Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #661
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: The Walking Dead (television only) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
its gonna be a boring season until the governor and those two big black dudes show up again

I'm not a fan of the Governor. I prefer bad guys where you can relate to them and see where they are coming from. They just shoved down our throats "look, he is bad, see how bad he is?" rather than making an actual interesting character out of him.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #662
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I just caught up last night, so I'll give my initial reaction.

I really liked this as a premier. Much more than last year, where really right from the start The Governor's set up just didn't read well to me. It just looked too fake. This sort of farm living set up they have now makes a lot more sense for communal living to me.

I really like the introduction of whatever this disease is. The show needed a new threat. Once we learned about the groups being infected and having some kind of ability to fight it off until death, it sort of took the disease threat out of the show, and the zombie threat is only real in specific settings. This looming disease is far more interesting than last years goofy Governor group in my opinion. And the fact that the disease can breach their fences in a way the already existing zombie threat can't is a nice element.
I also thought the set piece in the store was really well done. Pretty well shot. Pretty well thought out layout of the idea. A bit dark at times and quick cut-y for my taste, but overall very well handled.
The weird chick Rick dealt with was a little all over for me. She obviously was a reflection of Rick. Here seeing a lost husband was not unlike Rick, although he seemed to be somewhat real based on that moving bag, but it would've been better had they just left him a figment of her imagination. But more than that I think it was a reminder for Rick to trust and help people. He's obviously back to having issues we weren't completely exposed to last night, which is why they had to have a talk with him before he went out, and why they added little notes about Darryl bringing in more people than Rick of late, and other little mentions here and there.

I hope this season turns out better than last year. The threat of The Governor looming I can deal with so long as it doesn't occupy so much time like last year.
Further exploring this community they've developed interests me. Especially once it's under attack by this disease. And I'd like to see more of what they have for resources. Rick appeared to be rockin an Ipod to start the episode. And they talked about using car batteries to rig up that speaker for the music to attract the zombies away from the supply center.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #663
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I'm not a fan of the Governor. I prefer bad guys where you can relate to them and see where they are coming from. They just shoved down our throats "look, he is bad, see how bad he is?" rather than making an actual interesting character out of him.
its a zombie tv show man what do you expect

but i see what you mean, kind of like shane?
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #664
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
its a zombie tv show man what do you expect

but i see what you mean, kind of like shane?

Shane was my favorite character on the show.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #665
hateraid
Is it in you?

Pros:
- Introduction of fresh new characters, can reboot the whole character development and do it right.
- Introduction to the virus mutating also brings new avenues
- Focusing back on survival mode, having to forage and perimieter check reintroduces the zombie threat
- The desensitized OG cast vs the new naive cast makes for good internal conflict
- Beth's character becoming morbid and not this pleasant singing headache
Cons:
- the Governor storyline had no definitive ending or explanation for not re engaging with the prison. It would be pretty difficult to write him back in and make it interesting with the new threats
- Carl and Hershel are still annoying

Did anybody else wanna see Darryl and Beth get it on?
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #666
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Pros:
- Introduction of fresh new characters, can reboot the whole character development and do it right.
- Introduction to the virus mutating also brings new avenues
- Focusing back on survival mode, having to forage and perimieter check reintroduces the zombie threat
- The desensitized OG cast vs the new naive cast makes for good internal conflict
- Beth's character becoming morbid and not this pleasant singing headache
Cons:
- the Governor storyline had no definitive ending or explanation for not re engaging with the prison. It would be pretty difficult to write him back in and make it interesting with the new threats
- Carl and Hershel are still annoying

Did anybody else wanna see Darryl and Beth get it on?

I'm not sure about the make it interesting part, but I'm thinking to write him back in, all he has to do is start a new city, gain the trust of it, built a new army, and convince them that Rick's group is a threat. If they do it that way, it can't be until like season 6 though (unless there is a big time gap between seasons).
Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #667
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Herschel's voice of reason act is getting tiresome.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #668
Shade8780
Father Christmas

Someone needs to make a deal with it gif of that when that zombie was hanging from the roof from his guts
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #669
Shade8780
Father Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxvo8AcpQQ
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #670
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Shane was my favorite character on the show.

Shane was awesome. In the middle of a zombie apocalypse he was still getting ***** like nobody's business.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #671
DaSeba5
Heat|Dolphins|Marlins

Quote:

I agree. It's more like "see he has an eye patch... bad guy." The gov in the comic had much more of a character.
DaSeba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #672
rezznor
Nosetradamus

bad things coming for our characters

Quote:
It is escalating I guess to a certain extent, but that's because as the characters move further and further away from civilization, they're going to start encountering more and more dangerous people. That's not by accident. Things do get a little bit harsher. But it's a violent world and we have to realistically portray that or people won't buy this story. And to that, people gots to die, I always say. And they have to die in horrific ways. So it's going to be pretty gruesome in some ways, but it's always about character at its core. As long as we maintain the show's humanity, I don't feel that we lose our way
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #673
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780

shit was on point
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #674
EnoughSaid
Miami Heat/Arsenal FC

I think that handshake between the kid who died at the end (bleeding eyes) and Darell is important. Only after that did he start showing symptoms. Maybe some people have it but are immune and others just break out with it? Anyway, great premiere. Last season was so so disappointing so this one should be better. I'm interested in the whole council vs. Rick storyline. Seems like they're preaching self defense and weapons while Rick doesn't want any of that.
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #675
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
I think that handshake between the kid who died at the end (bleeding eyes) and Darell is important. Only after that did he start showing symptoms.

Good sh*t. Honestly, it would be amusing to me if Daryl died, based on how many fans he has and the whole "IF DARYL DIES WE RIOT" crowd.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: