Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #181
Droid101
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Droid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,032
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
But they can buy almost whatever you want with food stamps, it's not like it's living very hard.
I know, right? Poor people have it so damn easy. You've convinced me, I'm quitting my job and going on food stamps. It's not living very hard like you say, man!!

Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #182
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Actually, relative to population size, blacks receive more.

But you act as if only rich people vote for republicans, when most of them are people who actually think they should work for their money. Of course people want free stuff, but what makes everyone else want to pay for it?

It's irrelevant if they want to be poor or not, if they are poor, then why is it the fault and/or the responsibility of others to make sure they can have a job?

But they can buy almost whatever you want with food stamps, it's not like it's living very hard.


keep up the "work for their money" bs...

thats the talk that lost you clowns the election

People of all races and ethnic groups 'work' for their money...

but you keep believing that FOX news nonsense

as long republicans believe that bullsh*t, they'll be out of the white house

thank god
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #183
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is
 
Mr. I'm So Rad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edge of Despair
Posts: 12,222
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
Actually, relative to population size, blacks receive more.

That's really a moot point.

Quote:
But you act as if only rich people vote for republicans, when most of them are people who actually think they should work for their money. Of course people want free stuff, but what makes everyone else want to pay for it?

But here's the thing: Not every poor person is poor because they're some lazy slob who refuses to do anything. I'm not taking about giving a person thousands of dollars for nothing. I'm talking about people who just want to eat and have a bed or floor to sleep on...the basic necessities of human life. Did you ever learn about the 5 basic needs of human life while in elementary?

Quote:
It's irrelevant if they want to be poor or not, if they are poor, then why is it the fault and/or the responsibility of others to make sure they can have a job?

It's not irrelevant because the attitude from lots of conservatives is that it's every poor person's fault for being poor as if they control the job market and wages. Wealth can't trickle down if a rich guy doesn't want it to.

Quote:
But they can buy almost whatever you want with food stamps, it's not like it's living very hard.

If you believe this then you really have no idea how the so called handouts you oppose really work. You can't buy whatever you want with foodstamps, and like I've said, it's not that much anyway. The most 1 person can get if they have zero income is $200 a month. And when you factor in rising food costs, and the fact that if they don't have any income they can't pay for anything else then you realize how little it really is.

So tell me, which would you rather have: $200 a month to spend on food only, or save $100,000 from getting a tax break from some loophole?
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #184
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
That's really a moot point.



But here's the thing: Not every poor person is poor because they're some lazy slob who refuses to do anything. I'm not taking about giving a person thousands of dollars for nothing. I'm talking about people who just want to eat and have a bed or floor to sleep on...the basic necessities of human life. Did you ever learn about the 5 basic needs of human life while in elementary?



It's not irrelevant because the attitude from lots of conservatives is that it's every poor person's fault for being poor as if they control the job market and wages. Wealth can't trickle down if a rich guy doesn't want it to.



If you believe this then you really have no idea how the so called handouts you oppose really work. You can't buy whatever you want with foodstamps, and like I've said, it's not that much anyway. The most 1 person can get if they have zero income is $200 a month. And when you factor in rising food costs, and the fact that if they don't have any income they can't pay for anything else then you realize how little it really is.

So tell me, which would you rather have: $200 a month to spend on food only, or save $100,000 from getting a tax break from some loophole?


It's not though. It's like saying that the Rolling Stones have sold more albums than someone like Cream. Sure, the Rolling Stones have sold more albums, but you'd expect that as they released more albums.

The attitude of conservatives (at least me) is that why should I, as someone who earned my money, pay for someone who can't. If I can earn my money, why is it my responsibility to make sure you can earn money.

I realize you can't buy anything on food stamps, hence the almost before it. Again, why should I have to pay for someone else's food?

Obviously the 100,000 dollars. It isn't fair per say that they should get tax breaks, that's fine if they are eliminated.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #185
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
The attitude of conservatives (at least me) is that why should I, as someone who earned my money, pay for someone who can't. If I can earn my money, why is it my responsibility to make sure you can earn money.

I realize you can't buy anything on food stamps, hence the almost before it. Again, why should I have to pay for someone else's food?


Sad how some people have NO concept of community or human decency. I know America is based on an individualistic mindset, but republicans are flat out greedy people who only consider themselves..


America was built by people working TOGETHER, and helping their fellow countrymen when needed.

the programs that republicans deride as 'gifts' are mostly the same programs that helped build America in during the 40's and 50's (baby boom generation)

Nowadays since new people are trying to use those same programs that helped Americans in the past, to help themselves today? Now republicans have bought into this huge lie that people make it on their own


They demonize the poor, minorities, women, and whoever else they feel they can get away with

but the good news is that GOP got slapped in the face by the American public this time

The good news is that GOP now has a price to pay for being soo disrespectful to soo many people.

They used be able to race bait and demonize without it hurting them in elections.. Well those days are over and Oreilly and all the FOX sad faced clowns are crying the blues because "traditional" America is dead

thank god

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 11-19-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #186
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is
 
Mr. I'm So Rad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edge of Despair
Posts: 12,222
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
It's not though. It's like saying that the Rolling Stones have sold more albums than someone like Cream. Sure, the Rolling Stones have sold more albums, but you'd expect that as they released more albums.

It doesn't matter how you skew it. Fact is, people always talk about minorities (specifically blacks) being the biggest beneficiaries of government assistance when white people take up the majority of it. That's (at least one thing) that makes Romney's statement idiotic.


Quote:
The attitude of conservatives (at least me) is that why should I, as someone who earned my money, pay for someone who can't. If I can earn my money, why is it my responsibility to make sure you can earn money.

It's not about you paying for someone else. It's about us as a collective and a country looking out for each other. It's not like you don't benefit from someone else's tax dollars, whether it be something like driving on a highway or calling the police. Hell, I don't like having my money taken to put a bullet in some guy's head in some country I'll never visit, but I have to. I would rather my money go towards putting food in a starving kid's mouth or giving them a place to stay than it being used to kill people, because you're going to be taxed either way. Just how the system is.

Quote:
I realize you can't buy anything on food stamps, hence the almost before it. Again, why should I have to pay for someone else's food?

Reference my previous paragraph
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #187
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is
 
Mr. I'm So Rad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edge of Despair
Posts: 12,222
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

It's just silly for people to act like they've magically made their own way. This isn't 1812 where a lot of the world has yet to be discovered. Things are already set in stone. Nowadays, you need connections. You need someone who's already gotten in to give you a helping hand to get you started. Unless you are really good at music or sports there's no such thing as starting from nothing and getting to the top (whatever you consider it to be) all by yourself.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #188
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
It's just silly for people to act like they've magically made their own way. This isn't 1812 where a lot of the world has yet to be discovered. Things are already set in stone. Nowadays, you need connections. You need someone who's already gotten in to give you a helping hand to get you started. Unless you are really good at music or sports there's no such thing as starting from nothing and getting to the top (whatever you consider it to be) all by yourself.


old saying goes: Nobody ever did anything all by themselves..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #189
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin
 
Dolphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Werewolfbottlenosedolphin
Posts: 4,100
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Gov't policies are put into place for a reason. For these policies to be retracted, there has to be evidence that not only will said retractions not be a detriment to a large portion of society, but actually benefit the people who may have benefited from the previous policies. Until someone such as Math2 can provide empirical evidence that altering certain policies will be much more beneficial to more Americans, then it's really a lost cause. They like to talk theories, but remember, a lot of these theories were put into practice long ago and yet they didn't have staying power for a reason....while other theories have never been more than that. I'd love empirical evidence that all this talk is backed by some form of hard facts that can be applied to the largest of scales, which America is.

Then again, If Math2 doesn't even care to provide such evidence because he's not concerned about the welfare of others and is truly only concerned about himself, then I'm sorry to say his only hope to live the life he wants doesn't include him living in America. lol

Many people have this myth playing in their heads of what America used to be.....it never existed. What many people are looking for may exist somewhere else in this world. I'm sure many others would be glad if those "traditionalists" went searching for it.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #190
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 12,741
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
Gov't policies are put into place for a reason. For these policies to be retracted, there has to be evidence that not only will said retractions not be a detriment to a large portion of society, but actually benefit the people who may have benefited from the previous policies. Until someone such as Math2 can provide empirical evidence that altering certain policies will be much more beneficial to more Americans, then it's really a lost cause. They like to talk theories, but remember, a lot of these theories were put into practice long ago and yet they didn't have staying power for a reason....while other theories have never been more than that. I'd love empirical evidence that all this talk is backed by some form of hard facts that can be applied to the largest of scales, which America is.

Then again, If Math2 doesn't even care to provide such evidence because he's not concerned about the welfare of others and is truly only concerned about himself, then I'm sorry to say his only hope to live the life he wants doesn't include him living in America. lol

AMEN

I don't know how much time I wasted in this thread trying to get any sort of empirical data or anything tangible that backs up any of the bullshit being spewed by certain people here. Only got theories that either have no basis in reality or have been debunked thoroughly already. But some still cling to these nonsensical, unproven, misguided regurgitated ramblings that are pushed by faux news glorified talk show hosts.

Quote:
Many people have this myth playing in their heads of what America used to be.....it never existed. What many people are looking for may exist somewhere else in this world. I'm sure many others would be glad if those "traditionalists" went searching for it.

The 'traditional America' that some of these guys envision only existed on tv shows like Leave it to Beaver. What does that even mean, really, 'traditional America'? Where do you stop the timeline on that- before or after slavery, segregation, the suffragette movement, Indigenous genocide, etc? I know a lot of these neo-secessionists' idea of the ideal 'traditional America' includes them owning Black people and their home maker, baby factory wives not having the right to vote
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #191
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Then where is your evidence that welfare programs work, and don't just redistribute the wealth? It's not that I don't approve of helping people in need, I've given to charity before, but I shouldn't have to pay taxes that go to the poor in the form of welfare. That's what charity is for, the government isn't a charity organization.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #192
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin
 
Dolphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Werewolfbottlenosedolphin
Posts: 4,100
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
Then where is your evidence that welfare programs work, and don't just redistribute the wealth? It's not that I don't approve of helping people in need, I've given to charity before, but I shouldn't have to pay taxes that go to the poor in the form of welfare. That's what charity is for, the government isn't a charity organization.

Ummm, what you want is closer to what the industrialized world saw before so-called welfare states became the norm. How did that turn out...that whole charity thing from the private sector? lol

I can absolutely agree that what we have now is not good enough for a lot of people, but you want certain things to be reversed and there is tons of empirical evidence that that would reduce the quality of life for many.

But again, what I am saying will fall on deaf ears when directed at people such as yourself....because you're not REALLY arguing that your "charity idea" is better for the nation, you're arguing it's better for yourself....and that really isn't something I can argue with nor would I want to argue national-scale policies with someone who is only focused on how it benefits themselves. A genuine, fact based debate can't happen.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #193
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
Ummm, what you want is closer to what the industrialized world saw before so-called welfare states became the norm. How did that turn out...that whole charity thing from the private sector? lol

I can absolutely agree that what we have now is not good enough for a lot of people, but you want certain things to be reversed and there is tons of empirical evidence that that would reduce the quality of life for many.

But again, what I am saying will fall on deaf ears when directed at people such as yourself....because you're not REALLY arguing that your "charity idea" is better for the nation, you're arguing it's better for yourself....and that really isn't something I can argue with nor would I want to argue national-scale policies with someone who is only focused on how it benefits themselves. A genuine, fact based debate can't happen.

Obviously it would benefit myself. I should be able to choose what I can do with my money. I would choose to give any money I would donate to the poor rather than the elderly.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #194
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin
 
Dolphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Werewolfbottlenosedolphin
Posts: 4,100
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
Obviously it would benefit myself. I should be able to choose what I can do with my money. I would choose to give any money I would donate to the poor rather than the elderly.

I bet that would reassure sooooo many Americans that you'd be soooooo kind.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #195
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,667
Default Re: Romney says Obama won by showering black, Latino & young voters with big gifts.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy