Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
tikay0
Banned

tikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong waytikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Rudy Gay vs. Luol Deng

Whose better, and if you switched their teams, who would have more success?
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rudy Gay vs. Luol Deng

Gay all the way.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Deng is still the better player. Gay may have more upside, but he hasn't put it together and been better than Deng yet.

Deng is also a pretty talented guy. He does a bit of everything. He can shoot, is a solid scorer and knows how to work with his offense. He's not Pippen, but he does a lot of little things, is a very good rebounder and one of the best defenders in the league.

Gay is a scorer. He's really a 2guard who has no handles. He's a good shooter from midrange and is has athleticism. But his game is not very refined and, while he has some skills, I never have the impression that he's worked on anything. And in this offense, there's no doubt that he isn't as valuable as Deng.

Come to think of it, would be a good trade...assuming Gay could play with Rose when Rose comes back...so maybe not.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Deng isnt even a better player than Evan Turner. How is he better than Rudy Gay?

-iCrackMyselfUp
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
tikay0
Banned

tikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong waytikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Deng isnt even a better player than Evan Turner. How is he better than Rudy Gay?

-iCrackMyselfUp

I wouldn't go that far, but I believe Gay would be better for the Bulls.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
tikay0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Deng is still the better player. Gay may have more upside, but he hasn't put it together and been better than Deng yet.

Deng is also a pretty talented guy. He does a bit of everything. He can shoot, is a solid scorer and knows how to work with his offense. He's not Pippen, but he does a lot of little things, is a very good rebounder and one of the best defenders in the league.

Gay is a scorer. He's really a 2guard who has no handles. He's a good shooter from midrange and is has athleticism. But his game is not very refined and, while he has some skills, I never have the impression that he's worked on anything. And in this offense, there's no doubt that he isn't as valuable as Deng.

Come to think of it, would be a good trade...assuming Gay could play with Rose when Rose comes back...so maybe not.

If you compare Gay's handles to Deng's. He's like a prime Rod Strickland.....
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
kshutts1
Decent college freshman

kshutts1 is considered somewhat coolkshutts1 is considered somewhat cool

Gay is a better fit for the Bulls, as he's a better scorer/shooter than Deng, and the Bulls definitely need additional scoring.

As for the Grizzlies, they are short on 3point shooting as it is, so they'd also lose out in the trade.

If both teams would do better with the same player, typically that player is better... but I think Deng is the better third + option, while Gay is the better second option.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Chicago Brawls
Great young streetballer

Chicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected posterChicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected posterChicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected posterChicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected poster

Deciding between Gay and Dong is a wash.
Chicago Brawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikay0
If you compare Gay's handles to Deng's. He's like a prime Rod Strickland.....

Maybe, but Deng doesn't dribble. Gay loves to dribble enough to show us how much he wishes he could dribble so that he could play SG.

BTW, Rod Strickland was an odd choice...he always looked like he didn't know how to dribble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
Gay is a better fit for the Bulls, as he's a better scorer/shooter than Deng, and the Bulls definitely need additional scoring.

As for the Grizzlies, they are short on 3point shooting as it is, so they'd also lose out in the trade.

If both teams would do better with the same player, typically that player is better... but I think Deng is the better third + option, while Gay is the better second option.

Gay is not any better a shooter than Deng.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
tikay0
Banned

Quote:
Maybe, but Deng doesn't dribble. Gay loves to dribble enough to show us how much he wishes he could dribble so that he could play SG.

BTW, Rod Strickland was an odd choice...he always looked like he didn't know how to dribble.

Gay is not any better a shooter than Deng.

LMAO. Gay can create his own shot. Deng can't. His handles are much better than Deng's. The difference in their handles is night and day.

Deng doesn't dribble, because he can't dribble. Evident by the ECF against the Heat. Playing hot potato between him and Korver, because they couldn't dribble out of a trap, or make a decisive move to get a jumper off. That's how bad his handles are.

Last edited by tikay0 : 11-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
lilgodfather1
Wait and See

lilgodfather1 has decent reputationlilgodfather1 has decent reputation

I think both teams would be better assuming good health.

Gay is a player that likes to create his own offense, which on the Bulls is sorely needed because other than Rose nobody can.

Memphis doesn't have a ton of offensive creators either, but given the make up of their team seems to be inside out Deng's ability to catch and shoot would likely be better utilized in Memphis. Also Deng is a better defender than Gay, which would give them a fantastic defensive duo on the wings to bother teams.

As for which player I think is better, tbh i'd call it about as close to a wash as any two players in the NBA. Both have great games, but they are different players with different roles.
lilgodfather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
LMAO. Gay can create his own shot. Deng can't. His handles are much better than Deng's. The difference in their handles is night and day.

Deng doesn't dribble, because he can't dribble. Evident by the ECF against the Heat. Playing hot potato between him and Korver, because they couldn't dribble out of a trap, or make a decisive move to get a jumper off. That's how bad his handles are.

I'm not arguing that. What I'm saying is that it isn't an issue because he never does. He knows his game and doesn't put himself in that position.

Rudy can get his own shot because he's a scorer and he's also a great athlete. But him getting his own shot is like taking a bad shot because you made one before. He's just gonna do it again and he's gonna overdribble and his handles are not any good. He's a better ball-handler than Deng, but he's not good enough to always be dribbling. He should put himself in spots.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
tikay0
Banned

Quote:
I'm not arguing that. What I'm saying is that it isn't an issue because he never does. He knows his game and doesn't put himself in that position.

Rudy can get his own shot because he's a scorer and he's also a great athlete. But him getting his own shot is like taking a bad shot because you made one before. He's just gonna do it again and he's gonna overdribble and his handles are not any good. He's a better ball-handler than Deng, but he's not good enough to always be dribbling. He should put himself in spots.

Exactly. Gay is a better ball handler, thus a player that can take pressure off rose.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Exactly. Gay is a better ball handler, thus a player that can take pressure off rose.

I think it's arguable that he's a better fit (and I think Deng is most certainly a better fit on Memphis). But my question is would he mess with the ball movement in Chicago.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
tikay0
Banned

Quote:
I think it's arguable that he's a better fit (and I think Deng is most certainly a better fit on Memphis). But my question is would he mess with the ball movement in Chicago.

Ball movement doesn't work in the playoffs. Not against the Heat, and not with our personnel. You need 2 or more shot creators in the playoffs.

We should have kept Korver and Watson. Our spacing is going to be HORRIBLE, once Rose comes back. Hopefully his 3 is crazy efficient, because we're definitely going to need it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: