Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board
Default Re: Who is "YOUR" Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
No Spiderman or X-Men flicks? I'm surprised.
Nope. X3 and Wolverine Origins were atrocious. X and X2 felt average at best, and focused less on the team dynamic and more on Wolverine.

Raimi's Spider-Man films have not aged well, and it's too "Sam Raimi" much like Batman Returns is too "Tim Burton" (B89 at least kept the Burton-isms in check) ... they put themselves and their quirky sensibilities in front of the character and I can't abide by that, add to the fact I can't stand Tobey McGuire and Kirsten Dunst, and they have the bulk of the screen time.

Andrew Garfield NAILED the Spider-Man personality in ASM but his Peter was all kinds of off ... and the tone of the film was too bleak, too dark, and trying way too hard to be Batman Begins.

If you take Garfield's Spider-Man, combine it with the characterization of Raimi's Peter Parker. Have some of the fun tone of Raimi's films, without the Raimi cheese factor, the colors of the first film, Emma Stone as Gwen ... you'd have the ideal Spider-Man movie. But the tone hasn't been captured right for me, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
solid list though. Iron Man (the first one) was my favorite non-batman comic book film.
Iron Man / Blade / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) are my favorite non Batman superhero movies.

Superman TM could've been better if it was slightly less tongue in cheek and more serious. Iron Man is the only LEGIT Marvel Studio film, yet.

I can't stand the rest. All average at best marketing PRODUCTS. Each one is essentially a commercial for the next film, and I don't respect that ...

Avengers was a friggin comedy. And yes, it was funny at times. But I didn't have the immersion and don't buy the hype that others are giving it. They were brain washed for five years, movie after movie into liking it and wanting it.

Even if it was bad they weren't going to let themselves not like it. Loki is a terrible villain. Not intimidating in the slightest.

What's your list?

Even though it isn't an adaptation, I wanted to put Pixar's "The Incredibles" on the list, but they weren't established properties. It's more difficult to adapt something, create something new while being respectful to source material and fan base.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #47
Dragonyeuw
Local High School Star

Dragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
I can do a list with Nolan's TDK trilogy or w/o TDK trilogy.

TDK and RISES, even though they use comic book characters, themes and plots ... they aren't totally confined to the "superhero film" genre and it's cliches. TDK is a crime drama, and RISES is a disaster / war film.

For mainstream comic book characters, in cinematic adaptations. No graphic novel films like Watchmen, 300, V for Vendetta?

With Nolan's Trilogy, Top Ten:

1) The Dark Knight
2) TDKR
3) Batman Begins
4) Iron Man
5) Blade
6) Batman 1989
7) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
8) Superman: TM
9) Ang Lee's HULK
10) The Shadow

Without Nolan's Trilogy:

1) Iron Man
2) Blade
3) Batman 1989
4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
5) Superman: TM
6) Ang Lee's HULK
7) The Shadow
8) Dick Tracy
9) Rocketeer
10) Hellboy

Interesting that you mentioned the original Ninja Turtles 89 film. I watched that a few months ago just for $hits and giggles, and was surprised at how watchable it was, for me anyway. Has a good deal of charm if you can overlook how funny and 'obviously' rubber the costumes are.

I agree with Iron man in a top 5 slot, I think that's the best and overall most enjoyable of the last 4 years of Marvel films. Spidey hasn't really held up too well, especially since seeing the more recent Marvel movies, as a trilogy they've dropped quite a few pegs in my eyes though Spidey 2 is still watchable for me. Haven't seen this year's Spiderman yet because of what I was telling you earlier with my wife's surgery, just lost interest in those kinds of things during the summer( she's recovered fortunately). Hope to catch up now that this films have been released on blu-ray.....
Dragonyeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
Interesting that you mentioned the original Ninja Turtles 89 film. I watched that a few months ago just for $hits and giggles, and was surprised at how watchable it was, for me anyway. Has a good deal of charm if you can overlook how funny and 'obviously' rubber the costumes are.
You had issues with the costume? Man, that's the best they ever looked. Jim Henson at his finest and in his prime.

Yea, the OG Ninja Turtle movie still holds up well. It was the perfect blend of the classic elements of the cartoon that gave it popularity, combined with character and story elements of the gritty Mirage comics. It has charm, and it has darkness.

In fact, it too like the Nolan Batman movies takes a fantastical idea and characters and puts them in a functioning, contemporary, believable setting. Making it all sort of plausible.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #49
Dragonyeuw
Local High School Star

Dragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
You had issues with the costume? Man, that's the best they ever looked. Jim Henson at his finest and in his prime.

Not enough of an issue to detract from the enjoyment of the film. Perhaps its the best they've ever looked but isn't that early 90's trilogy the only live-action adaptation? We have nothing else live-action wise to compare it to lol.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #50
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

I think it takes ultimately two to depict how a character is shown on film. The actor and the director. I like Jack's twist on the Joker he peformed nearly flawlessly. But Tim Burton didnt really delve into the maniacal and insane side of the Joker which i have come to love from the graphic novels and lesser on the animated series as a kid. Batman 1989 was great for its time. However now the Joker, i hope by now, is defined by the dark, maniacal, and chaotic nature depicted by Nolan and Heath's version. That was a defining role for all future Jokers to come, if anyone wants to try to top it, theyre gonna have to be even more daring.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #51
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
Not enough of an issue to detract from the enjoyment of the film. Perhaps its the best they've ever looked but isn't that early 90's trilogy the only live-action adaptation?
It is ... but trust me that is some great costume making from Jim Henson for the 1990 film.

The costumes gradually got worse, and switched companies for the film for the third and it looked atrocious.

Quote:
We have nothing else live-action wise to compare it to lol.
Michael Bay is making a new TMNT movie. So we'll see ...

Did you get TDK Rises yet? Came out today. I want your opinions.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #52
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
This is the Joker I hear in my head when there is no sound from tv or movie.

This. Whenever I read a Joker quote/line, the voice in my head is Mark Hamill's, and I didnt really even watch the Batman series all like that. But between the shows, games, commercials, animated movies etc, Hamill pretty much IS the Joker of the past 20 years
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #53
Dragonyeuw
Local High School Star

Quote:

Did you get TDK Rises yet? Came out today. I want your opinions.

Not yet, maybe towards the end of the month.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: