Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-30-2016, 12:26 AM   #1
highwhey
PBS Media

Default Luke Cage Tonight

highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:39 AM   #2
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Re: Luke Cage Tonight

Starts in 21 minutes
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 AM   #3
LongLiveTheKing
Top 3 Family

It's lit!
LongLiveTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
highwhey
PBS Media

THE first couple of minutes of basketball talk, and the "king james is the truth" had me. i'm a fan

Last edited by highwhey : 09-30-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:09 AM   #5
insidehoops
Administrator

Very first dialog in episode 1 is Knicks talk
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:40 AM   #6
EricGordon23
Great college starter

Anyone finish this yet?
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Finished it a few days ago.

Mike Colter was probably the weakest performance of the bunch. He's got the Ultimate Luke Cage look down pat but he doesn't look at all comfortable in the action sequences and the ones that aren't cut with tons of fast editing just look awful. His performances just felt...awkward.

Misty, Cottonmouth, Mariah and Shades were all excellent. Diamondback was f*cking insane.

Ending felt like a complete left turn from how I felt the series was building. I finished it feeling like nothing had really been resolved at all.

Whereas Daredevil feels like its continuing to build towards some greater threat that will necessitate the formation of The Defenders, I can't say that Jessica Jones or Luke Cage really feel like they're on the same track. Both are thematically nowhere close to that, dealing with intricate and deeply personal storylines for the characters in their own little self-contained corners of NYC.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
highwhey
PBS Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
Finished it a few days ago.

Mike Colter was probably the weakest performance of the bunch. He's got the Ultimate Luke Cage look down pat but he doesn't look at all comfortable in the action sequences and the ones that aren't cut with tons of fast editing just look awful. His performances just felt...awkward.

Misty, Cottonmouth, Mariah and Shades were all excellent. Diamondback was f*cking insane.

Ending felt like a complete left turn from how I felt the series was building. I finished it feeling like nothing had really been resolved at all.

Whereas Daredevil feels like its continuing to build towards some greater threat that will necessitate the formation of The Defenders, I can't say that Jessica Jones or Luke Cage really feel like they're on the same track. Both are thematically nowhere close to that, dealing with intricate and deeply personal storylines for the characters in their own little self-contained corners of NYC.
For me, shades felt like he was overreaching with his acting. He just doesn't have the suave factor that he attempted to display whenever he took his shades off. I will agree though, diamondback was great and the ending was unsatisfying.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
Facepalm
High School Varsity 6th Man

Loved Cottonmouth, he has a charisma and presence. I wish they didn't kill him off, but I certainly didn't see his death coming. I love that he (and his cousin) weren't simple one note villains.

Diamondback annoyed me though. He was a poor man's Samuel L Jackson. He even looked like SLJ. He was too one dimensional and honestly, his motivation was pretty stupid.

I loved how "black" the show was, without needing to try too hard and hitting you over the head with it. I like how they addressed real life issues such as gentrification, the "n" word, BLM, etc.

The easter eggs and cameos were great. Loved the call back to Cage's tacky 70's tiara and yellow silk shirt costume.

Cage himself was a bit weak though. I really wish Terry Crews got that part. He has much more personality.

Did anyone else think kimbo slice during Cage's fight club flashbacks?
Facepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
For me, shades felt like he was overreaching with his acting. He just doesn't have the suave factor that he attempted to display whenever he took his shades off. I will agree though, diamondback was great and the ending was unsatisfying.
I didn't get suave from Shades. I think it was more menacing than anything else, but you're right in that he was reaching. His delivery was strange...atonal, stuttered.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #11
highwhey
PBS Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
I didn't get suave from Shades. I think it was more menacing than anything else, but you're right in that he was reaching. His delivery was strange...atonal, stuttered.
Maybe suave isn't the correct word (i have problems expressing myself at times), but yes, he was trying to act/deliver something that simply wasn't in his spectrum.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
CelticBaller
You mad?

I liked it, though the last fight was kind of underwhelming.

Mariah will definitely be the big bad for S2 and I think its going to be Heroes for hire
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
Facepalm
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
I liked it, though the last fight was kind of underwhelming.

Mariah will definitely be the big bad for S2 and I think its going to be Heroes for hire
The barber shop is going to be the Heroes for hire office. They telegraphed it.
Facepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facepalm
The barber shop is going to be the Heroes for hire office. They telegraphed it.
Totally. There allusions to it all over the place. The Iron Fist series is going to help lead into it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: