Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #76
Droid101
NBA All-star
 
Droid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 9,066
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Link a study.
Well, here's one refuting the claim that marijuana affects the brain negatively:

Quote:
However, according to Morgan and Zimmer, in order to achieve these damaging results, doses of up to 200 times the psychoactive dose in humans would have to be given. Even studies in which subjects were given 100 times the human dose failed to cause any structural impairment of the brain. Additionally, in a more recent study of rhesus monkeys by Slikker et. al (1992), in which the monkeys were exposed to the equivalent of 4-5 joints per day through face-mask inhalation for an entire year, seven months later there was no observed change in hippocampal structure, cell size, cell number, or synaptic configuration. As a result of these studies, Morgan and Zimmer concluded that the claim that marijuana causes physiological damage to brain cells is incorrect.
http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.ed...juanaBrain.htm

And here's one about alcohol:

Quote:
Not so much. Even in alcoholics, alcohol use doesn't actually result in the death of brain cells. It can, however, damage the ends of neurons, which are called dendrites. This results in problems conveying messages between the neurons. The cell itself isn't damaged, but the way that it communicates with others is altered. According to researchers such as Roberta J. Pentney, professor of anatomy and cell biology at the University at Buffalo, this damage is mostly reversible.
Alcoholics can develop a neurological disorder called Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, which can result in a loss of neurons in some parts of the brain. This syndrome also causes memory problems, confusion, paralysis of the eyes, lack of muscle coordination and amnesia. It can lead to death. However, the disorder isn't caused by the alcohol itself. It's the result of a deficiency of thiamine, an essential B vitamin. Not only are severe alcoholics often malnourished, extreme alcohol consumption can interfere with the body's absorption of thiamine.
So while alcohol doesn't actually kill brain cells, it can still damage your brain if you drink in mass quantities.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma...ain-myths9.htm

Neither one technically "kills brain cells" but alcohol has many more negative health impacts than marijuana.
Droid101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #77
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused
 
ItsMillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: INDY
Posts: 936
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Neither one technically "kills brain cells" but alcohol has many more negative health impacts than marijuana.

If anyone in this thread doesn't believe this statement, your opinion is invalid and you shouldn't be speaking about a subject you have no knowledge on. Thanks.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #78
Hazard
makhnovshchina
 
Hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philthadelphia
Posts: 2,407
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Recreational use is good, the biggest battle IMO is to decriminalize it across the country for medicinal use, cause it really does benefit people and can be used as a pain killer. In the 30's pain killers contained cannabinoids, then that smear campaign happened where that douche was losing money cause everyone and their mothers was using hemp to make paper, which was cheaper and more efficient. The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence was written on paper made out of hemp ffs. People really need to get educated about this, cause it truly is nonsense the way such a beneficial plant is being regulated as if it was a hard drug.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #79
Droid101
NBA All-star
 
Droid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 9,066
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Recreational use is good, the biggest battle IMO is to decriminalize it across the country for medicinal use, cause it really does benefit people and can be used as a pain killer. In the 30's pain killers contained cannabinoids, then that smear campaign happened where that douche was losing money cause everyone and their mothers was using hemp to make paper, which was cheaper and more efficient. The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence was written on paper made out of hemp ffs. People really need to get educated about this, cause it truly is nonsense the way such a beneficial plant is being regulated as if it was a hard drug.
Now that the election is over, I hope Obama really tries to get it moved to Schedule II (or, ideally, remove it from Scheduling altogether). With no more elections to worry about, I think he might just do it.
Droid101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #80
Hazard
makhnovshchina
 
Hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philthadelphia
Posts: 2,407
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Now that the election is over, I hope Obama really tries to get it moved to Schedule II (or, ideally, remove it from Scheduling altogether). With no more elections to worry about, I think he might just do it.
Yeah, its kind of shitty how all the good drugs are Schedule I. There was a study which determined that LSD can be used to treat PTSD, why that info is being kept under wraps I will never understand. Maybe cause it opens your mind to the bullshit, who knows.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #81
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,840
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Pretty sure Obama said he is not for legalizing marijuana but I suppose it doesn't matter because his opinion is not end all be all although it's close.

With that being said, if weed every becomes legal across the nation, the next drug that will be legal is cocaine.

I'm excited.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #82
Hazard
makhnovshchina
 
Hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philthadelphia
Posts: 2,407
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
Pretty sure Obama said he is not for legalizing marijuana but I suppose it doesn't matter because his opinion is not end all be all although it's close.

With that being said, if weed every becomes legal across the nation, the next drug that will be legal is cocaine.

I'm excited.
Obama did say that will not legalize marijuana but Obama also said that he will legalize marijuana.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #83
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,840
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Obama did say that will not legalize marijuana but Obama also said that he will legalize marijuana.
He said it last time in 2008 that he would legalize it but over the course of his run he has changed his mind to not legalize it.

I doubt he did it to get votes either because if he did want to get votes, he would say to legalize it and Gary Johnson would have been completely irrelevant. Only reason why Johnson got any traction what so ever was because of his pro-marijuana view even though he barely got 1%.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #84
guy
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,855
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
Pretty sure Obama said he is not for legalizing marijuana but I suppose it doesn't matter because his opinion is not end all be all although it's close.

With that being said, if weed every becomes legal across the nation, the next drug that will be legal is cocaine.

I'm excited.

Umm why exactly? Cocaine is a pretty giant step after weed and alcohol.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #85
Droid101
NBA All-star
 
Droid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 9,066
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
He said it last time in 2008 that he would legalize it but over the course of his run he has changed his mind to not legalize it.

I doubt he did it to get votes either because if he did want to get votes, he would say to legalize it and Gary Johnson would have been completely irrelevant. Only reason why Johnson got any traction what so ever was because of his pro-marijuana view even though he barely got 1%.
I don't know, the attack ads would have been easy if Obama was pro-marijuana during the election.

"OBAMA wants your KIDS HIGH ON DRUGS. Is this the America you want?!"

I think he turns toward the right side now.
Droid101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #86
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,840
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Umm why exactly? Cocaine is a pretty giant step after weed and alcohol.
At one point, there was an attempt to legalize coke because coke was viewed similar to pot. With pot legalized completely, another drug will be attempted to legalize.

As the saying goes, when one door closes, another one opens.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #87
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,840
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
I don't know, the attack ads would have been easy if Obama was pro-marijuana during the election.

"OBAMA wants your KIDS HIGH ON DRUGS. Is this the America you want?!"

I think he turns toward the right side now.
Uh, yeah, keep telling yourself that.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #88
bmulls
Great college starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,679
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

I don't know where you potheads get the idea that Obama is pro marijuana. His administration raided twice as many dispensaries in 4 years as Bush did in 8.

Rolling Stone did an article on Obama being the worst president for marijuana here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...n-pot-20120216

NORML also did one.

"Bu bu bu but Obama is so cool!!! And liking pot is cool!!! He MUST be in favor of legalization!!!"

bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #89
AK47DR91
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Umm why exactly? Cocaine is a pretty giant step after weed and alcohol.
Under the classification of controlled drugs, marijuana is actually listed higher for abuse than cocaine.

The two posters who were talking about Schedule I and II might know more about it than me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #90
MavsSuperFan
College superstar
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,310
Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Whether pot is harmful or not, is irrelevant to me. Smoking is harmful, alcohol is harmful, fatty foods are harmful, sweet foods and drinks are harmful, etc. These are all legal.

Personal choice is important here. I don't want uncle sam telling me what I can and cannot consume. I don't personally smoke pot, but as long as you don't operate heavy machinery when intoxicated, I don't see how someone smoking pot negatively affects me.

As a general rule if something makes someone happy and doesnt hurt others, I think it should be legal.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy