Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #256
T-Low
College superstar

Default Re: The official Raptors basketball game thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
If it were my decision, I'd have a simple rule for Bargnani- if you don't get 2 rebounds in this quarter (which should be easy, right?), you're not playing in the next one, no matter what else you do. Probably wouldn't motivate him, nothing does, but at least it would limit his playing time.

Whoa...one step at a time!
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #257
DJMason
High School JV MVP

What a shocker: Val gets some first quarter minutes and massively outplays Gray. Casey is an ass.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #258
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Val in beast mode and I'd rather play 4 people than have Lucas on the floor. Just terrible.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #259
DJMason
High School JV MVP

In other news: Hansborough can eat a d!ck. Val has more talent in his injured hand than he has in his whole body.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #260
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Ladies and gentlemen, we finally have something this team has been STARVING for. A closer!! A dude who can be playing like shit all night and then still put the team on his back come winning time and find a way to get the W. Rudy Gay = Superman!
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #261
Beebo
Good college starter

Rudy ****ing gay
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #262
DJMason
High School JV MVP

For tonight the Rudy Gay trade is the greatest move BC has ever made. Still kinda effs us for the future but damn it's nice to watch someone with ice in their veins play for us. Great stuff.

Too bad Acy wasn't sent out there to spread Hans' brain matter on the court. My only issue with the win.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #263
missionman
I airball my layups

should i be amazed that gay had the presence of mind to chase down his(?) man, steal the ball, and pass the ball before committing the over-and-back violation at the end of the 4th quarter?

Just curious, but was that his man that he chased down, and hence, was he just doing his job by chasing down that guy on the home run pass? i was watching the replays and it seemed like he was the only guy conscious of that home run pass - i liked that he worked hard to run that guy down, and again, make the play to amir.

still, that's what good players and teams do - find ways to win.

love for amir.
missionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #264
missionman
I airball my layups

i should add that gay sort of blew it at the end of OT when he overcommitted on George- he's lucky george didn't get that last shot in to tie it. Gay knew it too.
missionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #265
bokes15
Playoffs!

Wow does it ever feel nice to steal a game instead of being on the losing end of these types of games as we have been soooo many times this year. We were an Amir Johnson buzzer beating putback away from adding this to the "5 points or less" losses category which we are currently in 2nd place there. Rudy didn't have a perfect game obviously but 17 of his 23 in the 4th and OT + the game winner, can't hate on that, nobody's perfect and we wouldn't have won without him. Clearly.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #266
Beebo
Good college starter

Also want to give props to Casey; he gave JV and Ross minutes today and finally benched AA!!

Last edited by Beebo : 02-09-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #267
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

I think if anyone should have their minutes cut it's JL. I didn't understand the Gray/JL lineup being out there so long late in the 4th while we were giving up the lead. We didn't win because of Casey's late game play calling, we won in spite of it. I mean let's be honest, we haven't had this miraculous of a win since the Mo-Pete/Ruffin incident, except this one even luckier. Late game down 4 we run a play for Amir Johnson who misses badly and gets a putback. Bonehead pass by David West, steal by Rudy Gay and another miracle horrible miss and putback within milliseconds of not counting by AJ. Then an OT dagger by Rudy. We won, but this is just chalked up to "one of those games." Definitely shouldn't have won but it felt nice having a closer with the ball in his hands in OT. I'd say if DD (who was our closer by default before Gay got here) took 100 of those shots he might make 3 or 4 of them. Rudy is a shot maker.

edit: Forgot, I LOVED seeing the trashtalking and bodying up going on between Bargs and Hibbert. I know Bargs is pretty much playing like an audition for a new team but I think lately he's just been an edgier player, plays with more of a chip on his shoulder in general and doesn't let anyone punk him around. I also think for all the talk around here about him not being able to handle a bench role, he's actually been handling it quite well.

Last edited by lilbeastnani : 02-09-2013 at 03:04 PM.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #268
bokes15
Playoffs!

Not that 'm defending Casey and as a matter of fact i'm not, I don't want him as our coach, but just noting out that neither of those were play calls for Amir. If i remember correctly, the first Amir putback was a rebound of a Gay miss. And the second wasn't a playcall at all. Rudy got that lucky steal off the bad inbounds pass by West and then Amir had it with just a few seconds left on the clock. He said in the post game interview that he initially wanted to dish it to Rudy or someone else but nobody was open so he just kind of threw it up quick and anticipated the bounce so he could get the rebound. Heady play by Amir down the stretch.

It was interesting though that Val kind of took a sutble shot at Casey when the reporters were asking him why he hasn't been getting many minutes and he was like I don't know but i'm hungry. As has been said, an out of condition Val with a f*cked up hand is better than a fully functioning Aaron Gray any day of the week. The only time i'd really understand benching Val is late in games since he'll always pick up cheap fouls. But other than that, let the kid play and earn his stripes.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #269
bokes15
Playoffs!

Thoughts on tonights game:
1. FINALLY JV is back in the starting lineup. I was honestly starting to believe that Casey was gonna keep Aaron Gray as the starter for the remainder of the season. He started, played 34 mins, picked up a double double and was generally tough in the paint. Fouls with him are still an issue. Some because of rookie phantom fouls but some because of how hard and aggressively he plays. He needs to pick up some of those Tim Duncan fundamentals, but anyways as I always say still early. He has potential and he definitely has the desire.

2. John Lucas. Great game tonight, i'll give hiim credit for that. But what he is, is a shorter, maybe slightly faster version of Eddie House. He can do one thing and one thing only, shoot the basketball, and if that shot isn't dropping he's a liability. Now an Eddie House type of player can be utilized on the right type of team but ours isn't it. He's that guy who should get 10 minutes off the bench and just jack up shots for instant offense. I've noticed an increasing trend where Casey is giving him extended 4th quarter mintues. Paid off today against a below average opponent that left him open most of the night and didn't choose to expose his defense on the other end of the floor but on other nights it has cost us big time, and more often than not that's what giving him 8-10 minutes in the 4th quarter is gonna do. We still need a backup point.

3. Aaron Gray playing 2 minutes tonight, well done. He should only be in the game for a short time to use his 6 hard fouls.

4. Ross once again as I said in the other thread has benefited the least from the Gay trade. 8 mins tonight, 1 shot, no points. Hasn't been a factor since the trade.

5. Good night for Lowry, definitely should've played more 4th quarter minutes.

6. Another one of "those" nights for Gay. Had his moments here and there but came through when needed.

7. Derozan... I don't know about the dude. I know he doesn't get all the calls he should but when he lets it get to him he can get taken out of a game mentally. What he needs to do is be more forceful. I can't believe i'm using a Matt Devlin quote but the last game he said he noticed that DD runs towards the contact and then kind of fades away rather than attacking and trying to posterize people. I dunno, I think Ross needs more minutes and Derozan needs to be traded. I think Ross is kind of passive because now Rudy is the big shot and DD is that 2nd guy.

7. Amir Johnson has become our Udonis Haslem. Minus the consistent midrange game but everything else. Quiet leader, brings it every night, you can always count on him, plays tough D, has developed quite the inside passing game, and for the most part knows how to pick and choose his spots on the offensive end. Can't say enough good things about him, love the guy.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #270
Beebo
Good college starter

Default Re: The official Raptors basketball 2012-13 game thread

Ugly game but a win is a win.

And there was a stretch in the 3rd where it looked like a YMCA game. Both teams were turning the ball over like it was going out of fashion
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: