Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #211
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation
Default Re: The official Raptors basketball game thread

This was one of the only games I missed all season and Demar hits a gamewinner
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #212
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

LOL, I know right? me too. But that shot is the exact type of shot i've been saying he should take in end of game situations. That's Rudy Gay's pet move. Just dribble to your spot and do a simple fade. Anytime Demar has been in that situation before he's done too much dribbling as if he's Kobe Bryant.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #213
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan

Anyone know what that means ?
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #214
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Anyone know what that means ?

straight out of compton
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #215
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Daggar shot by Irving, that stung. On the other hand, any late game scenario we look completely lost. Great shot last night by DD but can we count on him to do that night in and night out like an Irving or a Kobe or a Bron or a true star guard? Probably not. And having a coach who doesn't know what he's doing at the end of a close game doesn't help either.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #216
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

To add, I don't know what the hell Alan Anderson was doing backing up so much. When he held the ball that long you obviously know he's going for a game winner. You want anyone but him to win that game. And if it has to be him you gotta be close enough to get your hand right up in his face and make it difficult. That was essentially a wide open pull up from the middle of the floor.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #217
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Some specific posters always seem to disagree with me on this subject. Tabak had a list earlier in the year of all of these late game losses by a couple of points and there was a lot then, and there's a lot more now. Yeah, the players have to perform but i'd say even with this roster with a coach like say Greg Popovic we'd win at least half of those games if not more.

Last nights game. You go into the timeout up by 2 points with the other team having the ball and a little over 10 seconds to play. This is what I would expect Casey to say.

1. Get the ball out of Irving's hand, we want anyone but him to win the game for them. They made no effort to do that and had Alan Anderson on him one on one. Wow, just wow.

2. NO 3's!! Run whoever off the 3 point line, you do not want them to get a walk off 3. This play is a carbon copy of what Jeremy Lin did to us last year. You can't get beaten the exact same way over and over if you're actually given the proper coaching on your defensive schemes in those situations.

3. No fouls. But if you must foul don't let it be on the 3 point line and don't let them get the shot up.

those are some basic principles. So unless i'm to believe all those guys are brainless, i think a lot of the blame falls on the coach for just simply not knowing what he's doing.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #218
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Some specific posters always seem to disagree with me on this subject. Tabak had a list earlier in the year of all of these late game losses by a couple of points and there was a lot then, and there's a lot more now. Yeah, the players have to perform but i'd say even with this roster with a coach like say Greg Popovic we'd win at least half of those games if not more.

Last nights game. You go into the timeout up by 2 points with the other team having the ball and a little over 10 seconds to play. This is what I would expect Casey to say.

1. Get the ball out of Irving's hand, we want anyone but him to win the game for them. They made no effort to do that and had Alan Anderson on him one on one. Wow, just wow.

2. NO 3's!! Run whoever off the 3 point line, you do not want them to get a walk off 3. This play is a carbon copy of what Jeremy Lin did to us last year. You can't get beaten the exact same way over and over if you're actually given the proper coaching on your defensive schemes in those situations.

3. No fouls. But if you must foul don't let it be on the 3 point line and don't let them get the shot up.

those are some basic principles. So unless i'm to believe all those guys are brainless, i think a lot of the blame falls on the coach for just simply not knowing what he's doing.

I don't know...
I'm more pissed that they blew the 11 point lead in the 4th. Again this could have been addressed by better player rotations and timeouts.

That 3 though? Irving has ice in his veins. It's so funny that before the game the tv crew was hyping demar's game winner as though it was a championship game he won for us. Like hitting one game winner is going to turn his entire career around. It was such a joke. I cringe thinking about someone from chicago watching that pregame show and being like "how many years have you guys had a franchise?"
Meanwhile this was irving's 5th game winning shot in under 2 years!

The other thing about that shot was that it was very unconventional. Normally with 10 seconds on the clock you don't run the clock down for one final shot. You should try to score quickly to give an opportunity for a second chance.

He also took that shot from WAY out. I think Anderson was anticipating a pick and roll (and you could see him looking over his shoulder so maybe a cavalier yelled out pick right to confuse him). That would be the standard play with 10 seconds left when you are down by 2. And then he was probably thinking even if he does take the shot he is going to take a couple steps in first.

Sh.t loss, but what can you do when your team sucks.

The cavs on the other hand have built the right way. They tanked for 3 years after losing their star and picked up solid pieces in the draft (even though I don't agree with the picks they made, they are all solid pieces) and will likely get another top pick this year. BC should take notes.

Last edited by bluerap : 01-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #219
bokes15
Playoffs!

I agree that it was a quick deep 3 but even a guy with lightning quick speed can't make it from 2 feet back of the 3 point line to the basket in less than 3 seconds with obstruction and a guy in front of him. I think the length of time he held the ball and where he was standing was a clear enough indication of what he was gonna do. As for giving up leads well, not to give excuses but look at our depth and talent level. That said as always rotations, sub patterns and timeouts could be better served. It would also help to have a real center out there.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #220
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Looking forward to Rudy's first game as a raptor tonight.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #221
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
Looking forward to Rudy's first game as a raptor tonight.
He doesn't play till Sunday.
edit: Nvm I jus saw the update that he's gonna play. Nice
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #222
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
He doesn't play till Sunday.

Hes playing tonight, its already been confirmed. I'm still not sure about Val/Bargs though.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #223
bokes15
Playoffs!

Watching Gay out there, he reminds me of a prime Vince Carter. In the way that he has so much talent but he doesn't look like he's expending any effort. Not that he's not giving an effort, but he just makes it look effortless. Oh well, may not have been the best of moves but he is gonna be exciting, no doubt about that.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #224
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Watching Gay out there, he reminds me of a prime Vince Carter. In the way that he has so much talent but he doesn't look like he's expending any effort. Not that he's not giving an effort, but he just makes it look effortless. Oh well, may not have been the best of moves but he is gonna be exciting, no doubt about that.

It changes nothing about how I feel about the deal but I 'd be lying if I said that I didn' t jump out my chair with those alley-oops.

I hope this deal somehow works out for us even if I doubt it will ultimately. Hey, as I heard someone on the fan put it, Memphis just put their team together without tanking so maybe we can do something similar. I just hope this move doesn't mean BC will be the guy trying.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #225
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
It changes nothing about how I feel about the deal but I 'd be lying if I said that I didn' t jump out my chair with those alley-oops.

I hope this deal somehow works out for us even if I doubt it will ultimately. Hey, as I heard someone on the fan put it, Memphis just put their team together without tanking so maybe we can do something similar. I just hope this move doesn't mean BC will be the guy trying.
That's the biggest issue for me. Had another GM made the exact same move, I might have some of the same questions about it that I do about this one, but i'd probably say to myself "well, he probably has an overall vision of what he's gonna do with this team next, and i'll wait to see all the totality of what moves he's gonna make before I rush to judgement." But with BC we all know it was just a matter of, the first big name guy available to us we snag him. Whether it be Gay or Gasol (it probably could've been Gasol if they were more willing to let go of him). It'll put more fans in those seats and may result in a few more wins, so BC did what he set out to do, line himself up for a new contract. I can only hope that one day all the random pieces he throws together magically become a contender but I doubt it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: