Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #46
LA Lakers
High school junior varsity star

LA Lakers has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Who's Seen Do the Right Thing?

Sal is conflicted. But hes racist too. Telling Radio Raheem to "turn that jungle music off." Of course just like lots of white guys its under the surface. For him its about community but also about making money in the community.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #47
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
It was post Howard Beach.

yup.. you're right...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #48
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Not a little, it's a lot. Like i said before, by no means am i saying we are perfect and colorblind but that time was angry and there was constant tension all over. It's not like that anymore all over. There are pockets here and there. Bensonhurst isn't like that at all, it can't be it's been invaded by asians. When i grew up in Bensonhurst i'd visit my cousin and you were kind of told you were ok if you were a light PR like me, not dark and not "too spanish". TOtally different time. I was in the midst of two separate riots in JHS. I mean riots, flipping cars, burning things, cops fighting with kids. I also got really dirty stairs for whatever chinese girl i had on my arm by the asian community. Now it's practically required the girls have a non chinese guy it feels like.

A thing about the movie that gets you is the mob mentality. It's amazing how fast people's tensions about race could boil over. It's really true. We used to play basketball with the more religious jewish kids, but one day when one of them came down and refused to play on anyone's team but his own people. It ****ed everything up and all of a sudden we had divides all over. Because of one douche who had to be only with "his kind".

80's Brooklyn vs. Now Brooklyn is a different world. A lot of it was the influx of the asian communities, they grew exponentially, moved into black and white areas that weren't very accepting and forced them to be accepting by changing the balance. The property values went up too, rich people don't riot.

good post
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #49
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Do the right thing was good. It was a lot better than that flawed Higher Learning
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #50
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I saw a study done on the most segregated states in the US and NY was top-10

there is racism everywhere...north south east west

If you grew up ANYWHERE in the US you have experienced it...unless you were home schooled or something and never left the house.
Realest shit you ever wrote
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #51
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The only thing this thread has made me realize is that I really want to grab a good slice of pizza right now.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #52
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

But I can kind of relate to OP feeling racist after watching the movie. It has been a long time since I've seen it but there are situation where I hear the inner workings in my mind and feel slightly ashamed.

It's not that I have some inner racist in me it more that I grew up around pretty much all white people in a small town 2 hrs from Pittsburgh (until I was 13). Most of the time I spent growing up I only experienced other races through stereotypes and media generalizations so it took me a long time to feel comfortable in non-white crowds.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #53
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Great flick ... everytime I watch it though, I need to eat a slice of pizza.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #54
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year

Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
There are stupid mother****ers all over. THe difference is in the northeast we don't elect people who feel like that. Jk

This movie is not really reflective of the feel in NY now. It's different. I'm absolutely by no means saying we have no racial divides but it used to be much much different and the anger was palatable.

New York, post 9 Eleven, would have to be the most integrated place on earth. NYC, has almost no lines where the middle class/ working class have hostile race relations. Places like Harlem, Lower East Side, South Bronx are now integrated. And I can't tell you where there are hostile relations in Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan.

I went to a High School in Queens in the '80's where we had more nationalities than the UN high school (285 different nationalities). In Queens we were always super ethnically tolerant. However, Black and White relations was a bit different but was definitely getting better in the 80's but you still had some hostility. I moved to Brooklyn right after HS.

Brooklyn was a place with a lot of territories, I wouldn't say it was all racist because I couldn't easily go into Brownsville or BedStuy when I lived in East New York because of where I lived. In general people in Brooklyn were always aggressive, the most aggressive people I experienced well beyond any place I experienced when I went touring into dozens of cities. People in Brooklyn wear their emotions on their sleeve and will tell you exactly how they feel. It was one place where you talked to people if you didn't know them and it was totally cool.

While other parts of Brooklyn were technically super segregated (it had clear lines of what neighborhoods were ethnically flavored to the block - One block could be Trinidadian and the next Jamaican) it wasn't hostile in its separation even back then in the 80's. However, Black and White relations were always loaded and you never knew when it could escalate and get out of hand. In general you were told to be weary of Bensonhurst, Brighton Beach, Brownsville, Bushwick, Bayside and a few other places back then because they were racially charged places. But they aren't that way now.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: