Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ot: small town to ban the n-word

Small Town Considers Banning N Word

POSTED: 4:29 pm CST January 23, 2007
UPDATED: 4:44 pm CST January 23, 2007
E-mail this story | Print this story
BRAZORIA, Texas -- The mayor of Brazoria is considering banning a racial slur, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Even though the mayor's proposed city ordinance is still in the exploratory phase, the issue has received a lot of attention.

Mayor Ken Corley wants to ban the "n" word from the small community. He said it is a quality of life issue.

"This is a melting pot -- this country is, OK? There is no room for any racial slurs, whatever," Corley said. "When you're in town and you're riding around and somebody pulls up next to you and they have their radio on and they have some gangsta rap, I don't want my children or my grandchildren -- I don't want anybody in this town -- to be subject to that language."

The idea is receiving mixed reviews from Corley's constituents.

"I think it's a pretty good idea, you know. I don't hear it that much," a resident said.

"How can they enforce it? I don't see why a law like this would be necessary," another resident said.

Bishop Ricky Jones, of Brazoria's Living Word Fellowship and Christian Center, said the word carries a history of bigotry and hate, even when used within the black community.

"I applaud him for what he's doing," Jones said. "It's time for we, as African-Americans, to go to the next level and demonstrate that we do have self respect for ourselves. And, I think if we show self-respect for ourselves, the rest of the world is going to do the same."

A public hearing will be held Thursday at the town's civic center. City leaders will then decide if a third hearing is necessary or if it should be sent to city council for a vote.

If passed, the mayor said offenders would receive a citation for a misdemeanor punishable by up to $500.

is this really a good idea? tramps all over free speech, and how will they enforce it? the mayor's heart is in the right place, but this won't ever work imo. besides, i bet ya more black people use the word then white people. p.s. the mayor is white.
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
johndough
Great young streetballer

johndough has decent reputation

I'm black.My family is originally from a small town in Nc...if my grandfather ever heard me or my brothers use the 'N word'...even referring to our friends...hell, we better be prepared to put our hands up.
johndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Good cause, but again, you cant legislate morality.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

who's to say what's moral or not?

the word itself is not evil.

people who use the word are not bad people

people who are bad usually use the word.

failure of causation by this mayor.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndough
I'm black.My family is originally from a small town in Nc...if my grandfather ever heard me or my brothers use the 'N word'...even referring to our friends...hell, we better be prepared to put our hands up.

do you ever use it though? away from your parents and grandparents?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
johndough
Great young streetballer

When I was younger occasionally... to fit in or was street struck... I dunno.Now, I don't...ever.My friends make a concious effort not to as well.I was sat down,and like I said, taught the negative connotations behind it....context didnt matter.That, and I saw my grandfather light my younger brother up for saying that s@#t... lol
Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

This is dumb.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
IamtheWalrus
Banned

IamtheWalrus has no real reputation yet.

there will be a constitutioanl problem here.

the statute is overbroad, its not a fighting word, and it doesn't make the average person provoked....

it is in violation of freedom of expression...

people are idiots...they just wanna have a case in the supreme court.
IamtheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheWalrus
there will be a constitutioanl problem here.

the statute is overbroad, its not a fighting word, and it doesn't make the average person provoked....

it is in violation of freedom of expression...

people are idiots...they just wanna have a case in the supreme court.

i think the mayor is trying to tie the word to a "disturbing the peace" charge. its only a misdemeanor but your right, this statute will be shot down if ever challenged in court.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Right. I would love to see that go through. So you have to ban the music in peoples cars, clubs, and parties too. Hey how bout banning music videos cause you know some of the guys on there say the "n" word too. Please. This is a joke.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
johndough
Great young streetballer

How is it dumb?Rezznor said it best...won't work, but the Mayor's thinking is correct.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Droppin N-bombs is not cool and its not good no matter what perspective... I can't stand the word. But, you can't legislate it... you must teach people not to be so stupid.

The origin of that word is horrible, and all races should recognize its significance and not use it to be mean or to be "cool." Its NOT cool.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: ot: small town to ban the n-word

Mayor is backing off now, all the white people got pissed lol.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

this mayor just killed any chances of a rap star emerging from his little city.

SHAME
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong waySupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong way

the only thing i want to know is who that **** is that in rezznor's avatar??
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: