Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #31
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,968
Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Lin is rebounding, play decent D, not turning the ball over, and shooting poorly.


He's not going to shoot this poorly all year. Remember how bad he was in the preseason? He'll be fine. His overall game is looking good.


Also, $8Million a year. To be an arguable top 15 PG in this league is very good and $8Million is a steal there.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
Micku
NBA lottery pick
 
Micku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,885
Micku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

From what I watched from Lin, he is a pretty solid passer. He hasn't been turning over the ball as much and his ball handling skills has improved. Still sometimes a bit awkward, and I haven't seen what happens if they put pressure on.

His scoring is a bit of a problem though. It seems like sometimes he'll try to get his and can not execute properly. His shooting percentage have been terrible this year so far.

He has quick hands and good at stealing the ball. Atm, he's top 5 in steals.

There are lots to improve though. He's okay. Average. Maybe a bit above average. His FG% is pretty bad though.
Micku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star
 
KungFuJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,614
KungFuJoe has not been impressing people
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

He's not taking it to the hole like he used to. The reason why his shooting percentage was so high during Linsanity was the ridiculous percentage he was shooting from around the paint and just outside. He was also going to the line 8-10 times a GAME, which is ridiculous for a PG. Now he's getting there like 3 or 4 times. I think his TOs are down due to him playing a bit more tentative. I hope he's just trying to figure out what works and isn't over thinking things because he is the kind of guy that thrives on the flow and feel of the game...it's when he starts questioning himself is when he starts to struggle.
KungFuJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #34
blood yes
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 550
blood yes posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryblood yes posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Lin is rebounding, play decent D, not turning the ball over, and shooting poorly.


He's not going to shoot this poorly all year. Remember how bad he was in the preseason? He'll be fine. His overall game is looking good.


Also, $8Million a year. To be an arguable top 15 PG in this league is very good and $8Million is a steal there.
You seem to actually understand that jeremy lin is a goodplayer, unlike ****** milwad
blood yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
Phantom_Blue
High school junior varsity star
 
Phantom_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 605
Phantom_Blue has decent reputation
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
He's not taking it to the hole like he used to. The reason why his shooting percentage was so high during Linsanity was the ridiculous percentage he was shooting from around the paint and just outside. He was also going to the line 8-10 times a GAME, which is ridiculous for a PG. Now he's getting there like 3 or 4 times. I think his TOs are down due to him playing a bit more tentative. I hope he's just trying to figure out what works and isn't over thinking things because he is the kind of guy that thrives on the flow and feel of the game...it's when he starts questioning himself is when he starts to struggle.

TBH, the people straight bashing him obviously didn't watch the game and are taking things out of context lol.

Somehow, Jermey playing "well" was translated to, "Jeremy is playing like an all-star, living up to his contract, way better than Felton, top 5 guard in the league" for these guys. Of course he's not any of those yet, no one said he was.

Anyway to your post, there are several things not working in his favor aside from the chemistry issues and him learning a new system:

-No athletic big to run pick & roll with

-The Rockets shooting a horrible 28% from 3's, while taking the most in the league, allowing the opp. D to sag into the paint preventing driving lanes(Detroit played some zone and really shut them down for awhile). This is why their D is so important, allowing them to get TO's and run.

-The offense was running through Harden in the 2 losses, with Lin basically bringing the ball up and spotting up, or trying to create something in the end. That started to change though in the Pistons game, we'll see if it lasts.

When the team chemistry and shooting improves, I suspect we'll start seeing steadier numbers from Lin. It will be interesting to see if they get an athletic big to run P&R with through a trade.
Phantom_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #36
Klazart
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Klazart has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

We all know Lin is a liability on defense. Just to provide some evidence to support that theory here are stats from Synergy for some Rockets' players this season.

Overall PPP(Point per possession allowed):

Lin: 0.59(ranked 15 in NBA for all positions so far)
Harden: 1.03(ranked 182)
Parsons: 0.77(ranked 69)
Patterson: 0.89(ranked 125)
Asik: 0.68(ranked 38)
Douglas: 0.97(ranked 155)

Last season.

Lin: 0.81(ranked 128)
Harden: 0.85(ranked 218)
Parsons:0.83(ranked 166)
Patterson: 0.89(ranked 302)
Asik:0.71(ranked 24)
Douglas: 0.87(ranked 257)

It's early in the season, so hopefully Lin can work hard and improve his defense.
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #37
millwad
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,726
millwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang
Yes you are. How can you prove the only reason he got his contract is because he's Asian?

You can't. There's no stats to pull up, there's no quotes, NOTHING.

That is entirely your speculation.

And if I say, the only reason Kwame Brown got his contract is because he's black, I'm racist right? Same principles goes for you.

And STFU stop acting like a Rockets fan, just because you put it on as your avatar, you're not. You're just using the opportunity to bash Lin, and using that rockets avatar as a shield. You're no rocket fan, get the f out of here.

It's obvious he got signed for marketing a la China, if Jeremy Lin was another black player he wouldn't have got the contract he got. Look at Sessions, he had a crazy Linsanity-like run in Milwuakee, he got 16 millions over 4 years for his amazing games.

And haha, you've been on this site for like 5 months.. I've been repping the Rockets since 2007 on this site.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #38
millwad
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,726
millwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazart
We all know Lin is a liability on defense. Just to provide some evidence to support that theory here are stats from Synergy for some Rockets' players this season.

Overall PPP(Point per possession allowed):

Lin: 0.59(ranked 15 in NBA for all positions so far)
Harden: 1.03(ranked 182)
Parsons: 0.77(ranked 69)
Patterson: 0.89(ranked 125)
Asik: 0.68(ranked 38)
Douglas: 0.97(ranked 155)

Last season.

Lin: 0.81(ranked 128)
Harden: 0.85(ranked 218)
Parsons:0.83(ranked 166)
Patterson: 0.89(ranked 302)
Asik:0.71(ranked 24)
Douglas: 0.87(ranked 257)

It's early in the season, so hopefully Lin can work hard and improve his defense.

That's a bogus stat, based on those numbers Lin is a better defender than Asik..

Then you need to realize that point guards are the one's who shoot with the lowest FG% a and Lin hasn't faced any great scoring point guards yet. Wait 'til he faces CP3, DWill, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Irving, Wall, Rondo, Rose etc..
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
millwad
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,726
millwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood yes
You seem to actually understand that jeremy lin is a goodplayer, unlike ****** milwad

You seem mad, LOF:er with no doubt..

LIN FAN ONLY!
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #40
Klazart
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Klazart has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
It's obvious he got signed for marketing a la China, if Jeremy Lin was another black player he wouldn't have got the contract he got. Look at Sessions, he had a crazy Linsanity-like run in Milwuakee, he got 16 millions over 4 years for his amazing games.

And haha, you've been on this site for like 5 months.. I've been repping the Rockets since 2007 on this site.

Lin is being paid $8 million/year. That salary is comparable to average PGs in the league.

I think if you compare his stats so far this season to other PGs who are being paid the same you will find that he is a bargain at this price.

This is despite the fact that the coaches have been restricting his touches and playing him as a 3 point spot up shooter (which he isn't) and asking him to camp in the corner while they get Harden to try and take on the PG duties, a strategy that if you are actually WATCHING the rockets play as completely backfired for all concerned and negatively impacted not just Lin's play but also Harden's and the team's offensive chemistry.
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #41
Klazart
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Klazart has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
That's a bogus stat, based on those numbers Lin is a better defender than Asik..

Then you need to realize that point guards are the one's who shoot with the lowest FG% a and Lin hasn't faced any great scoring point guards yet. Wait 'til he faces CP3, DWill, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Irving, Wall, Rondo, Rose etc..

Of course he isn't a better defender than Asik. But the stat is not bogus either.

The way I see it, defense is a team game. And I think it works both ways.

His team mates help D on the PnR are probably contributing to his numbers. For example with Asik's blocking and help D from the likes of Morris/Patterson.

On the other hand, when Lin get's picked and there is no help D and the opposing PG gets to the rim, his detractors want to put all the blame on him, when again, it's a team issue.

I think Lin is an above average defender and that is what this stat shows. He certainly is not a defensive liability as some would like to believe.

As for the opposition. Well I think he's faced some decent players, but not the best yet. Then again, Harden's numbers are worse and it's not like he's been facing Kobe or other offensive demons.

The only place Lin has really looked vulnerable on defense from watching the games is when he gambles on help D and leaves his man with a relatively uncontested 3. But this might very well be a coaching thing as McHale might prefer contesting in the paint and letting people who aren't known 3 point snipers jack up 3s. It's certainly the higher percentage play.

Last edited by Klazart : 11-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #42
millwad
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,726
millwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazart
Lin is being paid $8 million/year. That salary is comparable to average PGs in the league.

I think if you compare his stats so far this season to other PGs who are being paid the same you will find that he is a bargain at this price.


He's not a bargain at all;

Westbrook: 13.6 million
Parker: 12.5 million
Lowry: 5.7 million
Dragic: 7.5 million
Collison: 2.3 million
Mo Williams: 8.5 million
Nash: 8.7 million
George Hill: 8 million
John Wall: 5.9 million
Curry: 3.9 million
Felton: 3.4 million
Andre Miller: 5 million
Lawson: 10 million (real salary over 5 years)
Barea: 4.4 million
Teague: 2.4 million
Conley: 7.3 million
Chalmers: 4 million

How is Jeremy Lin a bargain...
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #43
millwad
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,726
millwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazart
Of course he isn't a better defender than Asik. But the stat is not bogus either.

The way I see it, defense is a team game. And I think it works both ways.

His team mates help D on the PnR are probably contributing to his numbers. For example with Asik's blocking and help D from the likes of Morris/Patterson.

On the other hand, when Lin get's picked and there is no help D and the opposing PG gets to the rim, his detractors want to put all the blame on him, when again, it's a team issue.

I think Lin is an above average defender and that is what this stat shows. He certainly is not a defensive liability as some would like to believe.

As for the opposition. Well I think he's faced some decent players, but not the best yet. Then again, Harden's numbers are worse and it's not like he's been facing Kobe or other offensive demons.

The only place Lin has really looked vulnerable on defense from watching the games is when he gambles on help D and leaves his man with a relatively uncontested 3. But this might very well be a coaching thing as McHale might prefer contesting in the paint and letting people who aren't known 3 point snipers jack up 3s. It's certainly the higher percentage play.

He is not an above average defender, not even close. I'm not saying he is this major liability but the guy gets burned alot and his steals are sure thing a nice feature in his game but he takes alot of risks as well and he has left his guys pretty open at times. He's a mediocre defender and mediocre on offense.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #44
Klazart
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Klazart has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
He is not an above average defender, not even close. I'm not saying he is this major liability but the guy gets burned alot and his steals are sure thing a nice feature in his game but he takes alot of risks as well and he has left his guys pretty open at times. He's a mediocre defender and mediocre on offense.

Well I'll respectfully disagree.

He doesn't get burned a lot. If you want to look very superficially at box scores you might be able to make such a claim, however if you look at the individual plays in context it's clear that he does a good job on defense.

If you watch the rockets play this season, it's clear that Harden is far weaker on defense, yet no one is calling him a defensive liability. To be honest, I don't blame him because he's new to the role, the team is still gelling and the coaches are asking far too much from him.

As for Lin's offense, that's another debate entirely, and another area where I suspect you are ignoring context and actual gameplay for superficial box scores to support your confirmation bias.
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #45
millwad
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,726
millwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat coolmillwad is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazart
Well I'll respectfully disagree.

He doesn't get burned a lot. If you want to look very superficially at box scores you might be able to make such a claim, however if you look at the individual plays in context it's clear that he does a good job on defense.

If you watch the rockets play this season, it's clear that Harden is far weaker on defense, yet no one is calling him a defensive liability. To be honest, I don't blame him because he's new to the role, the team is still gelling and the coaches are asking far too much from him.

As for Lin's offense, that's another debate entirely, and another area where I suspect you are ignoring context and actual gameplay for superficial box scores to support your confirmation bias.

Lets agree that we disagree.

Just so you know, I have no interest in seeing Lin fail. I am a Rocket fan and Lin was still in HS when I started to follow the Rockets, I only wish him success because a great Lin will give the Rockets a much greater chance to become great as well.

I'm not happy at all this far though, they gave up one great point guard in Dragic for a completely unproven Lin and this far I am not impressed at all and there are several things with his game that I'm very skeptical towards.

But hey, if he proves me wrong I'm the first one to tell so and I'm the first one to give him recognition for it and it's my only wish as a Rocket fan.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy