Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #16
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: WORLD WAR Z trailer (Z is for Zombie).... The apocalypse has begun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
future disney star wars films will have zombie jedis.
so Ford, Hammil, and Fisher have been confirmed?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
so Ford, Hammil, and Fisher have been confirmed?
yep. no makeup required is the director's bonus. they might even throw in ford's wife too. she's been zombified for years.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

been psyched for this movie for awhile hated that it got delayed till next summer. but wtf fast zombies? looks like they made if left for dead. And to the poster who said tue battle of yonkers, it indeed does look like that. oh well ill keep my hopes up and will probably watch
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #19
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I hope they adopt this title, Dooms should get on that.

WORLD WAR Z (Z is for Zombie)

That would be a good movie title.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

First, Brad Pitt is married to Sarah Linden from The Killing, which is cool.

Since the day I heard Brad Pitt bought the rights to the book, I was extremely interested to see how they'd translate the book to film. In large part because I wanted to know who in fact Pitt would play. No way he was getting backing to buy the rights without being connected as an on screen character to sell the movie. But there's really no recurring character in the book, other than the "intereviewer who's writing this compendium", and frankly he's not a character because he's just a maguffin to dig into these wildly different, sprawling, varrying flashbacks of seperate experiences that happened during this rising.

I felt to do it right, the cost would be astronomical. You'd need legit sets in a very cold setting, in a swamp setting, in an urban area to replicate Yonkers, on a mountainside appearing to be in India, in the desert for the open field sniper chapter, in a nuclear submarine, and on a chain of small islands, and that's just to hit all of the chapters I'd call my favorites based on my memory of a book I read probably 3-4 years ago. A huge part of the charm of the book is that there is no straight narrative from A to B to C. You get all these anecdotes that sort of lets this bigger story of how the rising happened sort of wash over you like a fog. Part of the gimmick is that the author is writing from the "interviewer" perspective, where he's assuming you already know the basics of what happened, and he's creating this anectdotal oral history, but in reallity you as the reader don't actually know what happened, and there's this tricky way you pick up those basics of the narrative from these anecdotes that isn't just spelled out for you. Frankly it'd make for a much better episodic TV series, although they probably couldn't budget the bigger more definining chapters like India or Yonkers.

From the trailer this movie looks almost completely unrelated to the book. I'll probably still see it. But as far as my question about how they'd do it, I guess the answer is that they won't.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

i have read the zombie survival book by the same author, haven't read world war z though. is it a good read?
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
i have read the zombie survival book by the same author, haven't read world war z though. is it a good read?

Yeah. Much, much better than the survival guide.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik

I did them backwards, I read WWZ first, and liked it so much that I went backwards and read both survival guides.

It is a great read, and I'd say much much better than the survival guides, which were amusing in a weird sort of way, but not a lot more than that.

The author, Max Brooks, is the son of comedy legend Mel Brooks, and Mrs. Robinson Ann Bancroft.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So's this going to wind up being a franchise, assuming it grosses well enough? I haven't read the book but I'm familiar with the format. It's sort of a zombiefied version of Zinn's People's History of the US right? Jumps all around chapter to chapter with no real protagonist just telling individual stories from Location X?

It honestly looks like crap, but it's got Pitt starring obviously and financing. Marc Foster's "directing" (I don't think he's doing much of that on this movie). It's a zombie flick so obviously it'll be CGI intensive, but the CGI just looks pretty damn terrible.

What's the depth of the source like? How pulpy is it? We talking dumbass source material like Walking Dead or something with some depth that at least passingly explores the human condition of having to destroy every last semblance of your former humanity? Zombies have been done to death, but there's plenty of obvious parallels you could explore with it.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Yeah, the subtitle of the book is "An Oral History", so it's obviously a parody of People's History.

It's tone is really all over the place, depending on the chapter. The major set pieces that I can recall off the top of my head being a large trap set up in Yonkers, a blow the bridge sort of bait into a trap kind of thing in India, and the American Southwest Desert set up for a wall of snipers nests.

Outside of those, it's a lot of smaller personalized stories. One's I particularly recall were the one in Canada, where the Zombies would sort of feeze by shuffling into deep snow, where they could literally be walked up to and spiked. So a group continues to head north for it's safety, but find themselves running low on supplies as well. Rough living for Zombies is also probably no beach for the living either. And there is some turning on ourselves.
One with a crashed female military pilot in the American swamplands that yields a break in sanity.
And a rogue group of Chinese military stationed in a Nuclear sub who abondon their country and species to safely survive below sea with electricity and everything. Dealing with their moral and nationalist issues of desertion. And eventually surfacing and using their power plant to run a handfull of small Pacific Islands.
There's also some nice early chapters touching on the initial onset of the outbreak, dealing with the medical profession. People dieing in surgery. The spread from black market organ transplant materials in south america.

I'm going back a ways to remember this, so that might not be 100% accurate. And I'm sure there's a lot more I'm forgetting. It's one of the rare things I'd like to read again. I generally don't read things twice, same as I don't play video games twice, except to pick up some trophy's. I don't play online, I play to experience the story, once I feel I've digested all the story I can, I'm pretty much done. I may kill all the pigeons in GTA just to see what happens, but I won't put it back in just to drive over civilians for an afternoon.

This movie should feel more like Steven Soderbergh's Contagion, with that scope, but with Zombies.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #26
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

heard the movie is nothing like the book. will wait for reviews.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #27
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

what I liked also about the book is how people reacted to all of it, like people becoming zombie like and actually thought they were zombies, to the wildlings or kids who grew up without parents, so they grew up feral and in packs, then there were the cannibals, Loved the way they kinda explained how a modern military lost against a slow moving melee type of enemy in the battle of yonkers, and how that loss eventually led to new types of training and how we eventually won back humanity. Ive actually begun reading it again as its a easy book to pick up.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

damn, all the comments above make me want to read the book NOW. But I got too much work going on at the moment..

I saw just the trailer..
Looks pretty... meh..
I love zombie movies and this one just doesn't stand out.. I usually have high expectations for Brad Pitt's films too.. wonder why he's doing this
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
First, Brad Pitt is married to Sarah Linden from The Killing, which is cool.

Since the day I heard Brad Pitt bought the rights to the book, I was extremely interested to see how they'd translate the book to film. In large part because I wanted to know who in fact Pitt would play. No way he was getting backing to buy the rights without being connected as an on screen character to sell the movie. But there's really no recurring character in the book, other than the "intereviewer who's writing this compendium", and frankly he's not a character because he's just a maguffin to dig into these wildly different, sprawling, varrying flashbacks of seperate experiences that happened during this rising.

I felt to do it right, the cost would be astronomical. You'd need legit sets in a very cold setting, in a swamp setting, in an urban area to replicate Yonkers, on a mountainside appearing to be in India, in the desert for the open field sniper chapter, in a nuclear submarine, and on a chain of small islands, and that's just to hit all of the chapters I'd call my favorites based on my memory of a book I read probably 3-4 years ago. A huge part of the charm of the book is that there is no straight narrative from A to B to C. You get all these anecdotes that sort of lets this bigger story of how the rising happened sort of wash over you like a fog. Part of the gimmick is that the author is writing from the "interviewer" perspective, where he's assuming you already know the basics of what happened, and he's creating this anectdotal oral history, but in reallity you as the reader don't actually know what happened, and there's this tricky way you pick up those basics of the narrative from these anecdotes that isn't just spelled out for you. Frankly it'd make for a much better episodic TV series, although they probably couldn't budget the bigger more definining chapters like India or Yonkers.

From the trailer this movie looks almost completely unrelated to the book. I'll probably still see it. But as far as my question about how they'd do it, I guess the answer is that they won't.

They should have done it in a bunch of short films, that happen when the interviews start, thats how I always pictured the film. fans wouldn't need them to be connected anymore than that. Cloud atlas has a bunch of different sets, proving nothing is impossible with enough money.

I believe the film will focus on and expand what happened in America only, will watch just to see the battle of Yonkers.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
They should have done it in a bunch of short films, that happen when the interviews start, thats how I always pictured the film. fans wouldn't need them to be connected anymore than that. Cloud atlas has a bunch of different sets, proving nothing is impossible with enough money.

I believe the film will focus on and expand what happened in America only, will watch just to see the battle of Yonkers.
I dont think so from the trailer it seems they included the middle east part where Israel became the last stand area there. I agree with Mavs superfan this should have been done in short films, I was reading that they made the zombies faster because they wanted a more animalistic approach to them like they react in a predatory type of way like a school of fish or something like that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: