Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: how much debt do you have?

About $2k. No loans remaining. Just the credit card which iv yet to pay this month.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

I graduate this year and will be at about 17k thanks to scholarships, otherwise id be facing about 100k stricly from college.

Next year I start law school so I anticipate i'll be around 100k by the time im completely done with school, but hopefully I can figure out a way to lower that number a bit. Although if I find the right job im sure that debt won't be a major issue.
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
are you still in school?

You could say that.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
you are lawyer right? did u get a scholarship or u staring down some hefty numbers?

I got a small scholarship but I have a lot of debt. I'm kind of embarrassed by the number. I have a little over 75k left. I have debated moving in with family for 5 years and living on pb&j and paying it off. But, I'm too chickenshit to do that.

Sucks because I've been talking to a contact for a job with a large non-profit that works with inner city kids and tries to put them on track to a better life. It sounds awesome. It would give me time to coach AAU etc. I would also have my loans forgiven in ten years. Downside, I would have to move up in the corporation and wouldnt gain marketable skills. I hate that money is starting to rule my life choices. Debt sucks.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 11-04-2012 at 08:18 PM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsPackers
I graduate this year and will be at about 17k thanks to scholarships, otherwise id be facing about 100k stricly from college.

Next year I start law school so I anticipate i'll be around 100k by the time im completely done with school, but hopefully I can figure out a way to lower that number a bit. Although if I find the right job im sure that debt won't be a major issue.

don't do it bro. go to this site xoxohth.com and ask about the climate for attorneys. it just isn't the right time. go get some life experience and revisit this idea in the future if you must.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I got a small scholarship but I have a lot of debt. I'm kind of embarrassed by the number. I have a little over 75k left. I have debated moving in with family for 5 years and living on pb&j and paying it off. But, I'm too chickenshit to do that.

Sucks because I've been talking to a contact for a job with a large non-profit that works with inner city kids and tries to put them on track to a better life. It sounds awesome. It would give me time to coach AAU etc. I would also have my loans forgiven in ten years. Downside, I would have to move up in the corporation and wouldnt gain marketable skills. I hate that money is starting to rule my life choices. Debt sucks.

75k isn't that bad at all. I have a newly minted lawyer friend who's in for over 150k and he had a scholarship! the thing i like about school is that it really preps u for frugality.

that job sounds really sweet. sounds like it would be something that gives back to the community quite a bit so a lot of pecuniary value there
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
75k isn't that bad at all. I have a newly minted lawyer friend who's in for over 150k and he had a scholarship! the thing i like about school is that it really preps u for frugality.

that job sounds really sweet. sounds like it would be something that gives back to the community quite a bit so a lot of pecuniary value there

I purposely went to a state school for the lower tuition.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 11-04-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
MetsPackers
new based god

Quote:
don't do it bro. go to this site xoxohth.com and ask about the climate for attorneys. it just isn't the right time. go get some life experience and revisit this idea in the future if you must.

Wait, your a lawyer? I've really been considering possibly taking a year or two off and getting a job related to my degree to save money for law school and avoid debt. I'll have a double major BA in Poli Sci and International Relations. I'm also spending next semester in Washington working with the DoD, so if things go really smoothly I may just try to hold a job down there.

I've heard how the climate isn't spectacular for attorneys right now, but I do have a few connections that could possibly land me a job. A very good family friend who is going to write me a letter of recommendation for Columbia (his alma mater) has always been saying he'd help me break into the field once I finsished school makes me think I should just keep pushing with the education. Plus, who's to say things won't look better in 3 years when I finish law school?

My older brother already finished law school and works up in Chicago right now and is actually making really good money, but all my professors basically say the same as you. What is it about the current state of the economy that makes becoming an attorney not worth it right now?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsPackers
Wait, your a lawyer? I've really been considering possibly taking a year or two off and getting a job related to my degree to save money for law school and avoid debt. I'll be a double major BA in Poli Sci and International Relations. I'm also spending next semester in Washington working with the DoD, so if things go really smoothly I may just try to hold a job down there.

I've heard how the climate isn't spectacular for attorneys right now, but I do have a few connections that could possibly land me a job. A very good family friend who is going to write me a letter of recommendation for Columbia (his alma mater) has always been saying he'd help me break into the field once I finsished school makes me think I should just keep pushing with the education. Plus, who's to say things won't look better in 3 years when I finish law school?

My older brother already finished law school and works up in Chicago right now and is actually making really good money, but all my professors basically say the same as you. What is it about the current state of the economy that makes becoming an attorney not worth it right now?

First, answer one question. Why do you want to be a lawyer? It is a very labor intensive job. Compared to the work you put the salary isn't great.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 11-04-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #25
MetsPackers
new based god

Quote:
First, answer one question. Why do you want to be a lawyer? It is a very labor intensive job. Compared to the work you put the salary isn't great.

Why? For the money. Period. My real passion in what I study now is truly IR, I love learning about other countries and their history, current economy, how their political insitutions interact and affect the people ect.

I know money isn't the right thing to say, but I know I can get into/finish law school based on where I already am academically. I also love debate, and there are a lot of things about being a lawyer that appeal to me. And i'm sure if you put in enough work in your field your salary will match the work you put in.

The family friend I mentioned started out as a law clerk, and worked his way up to being a partner at his own divorce firm, and makes $550 an hour, ballin house, maserati in the driveway, money out the ass, etc. That's where I want to be by the time im his age (45). I honestly don't care how hard I have to work as long as when I get home I have money in my pocket, a nice car, and can provide a great life for my family. And I know I can really do it too.

Pursuing a job in International Relations would also be much more difficult being that I only speak English, am white, and have never even been outside the states

I feel like ever since high school I always had intended to become a lawyer, and I really can't imagine myself holding any other kind of job and liking it (other than something related to IR)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
LosLakers
I brick open layups

LosLakers has an OK reputation so far

Graduated in 2005. Pilot. 140K in the hole with no $$/stable future in site. Airline industry is a huge fukked up fail.
LosLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #27
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i owe a favor to the mob, thats about it
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #28
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

None from undergrad because I've been fortunate with scholarships and well-planned savings by my family. I graduate in May and I'm thinking about economics grad school. I prob won't be able to get into the schools I want based on my math history (I just haven't taken enough courses yet). I'll prob take a job at the consulting firm I'm interning at for 3 years while taking math courses and then go for a PhD.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #29
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Financial Aid paid for all of mine. Didn't go to graduate school.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #30
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Like $1500. Nothing really.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: