Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #361
andremiller07
#Quincy Acy Bandwagon
 
andremiller07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vivek's daughter's home
Posts: 5,945
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
They weren't calling the same fouls though. Knicks were getting manhandled, and the refs didn't blow the whistle. They called a ticky tack foul on Melo when Gasol backed him up, and their arms got locked up.

Again, I am not saying Memphis got a gift win. I am saying they didn't allow the Knicks to even have a chance to compete. Even if the game was called even, Memphis probably still would have won.

O ok fair enough i see your point, one thing i really didn't agree with was that horrible flagrent call on JR Smith when he tried to swat Tony Allen that was a joke, he was making a play at the ball and Allen simply elevated to quick. The Knicks in terms of composure tho looked like the Kings tonight arguing every single call and getting techs
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #362
Droid101
NBA All-star
 
Droid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 9,043
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Not much you can do when they call touch fouls on defense but allow you to get abused when you're on offense. By the end of the 3rd Melo, Tyson, and Sheed all had around 5 fouls.

Don't act like NBA refs aren't notorious for bad officiating.
Shut the **** up. Seriously. I watched this game and you're being a homer. The officiating was equal... problem was, the Knicks decided to bitch about it being called 'touchy.' The Grizzlies decided to use it to their advantage.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #363
imdaman99
Knicks all da way
 
imdaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,285
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrizzle
cool story. Im focusing on the bobcats, then the nuggets. I suggest you just worry about the next game on the schedule as well.
whats there to worry about? all the amount of worrying us fans do, will have 0 outcome on the games
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #364
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 15,759
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrizzle
just call a spade a spade. I dont make excuses when my team loses. the knicks lost because of match ups, not officiating. Memphis got more foul calls because they continually fed the post with inferior players defending them. On top of that they whined that they were getting called for said fouls. Big market team expects to get all the calls over small market team.
Look. Nobody says Knicks were a better team and lost because of officiating.
But the fact is that officials did help you out. If not for them we would have probably seen a close game that could go either way.

Woodson was the main reason why the Knicks lost tonight. His coaching has been great but tonight I disagree with almost every move he made.
Why did he continue to play small ball even after it was evident that it hurts us a lot ? Grizzlies were killing us on the glass and our players picked up a huge amount of fouls because of that.

Grizzlies had a better gameplan and would've still probably won. But the refs made sure that happens.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #365
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro
 
Y2Gezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In hell when Im on ISH
Posts: 4,606
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
well its still a great start to the season. 6-1. Not too shabby. Good game Grizz fans, but to be totally honest, was that some crazy homecooking or what? That 3rd qtr was just

Melo guarding Gasol was laughable. Dude had no chance whatsoever. This was a shitty game overall.

Anyhow, on to the next.

That was a fun game to watch seriously.

I think Woodson's taking a lot of flak here that's sorta undeserved. Only thing I'd have liked to see would've been the Knicks running more in transition to exploit the speed advantages of Melo and even Tyson over the Grizzlies.

I don't know what's going on with Camby, and why he hasn't seen the court in these 2 games (people thought he was getting saved for). But I don't think the size advantage over Melo was as big an issue as people make it out to be.

Melo did guard Gasol for the most part. The only time he was really man handled was off of a transition post up where he pinned Melo under the basket and turned for a shot. Other than that, I'd say Melo forced him away a lot. Gasol got a basket by man handling Tyson for an offensive board putback, scored a couple times on Sheed and then Tyson in the first half, had a long range jumper vs no one. Gasol then had a 12pt 3rd period, a period where Melo was out from the 9+ minute mark due to a couple BS fouls. And that's where the game was lost.

the Knicks offense looked lost in the 3rd period without Carmelo during that run. And without Carmelo, there's nothing to truly initiate the offense from except for Felton Pick and rolls with chandler. Which is exactly why they need Amare Stoudemire. There is no true second option on this team without Amare., as JR and Felton are 3rd options at best. Where as Amare is even a high quality 1st option that would've fit right into this game where they needed size.

But if there was no foul trouble in regards to Melo, I think the Knicks would've been right in that game with a chance to win it in the 4th. He had a pretty good 1st half, and had the biggest mismatches in the game to exploit when they switched the bigs onto him.

Overall though, the Grizzlies ended up out rebounding the Knicks by 1, and 2 more offensive boards. And IMO the person that was manhandled the most was Tyson Chandler. But it was a hard fought game, where an early frustrating 3rd quarter took the Knicks out.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #366
chazzy
NBA All-star
 
chazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 9,987
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

I've never liked Ed Malloy..
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #367
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 15,759
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
I've never liked Ed Malloy..
His name just sounds corrupted.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #368
zac
Local High School Star
 
zac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 1,482
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

I was at this game and this was my take away.

The only reason the fouls started getting out of hand was for a couple of reason, one is the Grizzlies love to play in the paint and playing down low obviously results in more fouls, especially when teams try to play small against them. The other reason was JR Smiths dumb elbow to Bayless at the end of the 2nd. I love that Bayless doesn't back down to anyone but because of plays like that, and what happened with Z-bo getting ejected the other night, I think at halftime they decided to call the game very tight from then on out so it didn't get out of hand. That benefitted the Grizzlies going back to my first point about match ups. Carmelo and Ronnie Brewer (listed as the starting PF in the official game guide) are not able to guard Z-bo or Gasol. The Heat tried to play small against the Grizzlies too and got blown out by 20. There were some suspect calls on both ends but not being able to match up, then complaining about every call, then pulling the dumb elbow/flagrant fouls did not help them out in the refs eyes.


Great game though, I've never been to a game that the Grizzlies lost including the playoffs. I'm 99% sure it's because I wear my Who's Your Haddadi? shirt to every one.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #369
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 16,865
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

IMO, best game of the season so far.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #370
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 15,759
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
IMO, best game of the season so far.
Maybe the first half. Refs completely ruined the game in the 3rd quarter.
Spurs-Knicks game on Thursday was much better overall. This one was pretty much over with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #371
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports
 
All Net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 21,535
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
IMO, best game of the season so far.

Been plenty of games better than this. The result was never in doubt once the 3rd quarter came.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #372
RoundMoundOfReb
Top 1 Basketball Mind
 
RoundMoundOfReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
IMO, best game of the season so far.
denver @ miami so far imo.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #373
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 15,759
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Best game I've watched this season is probably Spurs-Thunder game where Parker hit a game winner.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #374
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro
 
Y2Gezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In hell when Im on ISH
Posts: 4,606
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
IMO, best game of the season so far.

Haters gone hate
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #375
#1SportsFan86
Mavs All Day
 
#1SportsFan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 912
Default Re: New York Knicks (6-0) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (6-1), 9:30 PM EST, ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
I've never liked Ed Malloy..

Wait wasn't he on ref in game 1 of the Knicks vs. Heat series last season where the Heat was getting all the calls?...
#1SportsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy