Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board
Default R.I.P. Hostess bakery

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news...stess-closing/

dang, now where am i gonna get my ho ho's fix? and how we gon' snack when the zombie apocalypse arrive?

nah, but seriously, i feel for the familys that will be affected. union strike: when keep it real goes wrong. oh and them fat kids gon' be maaad...

Last edited by Bucket_Nakedz : 11-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: R.I.P. Hostess bakery

I'm sure another corporation will buy Hostess. It's too big of a brand to just disappear.
bagelred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If they completely disappear it's a sad day for the economy and the jobs lost but food like they produce is the reason why diabetes is exploding.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
I'm sure another corporation will buy Hostess. It's too big of a brand to just disappear.
No, they are selling off the individual properties already. So Hostess is dead, albeit you probably will get Twinkies, etc. I don't think anyone is buying Hostess in total.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If they completely disappear it's a sad day for the economy and the jobs lost but food like they produce is the reason why diabetes is exploding.
They've been pretty expensive the past few years. $1.29 for a pack of Twinkies. No thanks. Their competition has been slowly putting them out of business with better prices.
Tarik One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Interesting, the fight that happened between the Teamsters and the bakers union. If the Teamsters had had their way, Hostess would have survived. Not sure the spirit of Jimmy Hoffa would have approved, but interesting...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

More and more household American names dieing out
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

Let's all blame Obama.

Time to secede
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The $700 million in debt is what killed Hostess. Their hedge fund managers hollowed out the company, and used the cash to purchase their next victim. When Hostess couldn't make their loan payment, it was up to the employees to pony up the difference. The owners had already made their loot.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
The $700 million in debt is what killed Hostess. Their hedge fund managers hollowed out the company, and used the cash to purchase their next victim. When Hostess couldn't make their loan payment, it was up to the employees to pony up the difference. The owners had already made their loot.
Not only that, but it's a bad business when what 36% of Americans are obese and another 30% are overweight but not obese a huge junk food company can't stay in business.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Any idea what made Hostess prey to that in the first place? Can we expect the same thing to happen to more high-profile companys?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Any idea what made Hostess prey to that in the first place? Can we expect the same thing to happen to more high-profile companys?
This is from Wikipedia, so grain of salt and all that:

When extended-shelf-life enzymes were developed for bread, the hope was to convert the system of many small inefficient bakeries into an efficient network of a relatively few giant bakeries like their snack cakes operation. However, the recipe using the new enzymes caused the bread to have a different taste and texture,[10] and other market forces like a resurrection of the Atkins diet and competitor Krispy Kreme doughnuts affected pricing and sales volume.
Quote:
2004 Bankruptcy

On September 22, 2004, Interstate Bakeries filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The company also named a new chief executive, Tony Alvarez. Interstate Bakery's stock, which had been at one time $34/share, fell to $2.05/share as they declared bankruptcy. At the time it was the longest bankruptcy in U.S. history. During bankruptcy, Interstate fought a 2007 bid from Mexican baked goods giant Grupo Bimbo and Ron Burkle of the Yucaipa Companies. [11]

With the leadership of Craig Jung, the company emerged from bankruptcy as a private company on February 3, 2009.[12] The plan included a 50 percent equity stake by Ripplewood Holdings and lines/loans by General Electric Capital and GE Capital Markets, Silver Point Finance and Monarch Master Funding. Interstate's union workers made contract concessions in exchange for equity.[13]

During the 2004-2009 bankruptcy period, Interstate closed nine of its 54 bakeries and more than 300 outlet stores. Interstate's work force declined from 32,000 to 22,000 employees. The company also dropped some regional brands and operating agreements, such as the agreement to produce Sunbeam Bread for the northeastern U.S. (now produced by LePage Bakeries of Auburn, Maine)..[13]
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
gigantes
A piece of fluff

doh... you sounded like such a financial guru in the first post. :P

Quote:
However, the recipe using the new enzymes caused the bread to have a different taste and texture,[10] and other market forces like a resurrection of the Atkins diet and competitor Krispy Kreme doughnuts affected pricing and sales volume.
still sounds kind of strange, like rose was saying. i mean, atkins? that's popular but still not much bigger than a fringe diet. krispy kreme? seems like a fairly different niche. i mean, having the urge for a twinkie or for some kruellers is a very different thing. enzyme and yeast problems...? they've had plenty of time to work that out and fine-tune the product.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

When twinkies were first made in the 60's or whatever, they were made with real ingredients like eggs, butter etc. Now they use chemicals and stabilizers to extend the shelf life. Among it's ingredients are products from petroleum. Yes...petroleum.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Wally450
A Paul Heyman Guy

Wally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputation

My Devil Dogs and Hostess cupcakes, noooo!!!
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: