Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Phil Jackson Statement

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...0,711560.story

Quote:

Former Lakers Coach Phil Jackson was sleeping comfortably Saturday night when the phone rang. It was the Lakers. They delivered stunning news. Mike D'Antoni got the job, not him.
Jackson told his side of the story in a statement Monday.
“Saturday morning, [Lakers executive] Jim Buss called to ask if he could come and visit. I didn’t solicit or ask for the opportunity but I welcomed both him and [team executive] Mitch Kupchak into my home to discuss the possibility of my return to the Lakers as head coach," Jackson said.
“We talked for over an hour and a half. No contractual terms were discussed and we concluded with a handshake and an understanding that I would have until Monday [today] to come back to them with my decision. I did convey to them that I did have the confidence that I could do the job. I was awakened at midnight Sunday by a phone call from Mitch Kupchak. He told me that the Lakers had signed Mike D’Antoni to a three-year agreement and that they felt he was the best coach for the team. The decision is of course theirs to make. I am gratified by the groundswell of support from the Laker fans who encouraged my return and it is the principal reason why I considered the possibility."
D'Antoni signed a three-year, $12-million deal late Sunday night.
Jackson's agent, Todd Musburger, added that media coverage portraying Jackson as being full of demands was inaccurate.
Some Internet reports stated that Jackson wanted more front-office power and wanted to skip large swaths of road games this season.
"No discussion of those ideas being contractual terms or demands was ever made," Musburger said. "They had a full discussion of the club, the roster, the schedule, assistants, etc. But to allow someone either on their side or on D’Antoni’s side to make these allegations -- unsubstantiated and incorrect -- and incorrectly maligning Phil is so objectionable to us that the process would have concluded this way."
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

BlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this board
Default Re: Phil Jackson Statement

USA Today also reporting that Jackson's agent took a red-eye flight this morning to start negotiations. Can't believe the Lakers would have screwed over Phil... right?
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

this may turn out to be costly, phil has way too much experience coaching in similar situations not to hire him
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Repeating part of the article:

"No discussion of those ideas being contractual terms or demands was ever made," Musburger said. "They had a full discussion of the club, the roster, the schedule, assistants, etc. But to allow someone either on their side or on D’Antoni’s side to make these allegations -- unsubstantiated and incorrect -- and incorrectly maligning Phil is so objectionable to us that the process would have concluded this way."
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board

Lakers might have fucked up.

This is still kind of odd to me. D'Antoni's previous coaching gig was a disaster and he got fired mid-season. Yet you take him over the guy that won 5 rings for your franchise? Lakers are taking a big risk here.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
b0bab0i
National High School Star

b0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
Lakers might have fucked up.

This is still kind of odd to me. D'Antoni's previous coaching gig was a disaster and he got fired mid-season. Yet you take him over the guy that won 5 rings for your franchise? Lakers are taking a big risk here.

D'Antoni resigned.
b0bab0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

This is Jim Buss getting revenge on Phil Jackson for saying he never talked to Jim Buss at all during his last season in L.A.

Plain and simple, Buss wanted to humiliate Phil in public.

Classy move Lakers.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

kuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterkuniva_dAMiGhTy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

PJax getting played like a fiddle. Dayum!
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i
D'Antoni resigned.

Because he was about to get fired.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

Phil will have the last laugh somehow. he always gets his way
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

It's just weird to me that the Lakers wouldn't sign him if he didn't make all those demands. They clearly admitted they ****ed up by hiring brown, hence firing him after 5 games. So why would you go and hire Mike D'antoni, instead of Phil? Doesn't make sense, unless the demands were ridiculous. The Lakers front office is pretty smart, I wouldn't expect such a dumb decision like passing up Phil for D'antoni for the reason of "he's the best man for the job".
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
RRR3
Chalmers for 3

RRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRRR3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
Phil will have the last laugh somehow. he always gets his way
He ****s Jim Buss's sister every night.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i
D'Antoni resigned.
While deemed correct, the Knicks probably gave him an ultimatum. Resign or get fired.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
He ****s Jim Buss's sister every night.

Phil looking old as f*ck and still gettin' dem hoes.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i'm not going to throw jimmy under the buss, but this here seems to fit very well with why things played out the way they did:
Quote:
Buss did everything possible to rid the Lakers of any post-PJ influence, firing holdover assistants and scouts. Would Buss be willing to swallow his arrogance/pride (along with a huge dose of crow), admit his egregious error, and rehire the Zen Master? Is Buss big-minded enough to do this?

Another consideration is that the two coaches Buss hired on his own recognizance (Brown and Rudy Tomjanovich) were awful. It's therefore clear that Buss's judgment in anything to do with basketball simply cannot be trusted. Left to his own devices, he will (and already has) transformed the Lakers from a perennial powerhouse to a joke. Yet Buss is still determined to prove (a la Jerry Krause) that organizations, certainly not coaches, win championships.

http://*********.com/columns/rosen/p...x-over-dantoni
that was from charley rosen at hoops hype website. for some reason ISH is blocking it.

anyway, jimmy certainly wouldn't be the first guy who suddenly got control of a powerful organisation and wanted to put his stamp on it. even if it meant kind of thumbing his nose at what came before... and what had worked.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: