Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #406
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Land of 6 NBA titles
Posts: 54,096
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

RIP Merle Dixon.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #407
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,596
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

I thought this was a really solid episode. I really believe the show does it's best when it limits it's focus per episode. And this one bounced around a little, but it really centered on Merle. It's bouncing around was really limited to bouncing various characters off of Merle.

It's really time for this Governor character to run it's course. It's really crazy how much Michone has developed in a few episodes after a full season of almost nothing.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #408
JerryWest
kobeee!!
 
JerryWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Meh, lame story so far Season 1 was the only good season so far
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #409
bladefd
College superstar
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,401
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
The story is all Merle. People bounce ideas off of him, talk to him, and he is the driving force behind the episode. He actually grows a little, or lets out real parts of himself.

I think Merle was always a good guy, but he let his bad side overtake his good. I think we all have a good side to us and a bad. Merle was overall a good guy but misunderstood, and it is only now that we truly understand him. Remember, people -Governor & Rick to some degree, Shane before Rick arrived- were using him for their own gain much of the time (not that Merle was a saint, but we can now understand the reasons behind his aggression).

Throughout the journey, Merle does grow a bit, but we also start to know him a bit better. I think he was a bit insecure in trying to get accepted by others, but nobody was accepting him like his little brother Daryl. People looked down on Merle and essentially spat on him, took advantage of him and he embraced that by mirroring that anger back at everyone else. I hope I made some sense there :P

R.I.P. Merle
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #410
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
I think Merle was always a good guy, but he let his bad side overtake his good. I think we all have a good side to us and a bad. Merle was overall a good guy but misunderstood, and it is only now that we truly understand him. Remember, people -Governor & Rick to some degree, Shane before Rick arrived- were using him for their own gain much of the time (not that Merle was a saint, but we can now understand the reasons behind his aggression).

Throughout the journey, Merle does grow a bit, but we also start to know him a bit better. I think he was a bit insecure in trying to get accepted by others, but nobody was accepting him like his little brother Daryl. People looked down on Merle and essentially spat on him, took advantage of him and he embraced that by mirroring that anger back at everyone else. I hope I made some sense there :P

R.I.P. Merle

I think he it was more that people mirrored him than he mirrored them. I think he felt more of a 'It's me against the world' motivation because of the abuse he experienced growing up (thus he mirrored his dad, not the way people viewed him). The time when he saw Daryl's scars was the most important reveal to his character IMO. His father beat him and he took the mentality that you got to be tough and nobody will understand him because of his past (not even his brother). I'm thinking he thought the assumed difference in their upbringing was why Daryl was softer and was more accepting of people. When he saw the scars, he realized that the difference between him and Daryl was internal and not because of the upbringing since they had gone through the same thing contrary to what he always believed.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #411
NoGunzJustSkillz
2015
 
NoGunzJustSkillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,174
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
At least Merle did a few good deeds before he died.

but the Walking Dead producers are just conflicted as hell i bet to kill off these incredibly interesting characters like Shane and Merle. But their death benefits the show until another interesting bad boy with great survival instincts steals the show. Its becoming a vicious cycle.
they both had bigger things on their plate, that's why they got killed off.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #412
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,919
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Called it on Merle. Most predictable character arc ever.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #413
Ikill
i be killah swag
 
Ikill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,565
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

really hope Daryl kills the Governor
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #414
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Land of 6 NBA titles
Posts: 54,096
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

27 characters will die in the season finale.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #415
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Land of 6 NBA titles
Posts: 54,096
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb_s7nqa1co

Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #416
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Called it on Merle. Most predictable character arc ever.

I don't remember what you called, how specific you were is the part that could make the prediction good. Did you predict he would die? That he would die this season? That episode? That he would die at the hands of the Governor? That he would die trying to take out the Governor like a badass?
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #417
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,919
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I don't remember what you called, how specific you were is the part that could make the prediction good. Did you predict he would die? That he would die this season? That episode? That he would die at the hands of the Governor? That he would die trying to take out the Governor like a badass?
Him never joining the core group (as some people were hoping), trying to redeem himself a bit then being killed off. His character was treated in the most predictable way ever. Well, 2nd most to T-Dog and Black Guy #2 dying.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #418
NoGunzJustSkillz
2015
 
NoGunzJustSkillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,174
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Him never joining the core group (as some people were hoping), trying to redeem himself a bit then being killed off. His character was treated in the most predictable way ever. Well, 2nd most to T-Dog and Black Guy #2 dying.
Doubt anybody thought he'd last past this season.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #419
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,919
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
Doubt anybody thought he'd last past this season.
DON'T LIE! YOU ALL DID! DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME!

But yea, his character served little purpose other than to eventually die. I'm having a harder time caring about any of these dipshits on the show.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #420
NoGunzJustSkillz
2015
 
NoGunzJustSkillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,174
Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
DON'T LIE! YOU ALL DID! DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME!

But yea, his character served little purpose other than to eventually die. I'm having a harder time caring about any of these dipshits on the show.
eh from the looks of some posts in here, not everybody assumed he'd be gone so I take it back. i wonder who we lose next week.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy