Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #286
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mike D'Antoni hired as new Lakers head coach!

Anyone knows when he'll join the Lakers and/or be at the sidelines?
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #287
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Knicks fans seem to be forgetting that you take away D'Antoni and "Linsanity" doesn't happen. His offensive brilliance is what allows pretty much any player to shine in his system. He made guys like Channing Frye look like all stars and look at how they all dropped off when he left Phoenix?

Knicks fans need to wake up and realize that a 4+ year sample size with a cohesive roster without dysfunction is far more significant than a 2 year sample size with a poorly built, ego filled, micro managed roster. Bottom line is the Knicks last year were horseshit and I wouldn't have wanted to coach them either if I was any coach.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #288
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Knicks fans seem to be forgetting that you take away D'Antoni and "Linsanity" doesn't happen. His offensive brilliance is what allows pretty much any player to shine in his system. He made guys like Channing Frye look like all stars and look at how they all dropped off when he left Phoenix?

Knicks fans need to wake up and realize that a 4+ year sample size with a cohesive roster without dysfunction is far more significant than a 2 year sample size with a poorly built, ego filled, micro managed roster. Bottom line is the Knicks last year were horseshit and I wouldn't have wanted to coach them either if I was any coach.
Knicks under D'Antoni 18-24
Knicks under Woodson 18-6

And also add 4-0 this season under Woodson.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #289
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this board

I think Knicks fans' hatred of D'Antoni is irrational. He did very well with the pre-Melo squad that was young and maybe not so talented. Last year was a mess and he did not handle it well, but it was a crappy situation and there are other people who can shoulder some much of the blame.

and he did not "fail" in Phoenix ... his teams won 60 games and got to the Western conference Finals, how is that failing? In trading Marion for Shaquille O'Neal, the Suns undermined D'Antoni, same as when New York traded for Melo.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #290
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

If no Linsanity, then he gets fired earlier, we win more games and get a better seed.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #291
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryToBeUnbias
" Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells @CBSSports.
Retweeted by @KEVIN DING "
Nice
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #292
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

TryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation here

Good or Bad this is our Coach now.
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #293
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Mike D'Antoni signs a four-year deal with the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
told ya.. no one believed me. ( well i was wrong about dunleavy ... ) but i knew they would laugh at phils outlandish proposals and demands

he basically asked to coach half a season, get paid twice as much, do half as much, and have all decision making controll over buss and kupchak. and only give them 2 years of his time

dude just threw away possible 12th and 13th rings because of his ego

I think his health and family might have had something to do with it as well lol.

And hey he was retired and happy where he was. The Lakers were the ones that needed him, not the other way around. So how could you blaim him for not trying to negotiate things to his benefit?
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #294
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

As someone who watches most Knicks games, and as someone who defended D'Antoni early in his Knick career, I can tell you that D'Antoni is NOT a good coach. The team was completely disorganized on both offense and defense. It was a mess. It was as if they weren't coached at all. Please no excuses about not having right players....not excuse for bad coaching.

Now take Mike Woodson (who I really didn't want as head coach), and I can tell you, just in 4 games, the team is MUCH MUCH better coached. The defense is sharp. You can tell they practice rotating and practice team defense over and over. The offense has.....A GAMEPLAN...you can tell they are coached...yes its isolation heavy with Melo and JR, but you can see they also have other options, they pass effectively, and guys are on the same page.

It's not bitterness. It's just reality. I'm sure he'll do better with Nash/Kobe/Gasol/Howard, but......doesn't excuse the job he did in NY.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #295
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch

Let me fix that for you.

Knicks when Melo admitted he wasn't trying hard because he didn't like the coach: 18-24
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #296
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

fail

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #297
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch

Kaboom!!!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #298
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

He was a shitty coach for the Knicks. That doesn't mean he won't be ok for the Lakers but he was a shitty coach for the Knicks. He ran Amare into the ground when everyone (literally) said he needed to watch his minutes. (He ran everyone into the ground, he ran Lin into the ground, 40-45 minutes a game.) He'd play our starters up 15 pts in the 4th. He refused to change some things on defense that prevented us from playing better. We switched too much on defense, it never changed. EVER. He wanted Melo to be basically a catch and shoot player with Lin handling the bulk of the offense. When it didn't work, did we modify? NO.

He really sucked as a coach here. He didn't have the players to run his system and he was completely inflexible to the idea of changing anything. That inflexibility drove me nuts. If we had the roster to do what he wanted i'd get it more, but we didn't. We were D'Antoni ball without the PG and shooters.

I think people like to reflexively bash the Knicks but it doesn't take a genius to see how much better the Knicks are under Woodson and how he instantly (like in two days) addressed the problems the Knicks had using Melo, and switching on defense. He told them not to switch so much. That's it.

D'Antoni is a good coach when his system is working. But when it's not working he's a bad coach. Because his plan B is a slight modification of Plan A. If his system works for the Lakers he's going to be a freaking super hero and they are going to be sick. If he doesn't and they need to adjust, don't hold your breath.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #299
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this board

really, lakers fan, I don't think you should be upset with this hiring.

the lakers are a team of men, and mike likes to coach men. his "system" will allow for a loose structure that will complement this group of players' games.

I would worry a bit about Kobe because he likes the triple threat game, but he can also handle the ball in the pick and roll and Mike does allow for some isolation--Amar'e used to do it all the time.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #300
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Note: Why would we be bitter about MDA? We kicked him out, he didn't leave, he didn't throw rocks on the way out, and we got better after he was gone. And he didn't go to a rival and he's still not bashing us.

Bitter would mean i'd be angry if he does well with the Lakers, i'd laugh hysterically if the Lakers won the title over Miami. Bitter? NO. A bit perplexed at his hiring..yes.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: