Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #31
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: who will win ROY this year? and DROY?

People're sleeping on Jerrell Freeman for DROY.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #32
GP_20
Glove

Russell Wilson is the best rookie quarterback in the NFL. He may not win ROY because he lacks hype like Luck and RG III, but there is no doubt he is better than both.
GP_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #33
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_20
Russell Wilson is the best rookie quarterback in the NFL. He may not win ROY because he lacks hype like Luck and RG III, but there is no doubt he is better than both.

Mmmmm, no.

If you took the best defenders at each position from the Skins and Colts combined, they still wouldn't be as good as Seattle's D. Wilson's also got the best RB of all three teams helping him out. I'm not trying to disrespect Wilson but there's no way he'd have all those wins if he were on the Redskins or Colts or the same that RG3 and Luck do IMO.

Last edited by QUIZZLE : 12-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #34
DuMa
Canned

Luck won it already. But i think RG3 will have the better career
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #35
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Russell Wilson has been great, esp for a rookie

honestly, I don't even see an argument for Luck over Wilson...he deserves to be in the mix every bit as much as Luck does

there IS SOOOOO MUCH HYPE around RG3 and Luck that Wilson is just invisible...it's a shame

Luck actually leads the NFL in INTs right now btw...I know the Colts are winning (so are the Seahawks) but RG3 is blowing Luck out of the water stat wise, it isn't even close.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #36
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Robert Griffin III: 67.4% 2,497 yds, 16 TDs, 4 INTs, 104.6 passer rating
(a shit ton of rushing stats as well)

Russell Wilson: 63.4% 2,344 yds, 19 TDs, 8 INTs, 95.2 passer rating

Andrew Luck: 55.5% 3,596 yds, 17 TDs, 16 INTs, 76.1 passer rating

If Luck wins this award IMO it will be primarily because of hype...he is becoming overrated, being viewed as "elite" when he isn't playing like that at all.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #37
GP_20
Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
Mmmmm, no.

If you took the best defenders at each position from the Skins and Colts combined, they still wouldn't be as good as Seattle's D. Wilson's also got the best RB of all three teams helping him out. I'm not trying to disrespect Wilson but there's no way he'd have all those wins if he were on the Redskins or Colts or the same that RG3 and Luck do IMO.

Why don't you just look at their individual QB stats then? Luck's are way worse than Wilson's. Now each team's defense doesn't depend on that does it?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #38
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

If RG3 was just on a winning team he would have a shot at ROY and MVP as well...he is playing as good as any QB in the league is...Brady, Rodgers, anyone
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #39
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_20
Why don't you just look at their individual QB stats then? Luck's are way worse than Wilson's. Now each team's defense doesn't depend on that does it?

Well I mean sure, if you have a good defense you're not often going to be down and can play more conservatively just like Wilson does. Again, I'm not knocking the guy. I think he's awesome. I just think Luck and RGIII will have better careers.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #40
GP_20
Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
Well I mean sure, if you have a good defense you're not often going to be down and can play more conservatively just like Wilson does. Again, I'm not knocking the guy. I think he's awesome. I just think Luck and RGIII will have better careers.
I can easily reverse what you said. If you have a bad defense, you will fall behind, and then get chances to stat-pad at the end of the games improving your individual #s.

I'm not knocking Luck either. He will have a great career. Wilson's will be better.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #41
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Luck has probably been the most clutch quarterback in the league.

He was playing a pretty brutal game yesterday....but then he gave us the plays when we asbolutely needed them near the end.

Luck is also asked to be THE offense with a sketchy line blocking for him. So of course he's going to be making more mistakes, have a worse passer rating, etc.... I don't remember a rookie QB coming into the league who has been asked to shoulder near as much as Luck has.

Luck has almost 200 more passes attempted than Wilson and RG3.

As with all stats, they're subjective.....quarterback rating will not favor someone like Luck who is asked to throw that many times with a sketchy line. He doesn't have a running game to rely on to get him in the redzone, then throw a touchdown to dramatically spike his rating. He has to throw and throw and throw to get down there, and YPA is a pretty significant part of quarterback rating.

It's not like you can compare either Russell's or RG3's situation to Lucks. If their respective teams asked them to throw 45 times a game, you would see their yardage go up and quarterback rating down.

Luck is 6th in the league in ESPN's Total QBR, FYI.

All things considered, Luck deserves it based on how the voters have voted in the past on such awards. If it was specially who has played the best, RG3 would win hands down.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #42
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

stats are subjective to a certain degree, if Luck was even close to Wilson or RG3 you could say "well Luck has to do more, Luck has worse WRs, etc"

but they are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum stat wise...Luck being one of the worst, and RG3 one of the very best

also, Luck being "clutch" by bringing his team to a win AFTER putting them in a deep hole with his 3 INTs shouldn't be seen as what makes him better than another QB IMO...
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

It's funny, Stafford has more attempts than Luck, a higher comp %, more TDs, less INTs, a better passer rathing, etc...just BETTER NUMBERS ALL AROUND

but most think that this is a bad year for Stafford, and an amazing year for Luck

it's just all hype...the media has convinced NFL fans to view Luck as the greatest thing to ever hit the NFL
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #44
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
It's funny, Stafford has more attempts than Luck, a higher comp %, more TDs, less INTs, a better passer rathing, etc...just BETTER NUMBERS ALL AROUND

but most think that this is a bad year for Stafford, and an amazing year for Luck

it's just all hype...the media has convinced NFL fans to view Luck as the greatest thing to ever hit the NFL

It's because Stafford doesn't have the comeback wins or team story, he's not a rookie, his team had much higher expectations than 4-8, and he's playing a few notches below compared to last year.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #45
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
It's because Stafford doesn't have the comeback wins or team story, he's not a rookie, his team had much higher expectations than 4-8, and he's playing a few notches below compared to last year.
IMO it is mostly just about wins

if the Lions had 8 wins right now people would say Stafford is playing awesome with the exact same stats

I really hate how people equate Ws with the QB...it completely undermines the other 52 players on the roster, as if winning and losing is just the QB's doing and the others do nothing.

It is the most simplistic way of rating someone possible..."oh he is on a good team so that means he is GOOD!!!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: