Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,688
JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Are people really trying to delude themselves into thinking Obama has been a good president? Some of the selective arguments I've seen crack me up. Bottom line is, unemployment is still at 7.9%, higher than it was when he became president almost 4 years ago. This is a guy who greatly underestimated the problem, threw out quick fixes, many of which failed, and did not give the economy the attention it needed, instead focusing on his "legacy", Obamacare, which, by the way, is going to make things worse.

Unemployment, which had been rising steadily since May 2008, was at 7.8 the day Obama took office. It peaked at 9.8 in November 2010, and has dropped steadily since, sitting at 7.9 today.

By the time he completes his first term, the likelihood is that unemployment will be lower than when he took office, something his predecessor cannot claim.

Yours seems to be one of those selective arguments that amuse you so.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,688
JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
It doesn't matter how big or small health care costs have been rising, they're going to rise much faster now.

Wanna bet? My bet is you're just echoing talking points without really understanding how health care costs have risen way faster than the rate of inflation, all while the percentage paid by individual Americans has dropped to all-time lows.

* In 1942, the price for a maternity room at Christ Hospital in Jersey City, NJ was $7.00 per day.[3] Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $97.29 in 2011 dollars.[4] In 2011, the price for a maternity room at the same hospital was $1,360 per day.[5]

* In 1980, the average price for a typical hospital room in the U.S. was $127 per day.[6] Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $349 in 2011 dollars.[7]

* In 1988, Mutual of Omaha insurance company paid an average of $270 per day for all types of hospital rooms (such as medical/surgical, intensive care, maternity, etc.). Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $518 in 2011 dollars.[8] [9] [10]

* In 2002, Mutual of Omaha paid an average of $748 per day for all types of hospital rooms. Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $943 in 2011 dollars.[11] [12]

* A 2011 survey of eleven hospitals in Ohio (where state law requires hospitals to publish their prices) found that the daily price of a typical hospital room ranged from $688 to $2,425, with the average being $1,393 and the median $1,322.[13]

* Between 1960 and 2009, the portion of U.S. healthcare expenses paid:

• directly by consumers decreased from 48% to 12%.

• by government increased from 24% to 48%.

• by private insurance increased from 21% to 32%.[14]

http://www.justfacts.com/healthcare.asp

Last edited by JMT : 11-24-2012 at 07:26 PM.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #33
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Unemployment, which had been rising steadily since May 2008, was at 7.8 the day Obama took office. It peaked at 9.8 in November 2010, and has dropped steadily since, sitting at 7.9 today.

By the time he completes his first term, the likelihood is that unemployment will be lower than when he took office, something his predecessor cannot claim.

Yours seems to be one of those selective arguments that amuse you so.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

Uh, no, you didn't refute what I said. Your post itself confirms my fact from before that it has not gotten better since he took office, and is in fact, worse.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,688
JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Uh, no, you didn't refute what I said. Your post itself confirms my fact from before that it has not gotten better since he took office, and is in fact, worse.

Ah yes, .1% which is within the margin of error and, by the time his first term actually ends, will likely be lower. Again, something his predecessor cannot claim.

Unemployment under the former president rose from 4.2% in January 2001 to 7.8% when he left office. Looks like, in comparison, this administration has done pretty well.

Listen, I don't think Obama has done anything extraordinary. His policies have had a mixed bag of results, as do most president's. But the unemployment argument is a weak one. During a time that his opponents harken back to as one of great prosperity, those same numbers nearly doubled.

Last edited by JMT : 11-24-2012 at 07:34 PM.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #35
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Ah yes, .1% which is within the margin of error and, by the time his first term actually ends, will likely be lower. Again, something his predecessor cannot claim.

Unemployment under the former president rose from 4.2% in January 2001 to 7.8% when he left office. Looks like, in comparison, this administration has done pretty well.

Listen, I don't think Obama has done anything extraordinary. His policies have had a mixed bag of results, as do most president's. But the unemployment argument is a weak one. During a time that his opponents harken back to as one of great prosperity, those same numbers nearly doubled.

First of all, me thinking Obama has been poor doesn't mean I think Bush was good either. But Bush through 2 terms is not a fair comparison to Obama through 1 either. It's not a Democrat vs Republican thing for me. I think Clinton was much, much better than Obama.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Wanna bet? My bet is you're just echoing talking points without really understanding how health care costs have risen way faster than the rate of inflation, all while the percentage paid by individual Americans has dropped to all-time lows.

* In 1942, the price for a maternity room at Christ Hospital in Jersey City, NJ was $7.00 per day.[3] Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $97.29 in 2011 dollars.[4] In 2011, the price for a maternity room at the same hospital was $1,360 per day.[5]

* In 1980, the average price for a typical hospital room in the U.S. was $127 per day.[6] Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $349 in 2011 dollars.[7]

* In 1988, Mutual of Omaha insurance company paid an average of $270 per day for all types of hospital rooms (such as medical/surgical, intensive care, maternity, etc.). Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $518 in 2011 dollars.[8] [9] [10]

* In 2002, Mutual of Omaha paid an average of $748 per day for all types of hospital rooms. Adjusting for inflation, this amounts to $943 in 2011 dollars.[11] [12]

* A 2011 survey of eleven hospitals in Ohio (where state law requires hospitals to publish their prices) found that the daily price of a typical hospital room ranged from $688 to $2,425, with the average being $1,393 and the median $1,322.[13]

* Between 1960 and 2009, the portion of U.S. healthcare expenses paid:

directly by consumers decreased from 48% to 12%.

by government increased from 24% to 48%.

by private insurance increased from 21% to 32%.[14]

http://www.justfacts.com/healthcare.asp

You critisie me for "echoing talking points" while you copy and paste crap without reading it.

First off, you completely misunderstood my point. I said that even though health care costs have been rising, they will rise much, much faster now that Obamacare is law. What you posted had nothing to do with my post....

Yet inside of your post (and all the info inside you didn't read), you'll find why health care costs have been rising. Government spending.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
First of all, me thinking Obama has been poor doesn't mean I think Bush was good either. But Bush through 2 terms is not a fair comparison to Obama through 1 either. It's not a Democrat vs Republican thing for me. I think Clinton was much, much better than Obama.

I must say though, Obama thoroughly kicks Clinton's ass at his ability to lie.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #38
Nanners
Great college starter
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OKC
Posts: 3,735
Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
First of all, me thinking Obama has been poor doesn't mean I think Bush was good either. But Bush through 2 terms is not a fair comparison to Obama through 1 either. It's not a Democrat vs Republican thing for me. I think Clinton was much, much better than Obama.


yeah clinton was great.

lets look at some of his accomplishments: massively deregulated the banks, passed nafta to ship what little is left of our manufacturing overseas, gutted welfare, passed defense of marriage act.... but none of that matters because the economy was good back then!

i am no fan of obama, but i'll take him over clinton. the fact that people hold up clinton like he is the golden knight of democrats makes me sick.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #39
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,911
longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Obama is the second worst president of all-time.

1. Carter
2a. Obama
2b. LBJ

LBJ and Obama are neck-to-neck. It's pretty hard to decide.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #40
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Obama is the second worst president of all-time.

1. Carter
2a. Obama
2b. LBJ

LBJ and Obama are neck-to-neck. It's pretty hard to decide.

I'd go with Obama over LBJ....I might put JFK as 4th
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
yeah clinton was great.

lets look at some of his accomplishments: massively deregulated the banks, passed nafta to ship what little is left of our manufacturing overseas, gutted welfare, passed defense of marriage act.... but none of that matters because the economy was good back then!

i am no fan of obama, but i'll take him over clinton. the fact that people hold up clinton like he is the golden knight of democrats makes me sick.


Not to mention lied to everyone....

I hate Clinton, but would much rather have him as president over Obama. It is crazy to think either are good presidents.

It depends on what the definition of is...is.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #42
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
yeah clinton was great.

lets look at some of his accomplishments: massively deregulated the banks, passed nafta to ship what little is left of our manufacturing overseas, gutted welfare, passed defense of marriage act.... but none of that matters because the economy was good back then!

i am no fan of obama, but i'll take him over clinton. the fact that people hold up clinton like he is the golden knight of democrats makes me sick.

I never called Clinton great, I've also thought he was overrated when people talk of him as great, but he got some results, I haven't seen that from Obama, and aside from what I've seen put into place, I don't like much of what I hear from him. I'll never understand why people care much about the marriage shit, it really shouldn't be a priority.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #43
Math2
Local High School Star
 
Math2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,159
Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
I never called Clinton great, I've also thought he was overrated when people talk of him as great, but he got some results, I haven't seen that from Obama, and aside from what I've seen put into place, I don't like much of what I hear from him. I'll never understand why people care much about the marriage shit, it really shouldn't be a priority.

Marriage is irrelevant to me to. I couldn't care the least if gays could marry or not. I wouldn't mind if they did, I wouldn't care if they couldn't.

EDIT: Yay, 1,000 posts!
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #44
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,370
boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
You critisie me for "echoing talking points" while you copy and paste crap without reading it.

First off, you completely misunderstood my point. I said that even though health care costs have been rising, they will rise much, much faster now that Obamacare is law. What you posted had nothing to do with my post....

Yet inside of your post (and all the info inside you didn't read), you'll find why health care costs have been rising. Government spending.
what exactly are you basing this on? All of the various projections suggest that obamacare, as flawed as it is, will see an overall savings. Included in this is are some of the various measures already in place, such as the mandate that a certain % of your premium has to be used towards actual medical costs. Shocking, amirite?

As usual, you come in here a complete blowhard, with no substantive points or even wiki CnP's that support your argument.

There is a reason why we pay the highest cost (by a long shot) for the 28th? best care in the world. There is a reason why healthcare is 20% of the entire economy, and much of it is middleman bullshit industries that dont really do much. There is a reason why the shitty little country of cuba can negotiate better drug prices than bluecross/blueshield. There is a reason why we are the only country with such an antiquated and parasitic healthcare industry still in place.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #45
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,370
boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Obama is the second worst president of all-time.

1. Carter
2a. Obama
2b. LBJ

LBJ and Obama are neck-to-neck. It's pretty hard to decide.
Hilarious, coming from the kid who said in 2009 (recently bumped thread about having health insurance) that he was gonna stay on his parents until he was 26. Why in the ****ing world do you think you are allowed to leech on your parents health insurance for so long? OBAMACARE. ****ing uninformed hypocrite.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy