Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is considered somewhat coolTheMan is considered somewhat cool
Default Can Nolan make Superman not boring?

I'm sorry but I doubt it. Superman/Clark Kent are just vanilla characters. SMH at Lois Lane not recognizing Kent as Superman because of a pair of glasses

Superman=most boring superhero of all time.

If Nolan makes Man Of Steel interesting, he'll go down as a GOAT director in my book
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

kuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Can Nolan make Superman not boring?

Superman is alright w/ me. Obviously not as good as Batman -- but Nolan is producing this film. There is simply no way he ****s this up.
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Looks like he's on the verge of delivering the first logical re-invention / re-imagining of the character for a contemporary audience.

He will treat the material seriously like he did BEGINS, TDK, RISES ... and judging from the teaser alone it will be a more heady and psychological approach.

Not fun and tongue in cheek like Donner. It will fit the times. Plus, the cast is AMAZING just like his Batman trilogy.

Crowe
Costner
Adams
Michael Shannon
Fishburn

I'm totally excited. You should try reading a graphic novel called "Birthright" it's contemporary vision of Superman, and it's amazing. He's not some bland boy scout either, while he's unstoppable physically ... he has battles within himself that relate him to the audience.

Man of Steel will probably work the same way. Hopefully. Nolan / Goyer producing and outlined the story ...

w/ Snyder (300 and Watchmen) on the visuals. Impressive.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I expect the movie to be enjoyable. Its the perfect project for Nolan since Superman is a boring character, which allows him to put more of his own spin on things.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is considered somewhat coolTheMan is considered somewhat cool

The thing that gets me is that Superman is just way too powerful and the only thing that fvcks him up is kryptonite, yet his enemies always have a stash laying around without ever explaining how the fvck they came up with debris from a planet that was destroyed many galaxies away
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
I'm sorry but I doubt it. Superman/Clark Kent are just vanilla characters. SMH at Lois Lane not recognizing Kent as Superman because of a pair of glasses

Superman=most boring superhero of all time.

If Nolan makes Man Of Steel interesting, he'll go down as a GOAT director in my book
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
The thing that gets me is that Superman is just way too powerful and the only thing that fvcks him up is kryptonite
Superman's issues in order to relate to the audience should be internal.

Identity issues, using his extreme abilities for right or wrong, etc.

There are other enemies besides Lex Luthor and the use of kryptonite. There are Superman villains that can challenge him physically. There are plots that push Superman to the limit without the use of kryptonite. I'm going to chalk this statement up to ignorance of the source material.

Quote:
SMH at Lois Lane not recognizing Kent as Superman because of a pair of glasses

For me this is the hardest part of the mythology to swallow. Even more difficult then him being a Moses like alien character from planet "Krypton"

Wonder how this will be addressed. It's easily the biggest aspect needed for suspension of disbelief within the material. For me at least.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I

I'd be impressed if a guy becomes known as the GOAT director for a movie he produces.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well remember Nolan is just producing this one. It's being directed Zack Snyder.

Now Nolan does have a ton of creative input I'm sure, producers always do, but Snyder is going to have the final say in visual direction.

And Snyder has done some good things... and some bad things as a director, but from a visual perspective he is really really good.

But Superman has proven to be incredibly difficult to get right on the big screen.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

even though it's not a superman movie

Unbreakable kind of treads on what I would want from a superman origins film. It's a different take on the superhero mythos
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Dragonyeuw
Local High School Star

Dragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat cool

Superman( the movies at least, I haven't kept up with his comics in years so I can't say how he's portrayed now) has always been seen as 100% virtuous and practically free of character flaws. I'd like to see an interpretation that deals with an internal conflict, like using his powers for good or evil, or perhaps he makes a bad 'human' decision and out of tragedy recognizes the need to use his powers for good. He was raised as a human so for all purposes he should exhibit many of the character 'flaws' that define humans. Ultimately he chooses to take the right course because he recognizes that he's in a position to rule the world if he so chooses, but instead decided to act as its savior. Humanize the character, is what I'm saying.

I have a feeling, based off the tidbits of info I've read and teaser trailers I've seen, that this is the direction Nolan is taking the character, which I see as a good thing. It's possible to stay true to the character while modernizing him for today's audience.

Last edited by Dragonyeuw : 11-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Dragonyeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Who was casted as Lois Lane, if this is going to be another terrible film(let's hope nolan comes through) Lois better have a nice.rack. I wona see some big t!tties. Then they have clarks point of view be slow motion of lois's juggs moving up and down and maybe some of that special vision of his for a nipple or two
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
even though it's not a superman movie

Unbreakable kind of treads on what I would want from a superman origins film. It's a different take on the superhero mythos

I always wanted a continuation of Unbreakable. My favorite M. Night movie easily.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Myth

Btw, I love the title of this article: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...222100414.html

The suit somehow looks more weird without the underwear.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

So you guys essentially want Superman to just be a copy of Batman?
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: