersGB
nice, decent and enjoyable read. Though contrary to what I said earlier I would like counter this argument:
In a world of uncertainty that we live in the only currency is power. What is power? is it economics? - yes in part, is it diplomacy? - yes in part or the notion of history and prestige? - yes again. However the real truth is that power lies in violence, the true concept of a nation state relies on the ability to act violently to legitimise power. Thusly, in a world of uncertainty surely increasing the monopoly, of the ability to assert, power through its one true identity:violence is the only way to truly defend yourself.
Well, I do believe in using military power as a key component of foreign policy. Economic power and diplomacy are other factors as well, not to mention sound intelligence and proper use of advisors.

Notice that I said "power" and not "force". Military power to me is utilizing the capabilities you have in such a way that it's a presence in negotiations. Utilize the potential of the military more than actual force, because this will lead to concessions by foreign leaders. We know that we can blow any country's capital to ashes in hours, we must use that to our advantage..but not practically unless that time and place comes.

For example, if Iran wants to continue down this path, we have to continue using economic sanctions but assert our military capabilities too and stress to the Iranian leadership that we won't back off. This doesn't mean a full on use of force, the only way I would advocate that would be if Iran attacked Israel.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #49
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
D-Rose-

I can't respond to all that bullshit. A forum like this is not a place for f**king essays. I think you are naive and the scary thing is that the United States is breeding and entire generation of people who think just like you. Best of luck to you when the shit hits the fan......and it will.
That statement's rather ironic, because I think you are being naive by taking a narrow and one sided view on foreign policy, one that has proven to fail America in the past few decades or so.

And I will need all the luck I can get, as this is the field I'm pursuing a career in.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #50
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
We should cut back, but we need to cut entitlements first.

List of cuts:

Welfare and food stamps

Medicare

SS

Parent planhood

PBS

Medicaid

Subsidies for oil companies

No more freebies.

Oil companies don't get subsidies dude.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: