Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #136
Legends66NBA7
Apex
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 19,668
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
It's possible but I think you have to remember that Kobe is one of the few players ever to attempt 40+ FG's in a game and he's done it a bajilion times. Just worth remembering. I always am surprised T-Mac didn't have more 50+ games, but he only had one year where he really scored at a legendary level, whereas Kobe has had like 3. Kobe does seem to have more peaks and valleys than anyone else though.

Yeah, I know his production and legacy would be completely different.

I always thought it was amazing that he started racking up a lot of individual awards when he was deep in his career (similar to Malone in a way), so him being the first option from the start and his strong work ethic would be an interesting mix.

And the peaks and valleys you touched upon... Scenarios like 03-04 for example, perhaps don't happen either.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #137
Rubio2Gasol
College star
 
Rubio2Gasol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,932
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

You're presenting stats not facts.

People have given legit reasons, he has the most diverse scoring Arsenal. Same reason you'd take Dirk is a better scorer than half the fools who outscore him every year.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #138
Dave3
NBA lottery pick
 
Dave3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,921
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
What does 1 or 2 more ppg have to do with definitively annointing one player a better scorer than another?

It's actually 3 ppg for their entire career. That's not a difference of one or two 50 point games....that's a difference of 3000+ points over their equal tenures in the league, and accounting for LeBron's extra 40 games in the regular season, that's still a 2000 point difference for an equal amount of games played by each. 2000 points...that's a full season's worth of scoring that LeBron has over Melo in an equal amount of games. All of a sudden seems like quite a bit huh?


Quote:
Having 1 more 50 point game? Things like this are trivial and mean nothing.
Like I said earlier, it's not 1 more 50 point game...it's one more season of 25 ppg. A full season of 25 ppg is the difference between their scoring in an equal amount of games.

Quote:
David Robinson had a 71 point game once, is he a better scorer than Hakeem who rarely if ever scored 50? Cmon brah...

This isn't a case of LeBron has a higher career high in points than Melo (though he does), it's a case of higher career ppg, higher career points (by 3000 points), more scoring titles, and even better efficiency while doing it. You can't really argue against something that compelling and expect to make a good point.

3000 more career points, better FG%, eFG% and TS% (take your pick of which one you like) and higher playoff scoring average.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #139
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,956
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
Yeah, I know his production and legacy would be completely different.

I always thought it was amazing that he started racking up a lot of individual awards when he was deep in his career (similar to Malone in a way), so him being the first option from the start and his strong work ethic would be an interesting mix.

And the peaks and valleys you touched upon... Scenarios like 03-04 for example, perhaps don't happen either.
Btw he wouldnt have been good enough yet to score that much when he was a bench player and Shaq didn't really affect Kobes PPG the way some act like, which outside of 2005-06 and (to a lesser extent) 06-07 has stayed around the same area more or less.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #140
Dave3
NBA lottery pick
 
Dave3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,921
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
You're presenting stats not facts.

People have given legit reasons, he has the most diverse scoring Arsenal. Same reason you'd take Dirk is a better scorer than half the fools who outscore him every year.
Dirk also doesn't shoot that much, but has shown he can when needed in the playoffs.

Melo takes as many shots as anyone else and they still score more. He's also not shown the same ability as Dirk to basically score on demand throughout entire playoff series.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #141
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,956
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
You're presenting stats not facts.

People have given legit reasons, he has the most diverse scoring Arsenal. Same reason you'd take Dirk is a better scorer than half the fools who outscore him every year.
Dirk steps up his scoring in the playoffs, as does LeBron. Melo has had multiple playoffs where he's been complete shit. No one cares if Melo is more versatile than Lebron when Lebron scores more and more efficiently every damn year and every damn playoffs. And Melo looks to score WAAAYYYYYY more than LBJ yet still can't outscore him. Seriously this isn't an argument just stop overrating Melo.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #142
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,956
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3
Dirk also doesn't shoot that much, but has shown he can when needed in the playoffs.

Melo takes as many shots as anyone else and they still score more. He's also not shown the same ability as Dirk to basically score on demand throughout entire playoff series.
Exactly. I should have added playoffs to show Dirks best.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #143
Legends66NBA7
Apex
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 19,668
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Btw he wouldnt have been good enough yet to score that much when he was a bench player and Shaq didn't really affect Kobes PPG the way some act like, which outside of 2005-06 and (to a lesser extent) 06-07 has stayed around the same area more or less.

Yeah, he wouldn't be elite right away, but around 1999-2000 or 2000-2001... He should have been scoring much more. No reason he shouldn't, unless he does have more scoring options on another hypothetical team.

I don't believe Shaq got in his way either. Post 2000, I thought Kobe actually scored pretty damn close to Shaq (ignoring efficiency off course; not like you can be more efficient that Shaq from the field anyways).
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #144
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 23,199
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
You're presenting stats not facts.

People have given legit reasons, he has the most diverse scoring Arsenal. Same reason you'd take Dirk is a better scorer than half the fools who outscore him every year.
Shut up you clown. It's over. You have nothing and you know it. Keep
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #145
Rubio2Gasol
College star
 
Rubio2Gasol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,932
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Shut up you clown. It's over. You have nothing and you know it. Keep

Lol.

Anyway, Dirk scores 26 points on 47 % on the playoffs.. Not particularly special for a big man. He takes less shots because he gets to the line more.But yet, he is easily a better scorer than any power forward I've seen.

The diverse offensive arsenal has it's merits, whether you choose to place emphasis on it or not isn't really my concern.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #146
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,956
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
Lol.

Anyway, Dirk scores 26 points on 47 % on the playoffs.. Not particularly special for a big man. He takes less shots because he gets to the line more.But yet, he is easily a better scorer than any power forward I've seen.

The diverse offensive arsenal has it's merits, whether you choose to place emphasis on it or not isn't really my concern.
For Dirk sure. It doesn't help Melo considering he tosses up countless bricks in the playoffs while LeBron Kobe and Durant dominate.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #147
Nash
NBA rookie of the year
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,671
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Melo has always been a great scorer.
Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #148
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 23,199
Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Knicks fans would do well to just be realistic. It's never enough to just be happy with what that have and just complement their team and players proportionately. They always have to go the extra step and make outlandish claims of being the best or better than players or teams that are clearly better.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy