Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Default How crazy are people going to get for the retro Jordan's this Christmas?

Everyone remembers how crazy the crowd got lining up for these:

Well these are coming out just in time for this Christmas:

and those are probably more popular than the white ones.

I'm glad I'm done with this. Paying nearly $200 for shoes is crazy. I'm happy with a $50 pair of Nike or Skechers running shoes or a pair of $50 Nike basketball shoes.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
SourPatchKids
Banned

Default Re: How crazy are people going to get for the retro Jordan's this Christmas?

Haha I got friends saving up cash for what they call "Bred Money". I'm still waiting for JB to retro some 11 lows.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

Default Re: How crazy are people going to get for the retro Jordan's this Christmas?

People enjoy getting milked like cows.
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
People enjoy getting milked like cows.
PLEASE SDFU

anyways.

I hope I get a pair
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsfan1992
PLEASE SDFU

anyways.

I hope I get a pair
you enjoy that, don't you.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

And then people will sell them again for 4-5x the original price. I don't own many pairs (only things I have that hype beasts would "approve of" are a pair of Dee Brown Omni Lites and a pair of BC III's from the last retro), but I do consider myself a shoe head simply because I love me some good-lookin' shoes, but all the "hype" is simply unnecessary and maybe even harmful.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Yeah, I like shoes too. But I've realized I can find good looking shoes and not have to spend nearly $200. Most of the $50-$80 Nikes I've found are better looking than any of the recent Jordan's or LeBron's.

You also can't go wrong with a pair of converse all-stars and those are only about $40-$50.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

I have one pair of Jordan's that I use on daily basis but some of the Jordan fanboys really think they're so fly when they were their oversized Jordan's. No one gives a damn about what anyone's wearing..
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
DCL
NBA lottery pick

i perform the same on the court with my cheap sneakers.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
CelticBaller
Maimi Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
i perform the same on the court with my cheap sneakers.
But who wears jordans to play ball with?
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
hateraid
Is it in you?

I think this has been the 3rd Christmas release in the last 10 years for this colorway. Talk about milking the corperate cow. The XI ha gone from being the most iconic shoe to the biggest joke in the shoe game.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
But who wears jordans to play ball with?

Exactly, Jordans are cheap as shit and fall apart if you actually play in them.
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Exactly, Jordans are cheap as shit and fall apart if you actually play in them.

Not all Jordans are shit. I've had probably 6-7 different pairs of Jordans that I played hard in, and only 2 pairs wore out and fell apart prematurely. I wore the 11's in high school and they were, and still are, my favorite basketball shoe of all time. I also currently wear Jordans when I play, and they're holding up really well.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Not all Jordans are shit. I've had probably 6-7 different pairs of Jordans that I played hard in, and only 2 pairs wore out and fell apart prematurely. I wore the 11's in high school and they were, and still are, my favorite basketball shoe of all time. I also currently wear Jordans when I play, and they're holding up really well.
Yep, same here. This topic's come up a few times on this site over the years. Some folks seem absolutely convinced there's no way Jordans can be played in effectively (or without sacrificing ability or comfort). Others seem to believe they split in half. More still, upon hearing players insist they play well in Jordans, folks just assume the player in question doesn't really play hard enough to push basketball shoes to the edge.

In my case, we wore team Reebok Questions my sophomore year and I sprained my ankle in them. Due more to superstition than legitimate blame or protection, I swore off Reebok's and lows or mids for the highest kicks I could find for my junior year, and it ended up being a pair or Jordan retro V's. They worked wonderfully and lasted for years. I eventually bought the same pair on clearance a year later (while my first pair was still in use) just so I'd be able to re-up when my first pair eventually blew out.

Since then, I've almost exclusively worn Jordans on the court and they've worked out extremely well. I'm not plodding about, I'm still as fast as my body allows, I still dunk, I still do everything I can do in Hyperdunks. I've found the idea of Jordans not working for on-court wear to be a myth, by and large. And I understand people wanting to keep expensive shoes nice and clean but in my case, I feel wearing them for basketball allows me to get the most out of my money. I'm not sure I can afford to buy expensive shoes and not utilize them to the fullest. Plus, I'm not big on the casual Jordans with jeans bunched on top of them look. I respect it, but it doesn't look good on me.

Also, to meet you guys the other way too, when Starbury's were still being sold at Steve & Berry's, I went through a phase of buying a couple pairs of those every summer too, just as playground shoes. They worked very well too, but the rubber seemed to melt quicker than normal basketball shoes.

Edit: I forgot, there was one pair of Jordans I owned I actually couldn't play in: the I's. I bought them in '01 and wore them for one game. The soles felt like they were 1/8 inch thick and the in-soles shifted when I planted. Things did not work out at all and they've only been casual shoes ever since (I still own them, and they're still in good shape).

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: