Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #316
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

mrhoopfan has decent reputation
Default Re: Mike D'Antoni hired as new Lakers head coach!

Does D'antoni now expect Kobe to play role as spot up shooter while Nash does his romp=a-room act??? I really really hope not. New head coach must adapt. Carmelo SUCKED under his leadership and it'd be a shame to give the reigns over from guys who've one championships to a player in Nash that has never been to one
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #317
DixieNourmous
Livin Large

DixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe681
Actually from what the dudes on ESPN 710 are saying, is that it was a unanimous decision between Jim, Mitch and Big Daddy Jerry. They wanted D'Antoni from the start.

Thats after the fact, they are already on damage control im sure.

espn reports that Phil is shocked and there was an agreement to let Phil decide over the weekend.

I cant see anyone but Jim doing something till Phil had his weekend.

Deal was struck at "3am Monday morning est". If Phil is "shocked" its safe to say he didn`t decline coaching at 2:30 am

Last edited by DixieNourmous : 11-12-2012 at 04:12 PM.
DixieNourmous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #318
Kobe681
Great young streetballer

Kobe681 has decent reputationKobe681 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoopfan
Does D'antoni now expect Kobe to play role as spot up shooter while Nash does his romp=a-room act??? I really really hope not. New head coach must adapt. Carmelo SUCKED under his leadership and it'd be a shame to give the reigns over from guys who've one championships to a player in Nash that has never been to one

Just because they are hiring D'Antoni doesnt mean that the team now revolves around Nash. This isnt MVP Nash anymore and theyre not gonna run that same offense. Its not the here's-the-ball-Nash-lets-go offense.

But I definitely see a more free flowing offense. And Nash will have a bigger role than he had in the first couple games/preseason and a bigger role than he would have in the typical Triangle Offense.
Kobe681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #319
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Note: Why would we be bitter about MDA? We kicked him out, he didn't leave, he didn't throw rocks on the way out, and we got better after he was gone. And he didn't go to a rival and he's still not bashing us.

Bitter would mean i'd be angry if he does well with the Lakers, i'd laugh hysterically if the Lakers won the title over Miami. Bitter? NO. A bit perplexed at his hiring..yes.
You guys will be bitter when the Lakers are 2012-13 NBA Champs!
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #320
Kobe681
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieNourmous
Thats after the fact, they are already on damage control im sure.

espn reports that Phil is shocked and there was an agreement to let Phil decide over the weekend.

I cant see anyone but Jim doing something till Phil had his weekend.

Deal was struck at "3am Monday morning est". If Phil is "shocked" its safe to say he didn`t decline coaching at 2:30 am

Maybe the rumors of "Its Phils job to turn down" were not as accurate as we all thought they were?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #321
DixieNourmous
Livin Large

DixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe681
Maybe the rumors of "Its Phils job to turn down" were not as accurate as we all thought they were?

That could be true.

Phil said he was shocked because he had the weekend to decide. seems like a slap the the face to Phil. Jim Buss playing almighty is my guess.

3am est is midnight in LA. So Jim Buss signs another coach 1 minute into monday and like * hey times up Phil". All of it is bizarre.

Last edited by DixieNourmous : 11-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.
DixieNourmous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #322
Kobe681
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieNourmous
That could be true.

Phil said he was shocked because he had the weekend to decide. seems like a slap the the face to Phil. Jim Buss playing almighty is my guess.

3am est is midnight in LA. So Jim Buss signs another coach 1 minute into monday and like * hey times up Phil". All of it is bizarre.

Yeah, its definitely bizarre if we believe all the reports there were getting circulated all weekend.

But i'd like to think that a decision like this doesnt get the OK from Jerry. And its kind of hard to argue with him on these kinds of things.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #323
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Mike's direction was stupid. And it wasn't just Melo's effort, everyone's was lagging at that point. He was telling them to do things that did not work.

Mike wanted Melo to stand in the corner and shoot jumpers and play off Lin 100%. Melo is a better player than Lin is. It made no sense. He never once tried to design an offense that took advantage of both of them.

His biggest problem as a coach IMO (if the Knick performance is indicative of everything) is that not only did he not have a plan B, but he had to almost be beaten into considering it.

I will agree with his use of Carmelo. And I think you'd agree with me that he flat out didn't want Carmelo and refused to work with him.

I was saying this from the beginning of last season: D'Antoni wanted to get fired and clearly hated coaching the team. He wasn't going to quite and lose the money. He was just waiting to be fired. As a Knick fan, it sucks, because it would have been nice to see us playing ball earlier. Then again, I got to see Linsanity and that genuinely made me happy. I also hope that some of this has had enough of an effect on Melo that he tries harder.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #324
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

BTW peoples, you all realize that a running offense is not necessarily predicated and player speed, right? Steve Nash is just as fast today as he was 5 years ago, which is to say he has good speed and is no blazer. He was the instigator. His Gretzky under the rim move and keeping his dribble alive...those are the things that made the Suns go. The rest is made up of people being able to run the floor.

Besides that, Gasol is not slow. And Dwight is faster than any other C in the league, and maybe faster than any other PF...Blake and maybe Amare (healthy) are the guys who could keep up with him.

And just for an example on my first point...Tim Duncan is still one of the best at running the floor. He always had decent speed but has clearly lost a lot...how many guys run the floor better than Duncan, when he plays C and even when he plays PF?
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #325
Godzuki
Banned

Godzuki is starting to rub some people the wrong way

it makes me laugh how so many people are just convinced by rings success and not common sense of the triangle being just as steep a learning curve if not more than the Princeton, on top of the offense being based around the post distribution with nothing for the PG to do but stand around 3 pt land chucking 3's. everyone just cares about Phil's big name and thinks automatic ring, and for that reason i'm sort of disappointed Phil didn't get hired so i could watch him fail and Phil fans realizing common sense > reputation.

Mike D bringing Showtime back to the Lakers. that place is going to be going nuts instead of falling asleep now and facepalming from all the TO's their post and wing players were making!!!!111
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #326
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Mad and bitter about what ? Because our team improved greatly since D'Antoni left ?

I'm just warning you guys. When the Lakers disappoint because of D'Antoni just don't say I didn't warn you.

D'Antoni had some pretty good runs in Phoenix and was a Robert Horry hipcheck away from the Finals.

The problem with the Knicks wasn't D'Antoni.

Mamba out
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #327
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
You guys will be bitter when the Lakers are 2012-13 NBA Champs!
No because I still wouldn't want him as our coach. It doesn't change my perception of the Lakers at all.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #328
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
No because I still wouldn't want him as our coach. It doesn't change my perception of the Lakers at all.

eh, fck the heat, knicks/lakers finals would be epic
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #329
rmt
National High School Star

rmt is considered somewhat coolrmt is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickswin
and he did not "fail" in Phoenix ... his teams won 60 games and got to the Western conference Finals, how is that failing? In trading Marion for Shaquille O'Neal, the Suns undermined D'Antoni, same as when New York traded for Melo.

I'm almost positive that LAL's goal is not to win 60 games and get to the WCF. After not being able to get past the Spurs (what?) 3 times, they took a chance on getting Shaq to guard Duncan. Before they were always having to double team him or let him get off.

As a Spurs fan, I'm happy (so is Pop) that they'll go against a D'Antoni coached Lakers instead of a Phil Jackson coached team.

Here's Jalen Rose's opinion of D'Antoni's (NO-DEFENSE) coaching style:

I played for the Phoenix Suns. 2007. My last season. As were playing against the San Antonio Spurs. And I remember us coming to our first practice before Game 1. And we brought it in. And we were excited about our playoffs getting started. And Coach D'Antoni put in some film. It was Steve behind the back. Amare slam dunk. Shawn Marion with the block. Raja Bell with the charge. It was a highlight film of our team. They have showed me making a shot on there, and I was barely even playing.

So after that he as like all right, we're going to run and down, go through our set plays and whatnot, and we're going to get out of here.

And I looked at Kurt Thomas. I hit him with an elbow. I'm like hold on. I gotta say something.

So I did my Arnold Horshack from "Welcome Back, Kotter."

I'm like "ooh, ooh, ooh, hey coach. I gotta ask a question. Are we going to talk about how we're going to defend Tim Duncan on the post? Are we going to talk about Manu Ginobili in pick and roll? Keeping Tony Parker out of the paint?"

He looked at me in front of the entire team and coaching staff and said: "We're not worried about what they do. If we play to the best of our abilities, and do what we're supposed to do, there is no way they can beat us. We don't mind if Tim goes off. If Tim goes off, that means everybody else is quiet."

So, people gave us a pass. And we were a great team. And Robert Horry did knock my guy Steve Nash into the scoreboard. And Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw got up off the bench and I should have been paying attention and being a vet, and grabbed Amare -- maybe I'd have a ring to this day.

They walked out on the floor, they get suspended late in the series, and we did lose that game.

But we really lost the series in Game 1. When the guy that couldn't beat us by himself -- Tim Duncan -- he only had 40 and 20 in Game 1.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...d-mbah-a-moute
rmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #330
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Mike D'Antoni signs a four-year deal with the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale
Gasol won't be any worse than Channing Frye and Artest can knock them down, too. The odd man out here is Kobe. He is not a spot up shooter. His shot has a bigger chance of going in if he dribbles, turns, pumpfakes, steps back, etc.

G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: