Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

Default Harden Wanted More Time To Consider Final Offer From Thunder

Quote:
Reflecting back on his trade from the Oklahoma City Thunder, James Harden is disappointed that his former team's front office only gave him one hour to consider their final offer of a four-year, $54 million contract.

"After everything we established everything we had done you give me an hour?" Harden told Yahoo! Sports on Monday afternoon. "This was one of the biggest decisions of my life. I wanted to go home and pray about it. It hurt me. It hurt."

Harden is unsure if extra time would have led him to accepting the offer rather than end up traded to the Houston Rockets.

"Who knows? Another day, who knows what another day would've done?"

The Rockets had been pushing to complete the trade by Friday, but the Thunder wanted to present a final offer to Harden with a 60-minute window.

"I think they valued my talent there," Harden said. "They built me there: my work ethic, my body. They changed my life. I think they know how good I can be."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ja...-06561809.html
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
RRR3
NBA Legend

Default Re: Harden Wanted More Time To Consider Final Offer From Thunder

Sam Presti exposed.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

The Harden trade will haunt the Thunder front office for a couple years if not more. They really blew it when they didn't find a way to keep him in OKC
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
JMT
NBA lottery pick

You get 20 minutes to decide whether or not you want the lungs offered for a double lung transplant which could either end or save your life.

And that decision can be presented at any time, day or night.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

if harden can even manage 20 ppg on 43% presti will be exposed as a terrible GM
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
The Harden trade will haunt the Thunder front office for a couple years if not more. They really blew it when they didn't find a way to keep him in OKC
Yes, it will. To me, losing Harden no longer makes them frightening.

I hope Harden makes them pay, too and continues his growth to becoming a superstar.

His ceiling is higher than Westrbook, it could be a blessing in disguise. No longer destined for the Manu Ginobili role. He can create an actual legacy.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again

The NBA and it's teams are a business, as well.

Harden should obviously have some emotion about it, but he should have known better. You can get moved at any time if you aren't that proven. Sure there's potential, but it doesn't come before the team and they knew they couldn't be locked up with too much money.

Anyways, it works well for both sides if the Thunder draft smartly for the future.

Last edited by Legends66NBA7 : 11-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
chocolatethunder
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Sam Presti exposed.
Exposed for what? It's a negotiation. Presti is exposed for being a shrewd businessman. What's wrong with that? Why is it that when players want to play hardball it's no big deal but when GMs do al of a sudden it's a problem? What Presti did is let it be known that he has a plan and if you're not willing to go along with the plan then he'll find someone else who can. They don't owe Harden anything nor does Harden owe them anything. They are the ones who had faith in him and drafted him and developed him. He did his part in believing in their system and doing the work. Presti didn't make this offer take it or leave it as his first offer so it shouldn't have been any sort of surprise. Is he better than KD or Westbrook? Most people would say no. As any NBA fan knows, a teams fate/success can change rapidly with a freak injury or a number of other circumstances. Presti didn't want to commit to a max deal w/Harden and possibly compromise the team's future. You can't have everything all the time and you have to maintain some flexibility long term. This is the reality of the NBA now. Harden is $80 million richer. No need to go home and pray about that.
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
KyrieTheFuture
College star

I think Presti should stick to drafting he doesn't seem to be a savvy trader.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
lilgodfather1
Wait and See

The Thunder's part of this trade can't truly be evaluated until two things happen, A) the Toronto pick they recieved in the trade is made, and B) Lamb has time to develop.

I still don't like the trade for OKC, but if Lamb becomes what Harden was for them, and that Toronto pick turns into a solid C then who is to say that it wasn't a great trade for both teams.

For Harden i'm sure it sucks being shipped from a contender to a first round exit at best, but that extra 26 million dollars should help heal him, and possibly his first of many all star appearances.
lilgodfather1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Don't want to hear small market teams complain anymore that "Lebron James won't ever go sign with..."

THIS IS THE REASON WHY!!! OKC had a 23 year old Olympian that hadn't even hit his prime, and they traded him away. Miami, LA, NY, Chicago, etc would never trade away a core player for luxury tax reasons.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Don't want to hear small market teams complain anymore that "Lebron James won't ever go sign with..."

THIS IS THE REASON WHY!!! OKC had a 23 year old Olympian that hadn't even hit his prime, and they traded him away. Miami, LA, NY, Chicago, etc would never trade away a core player for luxury tax reasons.

Chicago and NY? Really? It's funny that you mention those teams since Harden has teammates who were considered part of those teams cores just last year.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
New World Order
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
Exposed for what? It's a negotiation. Presti is exposed for being a shrewd businessman. What's wrong with that? Why is it that when players want to play hardball it's no big deal but when GMs do al of a sudden it's a problem? What Presti did is let it be known that he has a plan and if you're not willing to go along with the plan then he'll find someone else who can. They don't owe Harden anything nor does Harden owe them anything. They are the ones who had faith in him and drafted him and developed him. He did his part in believing in their system and doing the work. Presti didn't make this offer take it or leave it as his first offer so it shouldn't have been any sort of surprise. Is he better than KD or Westbrook? Most people would say no. As any NBA fan knows, a teams fate/success can change rapidly with a freak injury or a number of other circumstances. Presti didn't want to commit to a max deal w/Harden and possibly compromise the team's future. You can't have everything all the time and you have to maintain some flexibility long term. This is the reality of the NBA now. Harden is $80 million richer. No need to go home and pray about that.

In business dealings, even after all terms are worked out, it is not unusual for a day or several days to pass before one party makes its final decision to the final offer. From working in business, I can honestly tell you I have never seen a "one hour window" because not only is that pushy, it's bad form and goes against good-faith negotiations. It would be considered absolutely unprofessional and unbecoming where I work.
New World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
Chicago and NY? Really? It's funny that you mention those teams since Harden has teammates who were considered part of those teams cores just last year.

NY has never been cheap. Part of the Lin decision had to do with him going behind Dolan's back. Plus the sample size on Lin was too small to make a decision like that. It's not like he had a stat book like Harden's. Chicago is cheap, but I don't really think Asik was considered a part of their core. I am pretty sure they would have matched Harden though.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
Exposed for what? It's a negotiation. Presti is exposed for being a shrewd businessman. What's wrong with that? Why is it that when players want to play hardball it's no big deal but when GMs do al of a sudden it's a problem?

Not sure what world you live in, but GMs rarely get anywhere near the blame that players do.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: