Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #31
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: Adele's album 21 is now DIAMOND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
Is it the touring that separates the difference between fan support and loyalty of hip-hop/r&b fans and rock and country fans?

Or is hip-hop all about what's fresh and new, the next big thing? so fans are least likely to be invested on an artist.

Country and rock artists can tour for a whole year or two and come back 3 years later with a new album and they'd still have fans flocking to buy their albums or see their concert.
I don't think it's touring, hip-hop/R&B just don't support their artist.

Sorry to go somewhat off topic but:
How does MC Hammer sell so many records one year, that can't get make the Billboard 100 a few years later.

How was Ja Rule the biggest selling hip hop artist for one year and 2 years later, can't go plastic?

Rock Artist who have been around since the 70 and 80s can continue to get high charting albums. And I'm not even talking about the Rolling Stones. Like 2nd and 3rd tier acts do decent on the charts. Depeche Mode charted top 5 on the Billboard charts a few years back.

Yet if Kool & The Gang released an album, no one would give a fck.

It happened last year, Morris Day and the TIME released an album after over 20 years. It charted I think 58 the first week and it was out the Billboard 100 by the 3rd week.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #32
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

I think touring is a huge factor in fan support of country and rock artists. Whenever I talk about music to people who like country or certain bands, they always bring up concerts or festivals they've seen their fav artists play. It's never really just about albums and songs. I've talk to chicks who dig country and they always bring up CountryFest. I'll talk to some dude about a band and he'll say, "Yeah, I saw them at _______ a few years ago." Etc...

I think touring is key for garnering loyalty and fan support. I've traveled to Canada to see a show before. It's part of rock and country culture.

In hip-hop, nobody really tours for long extended time. They always release new singles and new album as soon as possible.

Good music is timeless. Soak it all in slowly. Enjoy every aspect of it. On wax, at live shows. No need to rush to the next big thing.

Last edited by DMV2 : 11-30-2012 at 01:55 AM.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #33
beer
UCLA alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
You forgot the most important thing; she's white. If she was any other race with the same everything else, we probably wouldn't even know her name.

thought provoking. we have a truly erudite poster on this forum.

one who can think as clearly as you must answer me this. why does my wife, who is black, love adele and owns her cd. i'm also not white and i like her music. what is it about her melanin content that draws us to her?
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #34
The_Yearning
The Truthteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
That's pretty lofty standards.

Also, I respect Whitney Houston as a vocalist, but I don't think there's one Whitney Houston song I like. I do like Adele's songs.

You cray

The Children are our future
The_Yearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #35
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer
thought provoking. we have a truly erudite poster on this forum.

one who can think as clearly as you must answer me this. why does my wife, who is black, love adele and owns her cd. i'm also not white and i like her music. what is it about her melanin content that draws us to her?

Who said you have to be white to like her music? This is the case in pop culture, most things aren't cool (in the mainstream) until white people do it. Its the same recipe that has been going on for a while now, white women who sound like soulful black women, and they call it refreshing

I'm not shocked about her success, that is pretty much the deal in this country. You have to let white people bandwagon your culture before they accept it.

I'm not even intending to hate her success, good for her, i just don't understand the surprise. White people always go wild for other culture's when that culture is delivered in a white representation. Jesus, Rock n Roll, Eminem.

Last edited by Loneshot : 11-30-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #36
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

Her being white boost record sales from being the usual 1-3 million to 10 million. That's what Longshot is trying to say. Yeah, she would have been a multi-platinum seller if she was black but the sales wouldn't skyrocket that high.

I already mentioned Beyonce, who's arguably the biggest pop female artist of the past decade and her biggest seller in the States was only 4 million.

Em is another example. He's great but there's a reason why he has four albums that sold 5+ millions and two of which went over 10 million.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #37
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
absolute bullshit.

you can count the number of folks with her voice and her songwriter chops on one hand.
Why does it even matter who writes the song? No one really cares as long as the song is good.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #38
CeltsGarlic
straight from...

She suck huge cawk. Fat btch.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #39
FillJackson
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
Why does it even matter who writes the song? No one really cares as long as the song is good.

For one, it helps album cohere together. For two, it increases fan's identification with and connection with an artist.
Both of which help album sales. Adele's fan's more likely buy her album and not just her singles.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
NoGunzJustSkillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
I wonder what's the appeal in her. She sounds just like a bunch of black female singers throughout history. The music isn't groundbreaking or any different than what's been heard. Another benefit of being white i guess.
examples please.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #41
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
examples please.

Why do you need examples of something that is obvious? If you really listen to Adele and feel like you've never heard that sound before, then maybe you just haven't listened to much music.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #42
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillJackson
For one, it helps album cohere together. For two, it increases fan's identification with and connection with an artist.
Both of which help album sales. Adele's fan's more likely buy her album and not just her singles.
LOL, thats just bs. Good songwriters can write sons from the singers perspective.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #43
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends

F**k that fatty.
Kobe 4 The Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #44
Derka
Go C's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
I honestly don't understand the sales of this album.
A lot of people like it and decided to purchase it. See?
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
A lot of people like it and decided to purchase it. See?

I guess I deserved that one.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: