Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #61
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho
 
Take Your Lumps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,600
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler



That's probably what Jesus looked like.

Looks like the same old euro Jesus with a deep tan and a duck face. Long flowing hair and hazel eyes?
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #62
Rojogaqu11
Great young streetballer
 
Rojogaqu11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 552
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Disclaimer: Long post incoming. :s (sorry, I tried to be concise)

To whoever asked the issue of slavery, I'd like to make a few points if I may:
  • It's understandable how the term "Black Christian" might seem contradictory when we place so much emphasis on the American history of slavery, but we have to examine the context of those days to come to a better conclusion.
    When we talk about history, we have to understand that people change their values and beliefs depending on the degree of their understanding about them. We can now understand many more things about the world than previous generations, and knowing that previous generations had less knowledge about racial differences, then we can understand how it could have been an even more striking point of conflict.
    They may have had an "excuse" to act the way they did. They really did not, but they made conclusions from limited knowledge. This is the same error that is done by someone who attacks the reality of multiracial Christianity, because what we now understand about skin pigmentation, dna, and the human species, leaves us without excuse when we try to make race an issue. We know that humanity is a species with a great range of phenotypes, but in essence we are all one and the same.
    Those who used the bible to validate slavery(like the op said) acted out on their own evil intentions. Also on ignorance and fear.
    We can contrast that generation to ours and we can see that not much has changed even with more knowledge. This is because the natural inclination of humans to do evil does not change.
    So the point I make with this is that the issue of race should be an archaic notion that doesn't have a place when talking about the message of the bible, specially when the message of the Gospel is the defining truth through which all other truths of the bible are understood. This brings me to the other point.
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ in the New Testament completes and brings new understanding to the laws, messages, and events in the Old Testament.
    To put it crudely, the Israelites were a people commanded by God to be "racist". This was to keep them as a holy nation, separated from the rest of the nations as a sign of the pact of election that God out of his own will began to work through Abraham and his descendants. God forgave their disobedience many times but Israel kept on falling to sin. They had strict laws and rites of sacrifice of animals in order to atone for their sins and to remain holy and clean as a people in the presence of the holy God. But the Israelites continuously betrayed the covenant with God and disobeyed his commandments.
    If Israel even with the commandments and God's protection and providence kept on disobeying, then how much more would humanity as a whole sin against God.
    The point of all this is to show that:
    -Israel as a race couldn't obey God.
    -Even less would the other nations do what is good if God didn't reveal his will to them.
    The story is more detailed than this but the point brings us to the Gospel and the final sacrifice of Jesus to atone for the sins of not only the Israelites, but of all other nations.

    This can be understood in this passage of the book of Galatians Chapter 3 in the New Testament.

    23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

    26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.


    I invite you to read the whole chapter or the whole letter to Galatians, because it really shows the distinction between what was old and what is new in Christ.
    So in summary, the Gospel brings a new understanding to not only the old conflicts of race ("neither Jew nor Gentile") but also to the issues of slavery ("neither slave nor free") and the conflicts of gender ("nor there is male or female") because through the faith in Christ "are all one" and "all children of God".

    The bible makes a clear statement about the nature of all those who believe in the Gospel, but it doesn't just stop there because it also speaks about the new character the believers should possess, which is the next point.

  • If America had been completely founded on biblical principles, slavery wouldn't have occurred as it did.
    We talked about the racial conflicts and the issues of Old Testament law, so let's talk about what the bible says directly about slavery in the New Testament.
    Look at what Ephesians 6 says:
    Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”[a]

    4 Fathers,[b] do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

    5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

    9 And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.


    I included the directions to fathers and to children so that we can see them in comparison to the directions towards slaves and masters.
    We can see that children are called to obey their parents as slaves are called to obey their master, but at the same time parents are warned against irritating or aggravating their children as masters are warned against basically the same attitude.

    This shows that, at least in this context, slavery was something different from what we may understand as slavery in the history of many nations like the United States. I can't go into more detail because this is already a way longer response I had in mind, but if we examine history we will understand that slavery happened all around the world and it continues to happen in spite of the beliefs of each place.
    People throughout the world are using other people as objects for their own greed and vanity. We can try to blame a specific religion or philosophical idea for the evils of such slavery, but we first have to understand that mankind will distort and misuse anything it can to attain power.
    Maybe there are religions and other beliefs that promote cruelty towards others, but as evidenced by the scripture, true Christians or any institutions or states that so-call themselves followers of Jesus would never remain in that error for such a long time.

    So I can conclude that any slave masters that in the past or present used scripture to devalue or to inflict suffering unto a fellow human being misinterpreted the words of scripture, and that slavery as a practice founded on racial prejudices is a heresy and a sin.

    If there are so many Christian brothers and sisters of darker skin is because they have looked beyond race and left the common definition of it in the past, and because they understood and accepted God's offer of salvation to anyone who believes in Jesus and his message.
Rojogaqu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #63
stallionaire
#ItsFeedingTime
 
stallionaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 3,209
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Fellow black guy here.

Black christians make me cringe. Wake up brother. Quit with the white devil's religion.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #64
BuGzBuNNy
...
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,141
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

The church I claim, this is my pastor:

Here's the mayor of town (He's apart of the church, sits in the congregation, his wife and kids):

Taking a stab in the dark I'd say it's around 45% blacks, 35% whites, 15% hispanic, 5% other. I think the mean age of the church is in the 20s or low 30s..okay just checked, 34. Its humbling. We're so beyond this issue of race and the last paragraph from Rojogaqu11('s) post is what makes it work. I've never been more content with myself than the way I'd feel on Sunday mornings watching lives change before my eyes. You get this feeling over your body that even the hardest thug out there would tear up Its not fake, i'm not, and I refuse to sit in a church that is. I'll get up and walk out. God has been made so obvious to me that I'd be an idiot to deny, and if he hasn't for you I truly hope someday he does and that you let him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallionaire
Fellow black guy here.

Black christians make me cringe. Wake up brother. Quit with the white devil's religion.

You say this as if you thought I didn't enjoy my life more than anyone on earth. Here I am in the best country there is with the freedom to do really anything I want. I have two tickets to a Mavs game next week that I'll be taking the girl of my dreams to. Hell, I might just take a trip to Austin tomorrow just to get away, but I'm not sure if I want to.

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 11-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #65
CelticBaller
lite kobe
 
CelticBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: minus the raping and chucking
Posts: 15,823
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallionaire
Fellow black guy here.

Black christians make me cringe. Wake up brother. Quit with the white devil's religion.

Jesus was black btw
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #66
DCL
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,340
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

if the story of jesus said he was black, there would had never been a christianity movement in the first place. europeans from the medeval era or whatever would not had pushed on with the crusades to force people to worship a dude from africa. no missionaries. no nothing. jesus was popular in europe because he was white power, mothafugga. the roman church weren't gonna support a black man in that time. sh!t, even today, they're still afraid to ever entertain the idea of promoting a black pope.

this post is all politcally incorrect and sh!t, but just saying.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #67
BuGzBuNNy
...
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,141
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
if the story of jesus said he was black, there would had never been a christianity movement in the first place. europeans from the medeval era or whatever would not had pushed on with the crusades to force people to worship a dude from africa. no missionaries. no nothing. jesus was popular in europe because he was white power, mothafugga. the roman church weren't gonna support a black man in that time. sh!t, even today, they're still afraid to ever entertain the idea of promoting a black pope.

this post is all politcally incorrect and sh!t, but just saying.
please quote CelticBaller
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #68
CelticBaller
lite kobe
 
CelticBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: minus the raping and chucking
Posts: 15,823
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
if the story of jesus said he was black, there would had never been a christianity movement in the first place. europeans from the medeval era or whatever would not had pushed on with the crusades to force people to worship a dude from africa. no missionaries. no nothing. jesus was popular in europe because he was white power, mothafugga. the roman church weren't gonna support a black man in that time. sh!t, even today, they're still afraid to ever entertain the idea of promoting a black pope.

this post is all politcally incorrect and sh!t, but just saying.
Jesus was popular in europe because of the romans
Though Leonardo Da Vinci did help change Jesus skin color
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #69
DCL
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,340
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

jesus was larry bird times a billion.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #70
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia ©
 
Dictator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
I know they referenced the book to justify slavery but tell me exactly what they saw in the book that they thought justified it. If you will..I'm uncertain.

In other words, what does the bible say that made them think slavery was okay?

The bible says you must obey and respect your master aka massa when in bondage.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #71
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia ©
 
Dictator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
I believe everything that was written in the bible was written because God wanted it to be. I'm not sure what you mean by "what do you base that on exactly?"

The bible has changed and tampered with a lot. Everything was not written because of God.

Also Jesus is a guy named Caesar borgias.

Last edited by Dictator : 11-10-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #72
CelticBaller
lite kobe
 
CelticBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: minus the raping and chucking
Posts: 15,823
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
The bible has changed and tampered with a lot. Everything was not written because of God.

Also Jesus is a guy named Caesar borgias.
Yeah, because there weren't paintings of Jesus before the renaissance
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #73
The Macho Man
Randy Savage
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Head Game Al Snow
Posts: 31,130
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #74
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,218
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler



That's probably what Jesus looked like.


Jesus probably looked like an arab.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #75
Balla_Status
______________________
 
Balla_Status's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,911
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

You're black and grew up in Midland...please show all the Texas haters that Texas isn't as racist as people say.

Are you Smash Williams?

CLEAR EYES. FULL HEARTS. CAN'T LOSE.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 11-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy