Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #1516
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Coming from a guy that has never read any of the literature I think they do a great job of referencing the comics without giving to much away on both sides. This is mainly because:

- They reference comics AFTER an event has happened
- They do not go into a segment where they dedicate a topic on comparing the differences. They keep it focused on the ACTORS and the show
- The hints are really ONLY picked up by people who are familiar with the comics
- I personally have never had something spoiled through the Talking Dead

Yeah, I haven't heard any spoilers on the Talking Dead outside of the showrunner mentioning a character (whose name I quickly forgot) who will be debuting next season.

Quote:
As for the cannibalism, sure it may be a common theme in an apocalypse. But once it was suggested in this thread it made it kind of a spoiler. I never thought that this must be cannibals after the scene where Beth was captured.

I wasn't thinking about them being cannibals, either. I was thinking Terminus was either going to end up being a false hope due to being overrun by walkers or an evil(er) Woodbury. I'm not sure this was the forum where I heard people mentioning cannibals before they even got to Terminus, though.

Quote:
And quite frankly I've had to avoid this thread a ton of times due to the comic references spoiling the upcoming shows.

I haven't stopped following the thread, but I tend to wait 'til after the episode has aired to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
Rezznor is correct, the group of us who have read the comics have shown incredible restraint

I just want to say that even if something may seem harmless to you it might not be. I had a part of GoT a bit spoiled because of something that others may have deemed harmless to say.

Quote:
Rick is probably going to understand what Carol did and welcome her back when she presumably rescues the group from whatever Terminus is.

Understand that it's OK to go behind everyone's back, murder people, and mutilate their bodies because you think there may be a chance it saves some lives?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #1517
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Understand that it's OK to go behind everyone's back, murder people, and mutilate their bodies because you think there may be a chance it saves some lives?

See that's the interesting part, it really depends on how you look at it?

For us, we live in what we would call 'normal', or 'standard'. For these characters, 'normal' or the current version of it is something completely different.

Carol saw 2 sick people in a world with little or no antibiotics and killed them, then burnt the bodies to kill the germs.

To us that's murder.

Rick shot 2 people for asking where they live, and murdered another for attempted rape on his son.

To us that's murder.

It could be viewed as self defense or protection their world.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #1518
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:

For us, we live in what we would call 'normal', or 'standard'. For these characters, 'normal' or the current version of it is something completely different.

Carol saw 2 sick people in a world with little or no antibiotics and killed them, then burnt the bodies to kill the germs.

To us that's murder.

Rick shot 2 people for asking where they live, and murdered another for attempted rape on his son.

To us that's murder.

also remember that rick has changed since he banished carol. he is no longer "farmer rick". he now realizes he has to be pragmatic and perhaps inhuman at times in order to live in this world. the adverts for next season emphasize "survive", and rick now knows that he will do whatever he needs to in order to protect himself, his kids, and his people. he's more like shane now and he will accept what carol felt like she had to do.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #1519
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmwise
Did anyone else wonder where terminuses ammunition factory is located as they must have shot off hundreds of rounds just in their encounter with Rick/Carl/Daryl/Michonne

Where can they afford to get all the ammo to expel 20 rounds just getting a few people to turn a certain corner

Here's your answer: It's a tv show.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #1520
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:

To us that's murder.

It's murder anyway you slice it. Hell, she was a member of the council, but she took matters into her own hands. Why didn't she consult with the council and see if they would agree? Why not discuss it with the entire group? You think Tyreese didn't see it as murder? If you're going to pull something like that, then you better be damn sure you're right. She wasn't. Doing something with good intentions doesn't necessarily make it right. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. What if she went around executing people just because she thought they may become a liability at some time? And since they all can turn into walkers, why not kill everyone?

Quote:

To us that's murder.

Rick is no boy scout.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #1521
step_back
College superstar

This show finally got the balls it was missing. Getting down to the gritty details of a zombie apocalypse. Euthanasia of the weak and cannibalism of the living. Really enjoyed the last 3 episodes in a sadistic sort of way.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #1522
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
It's murder anyway you slice it. Hell, she was a member of the council, but she took matters into her own hands. Why didn't she consult with the council and see if they would agree? Why not discuss it with the entire group? You think Tyreese didn't see it as murder? If you're going to pull something like that, then you better be damn sure you're right. She wasn't. Doing something with good intentions doesn't necessarily make it right. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. What if she went around executing people just because she thought they may become a liability at some time? And since they all can turn into walkers, why not kill everyone?

Rick is no boy scout.

I never said it wasn't murder, what I did say was due to extenuating circumstances beyond their control, actions that might otherwise be considered horrific and unjust are now considered justified to an extent.

No, rick is a cop, not a boy scout. Two completely different things
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 AM   #1523
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
I never said it wasn't murder, what I did say was due to extenuating circumstances beyond their control, actions that might otherwise be considered horrific and unjust are now considered justified to an extent.

It's not only the act itself, but also the fact that she took matters into her own hands. Justified to an extent? That's what people tell themselves to help sleep at night. A tiny bit of justification doesn't really make it any better. I'd think that her having no remorse nor regret makes it even worse.

Quote:
No, rick is a cop, not a boy scout. Two completely different things

It's an expression. I was tired and really meant to say "he's no saint", but pretty much the same thing.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #1524
Done_And_Done
D & D

Quote:
I think Carol has that hope too, it seemed she only put down Lizzie because she couldn't be around other people especially Judith. I think that infers that she has hope for a sustainable community somewhere.

I can't remember if Carol was present during Rick's speech at the end of Season 3, but he's enabling those decisions, then got angry when someone did something about it. That being said, I do agree he probably wouldn't have killed her, but it seems as if Rick has been affected the most throughout his journey.

He 'loses' his wife and kid
Finds out his best friend is sleeping with his wife
Watches his kid get shot
Watches a little girl die after losing her under his care.
His best friend tries to murder him
Kills his best friend
The only living memories of his wife is a son that wished he was dead and a baby that isn't his.

I'd like to believe that after enduring that much, he aims on the side of trying to salvage.

The next 'endured' survivor is probably Carol who lost an abusive husband, her daughter and got friendzoned by daryl

He isn't the biological????
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #1525
dkmwise
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
He isn't the biological????

Don't know if they ever outright say it but a lot of subtle things hint that the baby is Shane's
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #1526
hateraid
Is it in you?

Season 5
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #1527
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Already fapping with anticipation...
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #1528
Done_And_Done
D & D

That was bloody fantastic. Loved it from start to finish. Curious where they go from here now. I guess it's all about Washington...
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #1529
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Nice episode for once.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #1530
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Next episode is going to be awesome.