Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
avonbarksdale
meat mountain

avonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputation
Default Re: VC wants to retire as a Raptor

no **** him
avonbarksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
avonbarksdale
meat mountain

avonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputationavonbarksdale has a very bad reputation

he left dont come back
avonbarksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #33
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
which move was more douchebaggish? VC or LBJ for leaving their teams?

LeBron quit on a team that peaked, VC quit on a team that was trying to rebuild. IMO, as the face of the franchise if things turn sour you have to accept that people will blame you. I'm not saying its right, but it will happen let's be real. Vince wasn't ready to handle that. LeBron made a brave move if you ask me, to leave an already contending (at best though) team to join a "superteam."

Main difference I guess was their play on the court. Vince openly did things like claiming he wouldn't dunk anymore, or joke around in blow outs and pass up open shots/being passive on defence. That to me is unforgivable and is way worse.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

As a Nets fan and Vince being my all time favorite player, I would obviously want him to retire his jersey for us but he did so much for Toronto (put them on the map, lead them to their first playoffs game, etc). It would be a nice finishing touch on his career if he ended up playing his final year in Toronto with the fans forgiving him.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
Main difference I guess was their play on the court. Vince openly did things like claiming he wouldn't dunk anymore, or joke around in blow outs and pass up open shots/being passive on defence. That to me is unforgivable and is way worse.
Not to excuse Vince Carter of other things he may have done wrong, but his quote about not dunking any more was a joke. He was dunking before he made that comment and he was dunking right after it as well.

Further, again, not excuse him, but if every player who was ever caught smiling during a blow out or being passive on defense was permanently disowned by their franchise, I'd say approximately 84% of the league would be in trouble. It's clear Carter wanted out of a terrible franchise situation (entire coaching staff and GM axed, rebuilding with no hurry to win, drafting Rafael Araujo) but I still believe such a request is forgivable.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Not to excuse Vince Carter of other things he may have done wrong, but his quote about not dunking any more was a joke. He was dunking before he made that comment and he was dunking right after it as well.

Further, again, not excuse him, but if every player who was ever caught smiling during a blow out or being passive on defense was permanently disowned by their franchise, I'd say approximately 84% of the league would be in trouble. It's clear Carter wanted out of a terrible franchise situation (entire coaching staff and GM axed, rebuilding with no hurry to win, drafting Rafael Araujo) but I still believe such a request is forgivable.
THIS IS SO TRUE. I swear Vince is the only player to ever get called out on that. I always see other players smile and joke with the other team after a loss.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
TheFan
High School Varsity 6th Man

TheFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
He didn't say "I want to retire a Raptor" ... that would show desire.

He said he'd be open to it, aka he wouldn't mind but wouldn't stress about it.

Big difference. Misleading thread title.

yeah, he gave the political correct response... what was he supposed to say? "No effin way, i would rather drop soap around a gang of sexually repressed grizzlies with herpes than playing with these guys... NO ****ING WAY!!!"

He must protect his image.
TheFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #38
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Raptors shouldn't put his jersey on the rafter, I mean for what? He didn't even won a conference finals with that team. Granted is was because the americans don't wanna play in Canada but still. He was a great player there but he didn't do anything that deserved for his jersey to be put in the rafters. Heck if they do they should put Yao's jersey in Houston then.

Then again the Heat has MJ's jersey retired for some reason...
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #39
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
The Raptors shouldn't put his jersey on the rafter, I mean for what? He didn't even won a conference finals with that team. Granted is was because the americans don't wanna play in Canada but still. He was a great player there but he didn't do anything that deserved for his jersey to be put in the rafters. Heck if they do they should put Yao's jersey in Houston then.

Then again the Heat has MJ's jersey retired for some reason...
I think retiring jerseys is a little bit of a different business than say, entering the Hall of Fame. Sometimes having a jersey retired is about skills in combination with what a player meant for a given city. There have been many jerseys retired throughout the league for players who have not won championships or conference finals.

In Vince's case, I feel the only reason not to put his jersey in the rafters would be the bitter departure in '04. Otherwise, he was a spectacular player during his time in Toronto, led them to levels of success they hadn't seen in their young history up to that point, and as many others have said it, he put Toronto on the NBA map. He directly and indirectly did a lot for the city and franchise during his time there and it's unfortunate it had to end as it did.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #40
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sam Mitchell on 590 today said that VC came to him the day before the TO trade and told him privately he wanted to stick it out in Toronto and didn't want to be traded. Mitchell told Babcock, who didn't care, and traded him for a bag of half-inflated basketballs.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Sam Mitchell on 590 today said that VC came to him the day before the TO trade and told him privately he wanted to stick it out in Toronto and didn't want to be traded. Mitchell told Babcock, who didn't care, and traded him for a bag of half-inflated basketballs.
Quite interesting. A post from raptorsrepublic:

Quote:
So the saga continues ^ mannn Tim & Sid are pulling some remarkable quotes out of VC and Sam Mitchell about what ACTUALLY went down the year VC got traded. According to Mitchell, Rob Babcock traded VC even though there was room for reconciliation. Carter went as far as telling Mitchell, "I want to stay here, I see what you're building, and I like it." THE DAY BEFORE HE WAS TRADED!!! Mitchell says "I told Rob Babcok, but he said he had a deal on the table... (in retrospect) I should have went straight to Larry Tanenbaum and I should have implored Vince to speak with Larry Tanenbaum as well..."

Unbelieveable.

Mitchell: "I just think what happened with Vince, like a lot of guys, his feelings got hurt... and I think at the end of the day, if we could have got in a room, and apologies would have been extended to Vince, I think all of this, we could have got past."

Are you FREAKING kidding me ROB friggen Babcock! How is story just being told NOW?!!!!

Unreal...

Mitchell (on what would have happened if he wasn't traded): "Think about this... with Chris Bosh turning into what he turned into, Vince Carter still at the top of his game, we add another piece or two, we could have still been playing. Think about how good we would have been, we would have had one of the best power forwards, one of the best 2-guards, so we would have had two legit-superstars on our team. We may not have won a championship, but we might, could have got to a Finals."

Wow. Man, every Raptors fan should listen to this interview. Such crazy mismanagement by Rob Babcock. Even if Vince had half a foot out the door, something could have been done to fix things if it was handled right. Mitchell definitely believes that.
http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...as-dealt)-quot
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: