Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Math2
Local High School Star

Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Fox News getting beat in ratings by MSNBC since election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
The conservative media told conservatives that Romney was going to win in a landslide.

How did they do?

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/08/ten_...ously _wrong/

Based on the crowds he was drawing, in addition to some polls skewing it way towards Democrats, that's pretty much why.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
Based on bullshit and wishful thinking

There, fixed it for ya. Most people with any credibility outside of the faux news disinformation bubble knew it was a long shot for Mittens to win. Some even used math/statistics to show the reality of the situation. These people and their methods were bashed by that faction as 'scientific gobeldygook'.

And then reality set in.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Math2
Local High School Star

Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
There, fixed it for ya. Most people with any credibility outside of the faux news disinformation bubble knew it was a long shot for Mittens to win. Some even used math/statistics to show the reality of the situation. These people and their methods were bashed by that faction as 'scientific gobeldygook'.

And then reality set in.

And some used math and statistics and scientific gobeldygook to prove the exact opposite. Your point?
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
And some used math and statistics and scientific gobeldygook to prove the exact opposite. Your point?

Must have been doing some terrible math.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Why do you "hate" Maddow, out of curiosity? She's clearly a liberal and doesn't hide it, but she's also pretty intellectual and she uses facts to backup her arguments.

Can't imagine why anyone would have that strong of a disdain for her.

That's a good point, and noted. Surely, I realize she's an honest and open individual. She obviously doesn't hide her own personal views and opinions, and doesn't claim otherwise.

What I personally don't like (using the term "hate" was maybe a bit much) about Maddow is just simply her attitude. She (purposely, IMO) exhibits a persona and paints a picture for her viewers that republicans or other various individuals or groups that are not on "her side" are 100% false, in the wrong, etc. That really isn't a "character flaw" if you will; more like her doing her job (creating controversy). That isn't my beef with her.

The real issue is a little different. She doesn't just come out and say it - but wouldn't you agree when she's making arguments, voicing opinions, etc. that as she's "doing her thing" (which she's very good at BTW) she's very condescending towards the "other side" or whatever topic, subject, viewpoint is being debated or expressed. I just feel she isn't shy about kicking a dog while they're down.

Like I said, she's not coming straight out and saying "republicans are morons" in her sarcastic tone with condescending facial expressions, etc. LOL. I'm sure I'm just taking it way too far, and like I said, I give her props for doing her job well and being entertaining to her viewers, but it's just personally I can't stand her attitude.

I hate her in the same way I hate Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Nancy Grace or many other various news outlet personalities. You seem to love her attitude/persona, whereas I'm the opposite. You think she's very talented, honest, open and a professional. I agree with you 100% on that front. We just differ on favoring her personality. You like her, I don't. Differing opinions of character, that's all.

Last edited by Legend of Josh : 11-20-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

Quote:
Based on the crowds he was drawing, in addition to some polls skewing it way towards Democrats, that's pretty much why.

Obviously they didn't know their shit... But they thought they did.

I mean, I was off also... I thought Romney would win the popular vote due to the outraged whites. Many of them down here in the south. Heck, my niece voted for the guy and she is on food stamps! The fact that the republican party would consider her part of the problem seemed to be lost on her. But she had to vote to: "Get that N*gger out of office" anyway.

Last edited by Hotlantadude81 : 11-20-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is He Ill
Must have been doing some terrible math.

Or not doing math at all.

Dick Morris was 90% sure Romney was going to win, 60% sure it was going to be a landslide

And More

Quote:

See the above links.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
Obviously they didn't know their shit... But they thought they did.

IDK, I think they were just in supreme denial (the republicans). The entire time, I'm sure many of them knew deep within their hearts and minds that Obama would come away the victor in the end; they just illustrated on the outside a false confidence that Romney would win and get that "spook" out of the White House.

No, but seriously, I think it's more being in denial than anything else. Fox News themselves conceded Ohio as blue, but the Romney camp said no and all of America knew it was all over (actually knew it was all over well before that moment), but millions were still trying to *hope* pray to God or whatever that some magical fairy will come out of nowhere and suddenly there'd be enough "last minute" votes show up that overturn battleground states Obama had already won.

I'm sure this was the emotion running through millions and millions of Americans (republicans) as they sat there in their recliners in front of the TV, on Fox News or course, head down, pouting and the father contemplating blowing off the heads of his wife and two children before pointing the trigger at himself; either that or telling everyone to get into the pickup truck so he can drive them off the closest bridge.

What's really, really crazy? The mind-blowing FACT that millions of citizens (and not just your typical 87 year lifelong redneck or Rob Zombie loving skinhead, but a diverse group of many different age groups, personalities, levels of intelligence, personal accolades, accomplishments in life etc) - these millions of citizens in such a large diverse group who all share a common thread that brings them together. The dangling string being they feel the presidency is and always should be without question a position the WHITE MAN and white man ONLY should uphold.

I'm not a huge Obama fan myself people, but come on, he was more than obvious the best candidate and the most qualified to run our country of the two choices we had. I really hate that Obama just came out and said he supports gay marriage. I will never be OK with that, but it is what it is. I wasn't about to just vote for Romney based on that single issue. Romney running the country and blocking gay marriage but completely destroying the country isn't exactly a fair trade.

I'm *hoping* there is real optimism over the next four years. I have a feeling Obama and his camp will either vastly get us going in the right direction and we prove the world wrong by once again surging ourselves into the sure-fire SINGLE ONE AND ONLY world superpower - either that - or we tank even further, leaving the door even more open making it much easier for other nations to close the gap and catch up to the big bad ole USA.

Last edited by Legend of Josh : 11-20-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
Blackisbig
Serious playground baller

Blackisbig has decent reputation

Where are people getting their numbers? Nielsen says otherwise.

Link

12th

I guess on certain days MSNBC might outduel Fox in specific rating categories, but Fox is clearly outdrawing MSNBC overall.

Last edited by Blackisbig : 11-20-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Blackisbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #25
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Last edited by kNicKz : 11-20-2012 at 11:34 PM.
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #26
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There are a few shows on MSNBC I like and generally watch at least a few times a week.

Maddow - I can see why people might be annoyed by her sometimes smarmy attitude but she is usually very well researched and does a good bit of fact checking. She is obviously biased but I appreciate that she doesn't pretend to not be.

Morning Joe - They just have better intellectual discussions than the other morning shows IMO.

The Cycle - maybe its b/c the hosts are younger and I relate to them better, maybe my GF is right and I have a thing for S.E. Cupp, regardless this is my favorite ensemble host political show on TV.

Chris Matthews - I have a love hate thing for him. He gets a bit out there with his wide eyed awe of past Dem leaders and sometimes he is quite adept at putting his foot in his mouth with comments that can go over the line. But I appreciate when he puts a fool to the fire for being full of it. He is essentially a liberal mirror of OReilly IMO. Its 50/50 if I'll finish his show and I usually know within 5 minutes if I'm going to be able to stand his tone.

Shultz, O'Donnell, and Bashir all annoy the hell out of me and I refuse to watch them. Pig headed, narcissistic, demagogues aren't my thing. To me they come off as the liberal equivalents of dudes like Rush and Hannity.

As for Sharpton, I do like the different perspective he brings content wise but I find his show unwatchable due to his constant stammering, stuttering and inability to read his prompter. He is much better one he gets into a group discussion though. He needs to get rid of that "Nice try, but we gotcha" segment.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #27
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
That's a good point, and noted. Surely, I realize she's an honest and open individual. She obviously doesn't hide her own personal views and opinions, and doesn't claim otherwise.

What I personally don't like (using the term "hate" was maybe a bit much) about Maddow is just simply her attitude. She (purposely, IMO) exhibits a persona and paints a picture for her viewers that republicans or other various individuals or groups that are not on "her side" are 100% false, in the wrong, etc. That really isn't a "character flaw" if you will; more like her doing her job (creating controversy). That isn't my beef with her.

The real issue is a little different. She doesn't just come out and say it - but wouldn't you agree when she's making arguments, voicing opinions, etc. that as she's "doing her thing" (which she's very good at BTW) she's very condescending towards the "other side" or whatever topic, subject, viewpoint is being debated or expressed. I just feel she isn't shy about kicking a dog while they're down.

Like I said, she's not coming straight out and saying "republicans are morons" in her sarcastic tone with condescending facial expressions, etc. LOL. I'm sure I'm just taking it way too far, and like I said, I give her props for doing her job well and being entertaining to her viewers, but it's just personally I can't stand her attitude.

I hate her in the same way I hate Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Nancy Grace or many other various news outlet personalities. You seem to love her attitude/persona, whereas I'm the opposite. You think she's very talented, honest, open and a professional. I agree with you 100% on that front. We just differ on favoring her personality. You like her, I don't. Differing opinions of character, that's all.

Fair enough.

Personally, I don't think she is anything close to the liberal equivalent to the likes of O'Reilly, Rush, Grace, etc. There are several reasons for this...

1. Unlike O'Reilly, she is very open about her political leanings. Bill goes out of his way to constantly beat the drum that he's an "independent," all while literally almost always rehashing the same neocon talking points of the day. Maddow is an unapologetic, completely open liberal and her honestly as such makes her more credible, imo. When you have a person refusing to commit to an ideology that he clearly supports, how can I trust anything he/she says?

2. Rush is just a blowhard. Facts rarely come into play and it has become all about shock value and trying to desperately remain a conversation piece. It seems he prefers to be the story, not report on the story. Maddow certainly doesn't follow that script.

3. Maddow makes her liberal biases clear, but she still will go to great lengths to explain her position and why she supports it.

Yes, she can be arrogant and smarmy and I can certainly understand why that may rub people the wrong way. I don't think she is comparable to the hacks on the otherside of the aisle, though. That isn't to say MSNBC doesn't have hacks of their own. Ed Schultz, to me, is much more of the O'Reilly, Grace, Limbaugh variety than Maddow. Same goes for Lawrence O'Donnell.

I feel like the 24-hour news stations would be much more sensible if they all (on both sides) applied the Maddow model and not the O'Reilly/O'Donnell model, but that's just me. You can be biased in the media... Just be honest about it and still use facts in your argument... And don't just say things for effect.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #28
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The point is that the FNC "experts" almost across the board predicted a Romney landslide and it ended up being a route the other way... 332 to 206. That is a massive landslide.

So, the point is one side was right and the other was couldn't have possibly been more wrong... Like, completely polar opposite of what actually happened.

And, to make it even more laughable, the Nate Silvers of the world who ended up being exactly right were absolutely skewered by the conservative media and its followers.

Why are you talking as if both sides were equally biased and wrong? Look, when Gore "lost" to Bush II in '00, I didn't like it, but I knew it was a distinct possibility just based on the polling going into the election. When Bush II beat Kerry in '04, I actually went into that night bracing myself for it to happen. I was well aware of the prognostications and it didn't look particularly good.

Your side in this election just told themselves what felt good at the time and, as a result, seemed totally blindsided by something that was pretty obvious to everyone else.

In summation, stop watching FoxNews.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #29
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Chris Matthews - I have a love hate thing for him. He gets a bit out there with his wide eyed awe of past Dem leaders and sometimes he is quite adept at putting his foot in his mouth with comments that can go over the line. But I appreciate when he puts a fool to the fire for being full of it. He is essentially a liberal mirror of OReilly IMO. Its 50/50 if I'll finish his show and I usually know within 5 minutes if I'm going to be able to stand his tone.

The guy is batshit crazy.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #30
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I think Im gonna post some my all time favorite episodes of Hardball

here's a great one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0d8ENS__c

Chris catches this pundit fakin knowledge of who Nevel Chamberlain was and why he was famous.. He immediately goes in...

Good stuff

Dont go on his show if you dont know what you are talking about...lol
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: