Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool
Default Cheapest car insurance?

I am 18 years old and am saving money to buy a car within the next year or so. My parents paid insurance for me while in HS, but now that I am in college they have taken me off. I will have to pay for it on my own when I get a car. Which company would offer the lowest rate for me? What do you guys use?
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Cheapest car insurance?

Where's Flo when you need her?

Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Odomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
I am 18 years old and am saving money to buy a car within the next year or so. My parents paid insurance for me while in HS, but now that I am in college they have taken me off. I will have to pay for it on my own when I get a car. Which company would offer the lowest rate for me? What do you guys use?
Geico is the best value. there absolutely no other insurance for your age that give the same value as Geico.

Which reminds me, I have good news.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Give me some information about you. Seriously, I can point you in the right direction. A chunk of my job entails knowing the in's and out's of the auto insurance industry so I can keep my competitors on their heels from a marketing but more-so premium-pricing perspective.

If you're uncomfortable putting your details on the forum, send me a PM.

Tell me the following:

Vehicle(s) you're looking to insure
Any other drivers to include
How good/bad is your credit?
What type of coverage are you looking for? (meaning just enough to cover your liability to others or do you want to cover your vehicle as well if you have an accident)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odomize
Geico is the best value. there absolutely no other insurance for your age that give the same value as Geico.

Which reminds me, I have good news.

You're not correct in what you're saying. There's more to it than just GEICO is the best for you. You have no clue what you're talking about.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Odomize

lol aight don't believe me but in the end he'll still end up with Geico.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool

Okay, here's some of my information.

Age- 19/20 when I look for insurance(18 currently)

City/State- Fishkill, NY 12524

Car- Hopefully a used mini-cooper

Driver's- Just me

My credit- I checked on this one site and it said 671, I think. I have been denied for "student" credit cards even though I am a freshman in college. I believe it has to do with loans that were taken out in my name in order to pay for college.

Coverage- Whatever is the cheapest.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why don't you call several companies and get quotes?

/end thread
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Sagat has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

/end thread

LOL - he's pretty much right. Call or go online for Progressive. Checking out GEICO wouldn't hurt, but honestly, they're not highly competitive in the northeast. Look into Liberty Mutual and / or MetLife; they're titans in that area of the country.

Your best bet though may be to go to a few local agents and see what they can offer you. State Farm, All-State or even Nationwide. They're "captive" agents meaning they will not shop your rate, but their rates may be solid for you.

There's also local independent agents, who actually can shop you for the best rate with about a dozen different companies. Just look up in your phone book and see who's there locally.

I would advise to stay away from companies like e-surance and other newly / non-household name companies. Their ability to pay out for claims is not that great, which is important even if you're only wanting a vehicle for simple liability coverage. You want someone who will go to bat for you or give you a fair claim on your own vehicle if it's damaged.

Hope this helps.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
enayes
Decent college freshman

Quote:

/end thread

Because I'm not ready to actually get insurance yet. I am just curious as to how much it will cost me in the future.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
Because I'm not ready to actually get insurance yet. I am just curious as to how much it will cost me in the future.

That's why you get a quote.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
enayes
Decent college freshman

Quote:
That's why you get a quote.

I'd rather not call the actual company yet. Thats why I posted it on a forum, to get advice. I really don't need people stating the obvious.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Looks like you do. Because the only way you're gonna find out who has the cheapest insurance, in your state, at your age, with your driving record, and your car, is a quote from a company. Not a bunch of people on a basketball message board.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
crounsa810
National High School Star

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster

Flo would have been perfect for this thread.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810
Flo would have been perfect for this thread.

LOL yep
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: