Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: Who's Seen Do the Right Thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Spike Lee makes me angry. How can you practically start your career with Do the Right Thing, and then proceed to give us throwaways like Jungle Fever and Crooklyn?
Watch your fcking mouth, that is one of my favorite movies ever!!
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
iamgine

Simply a movie showing how racial tension can escalate.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
MichaelCheazley
B-Eazy Mike Beasley

Dont worry man. You're not racist. You took a black chick to prom didnt ya?
MichaelCheazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #19
NoGunzJustSkillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Film is overrated, and it's considered to be Spike's best work.

I don't know what my opinion is on racism. I just try my best not to get involve in it. By this, I mean I try not to play a victim of it and definitely not one myself. I do have that "race/ethnic pride" feeling sometimes but I try my best not to express it in front of people.
Eh, put Spike on the map more than it being his best work. Miracle at St. Anna
Any other Spike Lee movie, I couldn't sit through longer than 5-10 mins.

Last edited by NoGunzJustSkillz : 11-13-2012 at 01:59 AM.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
irondarts

I need to watch this again. I haven't in a long time. Isn't Gus from Breaking Bad in it?
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #21
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

There will always be individual differences that make us unique that will split people apart. It's the way of nature.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #22
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
The character Buggin Out really annoyed me, because I felt that although he obviously knew that there was a lot of racism in the world that needed to be stopped, he was focusing on trivial things like there being only Italian Americans on Sal's wal (for example, a local pizzeria in Stl only has photos of famous latinos and I've never thought about that other than them being proud of famous latinos). Looking back, I realize Sal was more racist than I realized. Obviously his son (Turturro) is blatantly racist, and I knew that during the film, but I didn't really get mad at him the way I always have at blatantly racist characters I've seen in any other film. I also missed the point of Radio Raheem's death, and was overly concerned with Mookie throwing the trash can in the window. I really thought the only reasonable characters were Jade and Da Mayor.

Buggin Out wasn't as crazy as he looked and acted. Sal's wall was important. His customers are overwhelmingly Black, yet Sal never thought he had to show them any respect. Instead they sit down and eat and get a strong dose of Italian history while they chow down on some pizza. It rarely happens the other way around. While there are a kabillion Chinese joints in the hood, most Blacks don't know who Mao Tse Tung is and I can't ever recall seeing Asian people in the pictures. Anytime you have a shrine that doesn't make the regulars feel at home, the regulars will always have an edge or feel like they don't belong - and don't let it be a 90 degree day!

Spike Lee worked on racial tensions throughout a community and the viewer was made to feel uncomfortable, over and over again. Sal who is somebody that makes you relax on nice cool day but he has an edge when he gets uncomfortable... as a result the viewer has nothing to hold on to, except ones own edge. Everybody is suppressing this inner hypocrisy or contradiction in the film. The movie was extremely well crafted so don't feel bad RRR. The militants are just more hyped and amped than the others so they always bring the un-comfort with them, its just more visible.

For a lot of victims of racism, most outside people don't know how loaded a simple walk to the store can become. The Asian people behind the counter face racism everyday as well. The can that collects garbage is used to crash the fishbowl they worked and ate in (Sal's joint). Once the water was out of the fish bowl, the fish can't really live life the same way as they did before. Mookie cut off his dependence on Sal and killed the little trust they had in each other. The WALLS that kept Sal safe and a safe distance from the outside folks collapsed. Sal was in the community but wasn't of the community and that was safe for Sal. Once Sal answers the question about his wall and doesn't mention the value of his clientele he was only one good hot day from loosing that wall.

The movie worked themes, personalities and photography at a very high level. Every ten years you will see something very different in the movie. It challenges you and makes you confront things about your self and society. Its colorful, tricky and confrontational. So don't feel bad. Some people are racist and don't know it. Some people have the tendencies and don't know it. But if you have self awareness you can at least identify it and correct it.

Last edited by Pointguard : 11-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I think Do the Right Thing had multiple messages that are to be seen from many angles

Sal's is a good example. While some people wondered why he didnt have no brothers on the walls, Sal's explanation was fair... It was his store, so he put who he wanted on the walls.. I think thats fair... I also think a little Italian history isnt bad for anyone... but I also grew up in a neighborhood as diverse as Brooklyn, so I knew what it feels like to go to Asian owned stores and Italian stores and feel like these people are just parasites on the community or feel a certain cultural tension simply between of cultural differences.

I think everyone in the movie got carried away with their own perspective and that is what made everything go to sh*t at the end..

Great movie... dont get too wrapped up in the racial tension that you miss the lesson from it...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #24
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

damn r333 your black and jewish. how does it feel to succeed but yet fail in society?
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Pointguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I think Do the Right Thing had multiple messages that are to be seen from many angles

Sal's is a good example. While some people wondered why he didnt have no brothers on the walls, Sal's explanation was fair... It was his store, so he put who he wanted on the walls.. I think thats fair...

The walls are symbolic(home, enclosure, decorative, cultural, roots) and thematic (support, images, source of tension, differences) in the movie. Sal's decoration of the wall was perceived selfish and not reflective of the community that supported the business. Sal can do what he wants with the store but his community can too, and did... . Once Sal answers the question, about the wall, and doesn't show respect/value to those who represent his economic support, it sets up a long day of building retribution. To put it simple, the "I'm not like you" answer was the wrong answer on a hot day where tensions were building. The movie is really about the anatomy of a breakdown/riot.

Last edited by Pointguard : 11-13-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #26
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
The walls are symbolic(home, enclosure, decorative, cultural, roots) and thematic (support, images, source of tension, differences) in the movie. Sal's decoration of the wall was perceived selfish and not reflective of the community that supported the business. Sal can do what he wants with the store but his community can too, and did... . Once Sal answers the question and doesn't show respect/value to those who represent his economic support it sets up a long day of building retribution. To put it simple, the "I'm not like you" answer was the wrong answer on a hot day where tensions were building. The movie is really about the anatomy of a breakdown/riot.

This right here.

Though I always felt the wall thing was silly and should've been replaced with something else...like CDs/records in a record store. In reality, nobody would give a f*ck about a wall but they would about music tastes.....tie that in w/ Sam Jackson Radio and Radio Raheem and stuff and you get social commentary/motifs/parallelisms to music, race, and culture.

I mean, I do like the function of the wall as a symbolic way of showing how misrepresentations/under-representations lead to rioting and distrust but would prefer something like music instead.

Also, OP, the Bird and Magic contrasts are a good example of highlighting tensions/contradictions as well.

The white guy who was born in the ghetto sporting a Bird jersey in a black neighborhood. I mean, you're kind of asking for it to be repping a white player in a black neighborhood. But ironically, the blue collar Celtics were more black than the flashy, rich Showtime Lakers ever were.

So you know, OP, recognize the paradoxes and contradictions. It's okay to feel this way.

What you're experiencing is cognitive dissonance.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

This election made me aware of just how many people out there think that racism only exists in the South/Red States

those ignorant peeps need to see this movie...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #28
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
This election made me aware of just how many people out there think that racism only exists in the South/Red States

those ignorant peeps need to see this movie...
There are stupid mother****ers all over. THe difference is in the northeast we don't elect people who feel like that. Jk

This movie is not really reflective of the feel in NY now. It's different. I'm absolutely by no means saying we have no racial divides but it used to be much much different and the anger was palatable.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
MavsSuperFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1

Sal's is a good example. While some people wondered why he didnt have no brothers on the walls, Sal's explanation was fair... It was his store, so he put who he wanted on the walls.. I think thats fair... I also think a little Italian history isnt bad for anyone... but I also grew up in a neighborhood as diverse as Brooklyn, so I knew what it feels like to go to Asian owned stores and Italian stores and feel like these people are just parasites on the community or feel a certain cultural tension simply between of cultural differences.

I think everyone in the movie got carried away with their own perspective and that is what made everything go to sh*t at the end..

Great movie... dont get too wrapped up in the racial tension that you miss the lesson from it...

Just wondering why do you sometimes feel Asian and Italian owned businesses are parasites to your communities?

I mean people don't need to shop in a store, you always have the choice of denying them your business right?
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #30
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
There are stupid mother****ers all over. THe difference is in the northeast we don't elect people who feel like that. Jk

This movie is not really reflective of the feel in NY now. It's different. I'm absolutely by no means saying we have no racial divides but it used to be much much different and the anger was palatable.
I saw a study done on the most segregated states in the US and NY was top-10

there is racism everywhere...north south east west

If you grew up ANYWHERE in the US you have experienced it...unless you were home schooled or something and never left the house.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: