Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #16
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Adele's album 21 is now DIAMOND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles p
and i can't even name one song she sings and don't care the slightest bit.

Rolling in the deep?
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
I honestly don't understand the sales of this album.

They overplay every song on that album a million times over and over and over
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
DMV2
NBA All-star

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
I honestly don't understand the sales of this album.
Easy to understand, my dude.

She's appeal to both the pop and adult contemporary audience. Successful Pop will still get you automatic 1-2 million sales, then add the adult contemporary audience(who still buys CDs and records). Country genre still sells a lot too.

Plus, she's a chubby girl. Most women in the States are chubby like her, and some fatter.

Perhaps the last statement might be the real reason.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Great singer and song writer. She's popular because you can feel the emotion in her music. 10 million albums in this day and age is pretty remarkable.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
Easy to understand, my dude.

She's appeal to both the pop and adult contemporary audience. Successful Pop will still get you automatic 1-2 million sales, then add the adult contemporary audience(who still buys CDs and records). Country genre still sells a lot too.

Plus, she's a chubby girl. Most women in the States are chubby like her, and some fatter.

Perhaps the last statement might be the real reason.

You forgot the most important thing; she's white. If she was any other race with the same everything else, we probably wouldn't even know her name.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputation

no surprise

fat girls' anthems
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
DMV2
NBA All-star

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
You forgot the most important thing; she's white. If she was any other race with the same everything else, we probably wouldn't even know her name.
I can't disagree with you there; though I didn't want to bring race into this. Adult Contemporary and Country are very popular with older middle-class and rich white people.

As big as Beyonce is in the past 10 years, none of her albums have sold more than 5 million in the States.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot

absolute bullshit.

you can count the number of folks with her voice and her songwriter chops on one hand.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

It's crazy good that's she has sold so many albums in about 2 years and I don't know anyone who owns it except for this one dude at my job.

Adele's audience is the older crowd and somewhat country music folks. I believe that's why she's sold so much. Country fans will support their artist unlike hip-hop/R&/pop ect. Than add to it the above 30 age group, they also go out and buy albums instead of torrents.

Take a look at this place whenever a hip-hop artist is about to drop a disc. A week or 2 before, there is a thread here on where to download it from?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #25
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Sade, the singer/group collectively (all albums, releases, etc), have sold damn near 50 million units worldwide despite not even being all that popular in the US. Good music always finds its way to success regardless of universal popularity; and by universal popularity, I basically mean being highly celebrated in the United States of America.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #26
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

great pipes but i havent heard a great live performance from her. at least not on the whitney houston epic levels
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #27
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
It's crazy good that's she has sold so many albums in about 2 years and I don't know anyone who owns it except for this one dude at my job.

Adele's audience is the older crowd and somewhat country music folks. I believe that's why she's sold so much. Country fans will support their artist unlike hip-hop/R&/pop ect. Than add to it the above 30 age group, they also go out and buy albums instead of torrents.

Take a look at this place whenever a hip-hop artist is about to drop a disc. A week or 2 before, there is a thread here on where to download it from?

It's crazy how much downloading has affected artists income. You need to be a giant star to make any money these days. Galaxie 500 is a pretty obscure band, but they had a dedicated following and got a lot of critical acclaim. They just wrote on article about how the digital music world has affected them. They used earn more money by selling one 7" single than 14,000 plays on Pandora and Spotify.

Quote:
My BMI royalty check arrived recently, reporting songwriting earnings from the first quarter of 2012, and I was glad to see that our music is being listened to via these services. Galaxie 500's "Tugboat", for example, was played 7,800 times on Pandora that quarter, for which its three songwriters were paid a collective total of 21 cents, or seven cents each. Spotify pays better: For the 5,960 times "Tugboat" was played there, Galaxie 500's songwriters went collectively into triple digits: $1.05 (35 cents each).
To put this into perspective: Since we own our own recordings, by my calculation it would take songwriting royalties for roughly 312,000 plays on Pandora to earn us the profit of one-- one-- LP sale. (On Spotify, one LP is equivalent to 47,680 plays.)
Or to put it in historical perspective: The "Tugboat" 7" single, Galaxie 500's very first release, cost us $980.22 for 1,000 copies-- including shipping! (Naomi kept the receipts)-- or 98 cents each. I no longer remember what we sold them for, but obviously it was easy to turn at least a couple bucks' profit on each. Which means we earned more from every one of those 7"s we sold than from the song's recent 13,760 plays on Pandora and Spotify. Here's yet another way to look at it: Pressing 1,000 singles in 1988 gave us the earning potential of more than 13 million streams in 2012.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #28
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
great pipes but i havent heard a great live performance from her. at least not on the whitney houston epic levels

That's pretty lofty standards.

Also, I respect Whitney Houston as a vocalist, but I don't think there's one Whitney Houston song I like. I do like Adele's songs.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #29
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa

Considering her age... that might be a bit understandable. Compared to someone on Whitney's level at least, no?
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #30
DMV2
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Is it the touring that separates the difference between fan support and loyalty of hip-hop/r&b fans and rock and country fans?

Or is hip-hop all about what's fresh and new, the next big thing? so fans are least likely to be invested on an artist.

Country and rock artists can tour for a whole year or two and come back 3 years later with a new album and they'd still have fans flocking to buy their albums or see their concert.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: