Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Tonight's game vs. Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
One other observation, Val picks up his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter and doesn't play another minute. Not in the 4th, and not in ANY of the overtimes. Why would he get nailed to the bench in a game like this? I'd rather have seen him play and foul out if anything.

Yeah. Having Gray in there was just laughable. Dude sat on the bench forever and then was expected to come in and contribute. With Valanciunas in the game, you just have so many more options.

Strange turn of events, that's for sure.

If you say you're starting Valanciunas at Centre because he's proved to be the best option there, and will give the team the best chance to win; why is he sitting on your bench during the most important part of the game?
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This was an extremely exciting game. Kind of deflating in a way but yet i'm still happy with how we fought. Crazy that Derozan played 60 mins. He looked gassed in that 3rd OT and with good reason. I jumped out of my chair for that dunk in the 1st OT that was nuts.

The thing that stood out to me is that despite Demar's limitations as a player, he's still the one who demands the ball, wants to take the shot, and continually wants to get better as a player. I still don't think he deserves the contract he got but yet it's hard not to like the guy.

That Al Jefferson 3 was painful as other have said. Huge game by Calderon 50 mins 20/17/3. I can't remember Bargnani doing much of anything much in the 4th and the 3 overtimes aside from that one foul he drew and those FT's.

Val playing 16 minutes in a triple overtime game is as Chambs said.... laughable. Come on Casey.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #18
hassano
High School Varsity 12th Man

hassano has decent reputationhassano has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Absolutely not. The Jazz have a way stronger post presence and that is crucial to getting to the line.

Not to single you out hassano, because I haven't seen you make this complaint before, but I've heard/seen this complaint from somebody every game.

haven't noticed it in any other games, guess I was really going through the motions with this one.

as far as Dwane not playing Val, I dunno? maybe to avoid him inevitably fouling the other bigs, but I don't get it considering there was plenty of fouling going on by the other raptors and he only had two left.

also I felt like our offence was a bit one dimensional, albeit Derozan had the hot hand they should have found a way to keep Bargs and Kleiza going in the 2nd half and OTs.

other than that as Bokes said super exciting, if Demar continues to improve he may even be worth his contract.
he said hoping he doesn't go 0 for 11 next game with poor defence
hassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Absolutely loving what i'm seeing out of Val tonight. I wonder if him getting more minutes is a bi-product of all the minutes the guys played last night or if he was possibly being punished for picking up those fouls quickly.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Absolutely loving what i'm seeing out of Val tonight. I wonder if him getting more minutes is a bi-product of all the minutes the guys played last night or if he was possibly being punished for picking up those fouls quickly.
Not sure, but I agree that Val looked good tonight. As did Amir (who I feel doesn't get enough mention on this board.) dude is playing his heart out.

Think they should start Kleiza ahead of Fields. just a thought....

btw - Calderon playing out of his mind the last couple games. Increasing his trade value.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
btw - Calderon playing out of his mind the last couple games. Increasing his trade value.

"Trade? We're already working out a 5-year extension."
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Same thing happened tonight with Valanciunas getting benched down the stretch. I guess Amir was playing well enough to stay out on the floor, and they absolutely have to have Bargnani out there (), so I suppose it's more forgivable than last night. Very fortunate to come up with this win, however.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
bokes15
Playoffs!

I feel like Casey at this point is pretty much following the policy of "he's a rookie so I don't trust him down the stretch." But if Bargnani's playing like punani, do you keep him out there? Or if guys are in foul trouble you throw in Aaron Gray down the stretch? Really? The kid is playing great, he was having a good night and we only scored 5 damn points in the whole quarter. I don't think it could've hurt to give him at least 3-4 minutes in the 4th quarter.

That being said, this win took guts with just a 24 hour turnaround from that triple OT marathon heartbreaker. Clearly the guys had nothing in the tank coming down the stretch and adrenaline carried them through the first 3 quarters. They deserved this win, well done. And especially to Mr. Calderon for his first triple double. We can all say whatever we want about his shortcomings but no matter what the dude has heart. Period.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #24
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

"Trade? We're already working out a 5-year extension."
: touche
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I hope nobody ever questioned Calderon's heart. The only thing I don't like about him is his defense. On the right team though, he could put up all-star type numbers.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #26
bokes15
Playoffs!

Also another thing, Demar has been earning my respect. He's still not the greatest shooter or ball handler in the world but what he has done is improve on his defense and rebounding. And, he's been much more aggressive on the offensive end. Granted not every play he complains about are legit fouls but I have been saying for a long time now that he gets no respect. If he runs into the paint and gets clobbered maybe 30% of the time they'll call a foul and 70% of the time it will be a play on. I like the fact though that he keeps going on in there and getting banged up because I do believe he's forcing the officials to start taking notice like Jack said.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: