Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Who on the '04 Pistons Team Gets His Number Retired?

Food for thought.

The previous championship winning team for the Pistons had a total number of 6 jerseys retired. Who do you guys think will be retired from the 2004 team, if any?

To me, Ben Wallace is the obvious choice with Chauncey being a good candidate but not guaranteed.

Some argue that Hamilton, as the all time playoff scoring leader for the Pistons, should be retired as well as Larry Brown. Personally, I think Big Ben is the only definite.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Haymaker
College star

Haymaker has decent reputationHaymaker has decent reputation
Default Re: Who on the '04 Pistons Team Gets His Number Retired?

Tayshaun for sure. Loyalty.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Bandito
Banned

Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would retired all of them as a team because they won as a team not as a collection of All-stars. Meaning I would retire the five starters of that 04 team and that includes Rasheed.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think it's a tough decision. Each of the five starters have their own case for making it. I personally feel Ben Wallace is a certainty. I also feel it'd be tough to not retire a Finals MVP and multiple time All-Star (Billups). And it's hard to argue against Hamilton's case of being their all-time leading playoff scorer. Then there's Tayshaun, who's played 10 very solid years for the Pistons, playing an integral role not only in their championship season, but also each subsequent run, arguable completing the most famous play in Detroit's playoff history.

Strangely, Rasheed Wallace sort of seems like the odd man out. Just five and a half seasons with the club, two of those seasons coming while he was almost surely on a decline. They likely would not have won a ring in '04 without him though, so that could almost be reason enough.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Eric Cartman is considered somewhat coolEric Cartman is considered somewhat cool

To me Billups and Wallace are almost a sure thing that they get in. The other ones are debatable, but seeing Tayshaun's longevity with the team it would be a nice gesture to have retire him as well.
Eric Cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
DetroitPiston
Soundcatcher

DetroitPiston is considered somewhat coolDetroitPiston is considered somewhat coolDetroitPiston is considered somewhat cool

Ben and Chauncey are definite locks IMO. Tayshaun wouldn't surprise me, the whole team wouldn't either.
DetroitPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Only Sheed is really debateable imo. Billups and Wallace are definite locks imo. Prince should get in on loyalty alone.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
TinselTime12
Banned

TinselTime12 has not been impressing people

Ben is the only definite. Prince and Billups are possible. Unlikely for Sheed and Rip.
TinselTime12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ben Wallace and Sheed.....Billups next and that's about it.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
AngelEyes
Sentenza

AngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation here

Wallace and Billups... then I would consider Hamilton. I'd think about Prince but I don't think his level of play was ever comparable to the others at their best.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes
Wallace and Billups... then I would consider Hamilton. I'd think about Prince but I don't think his level of play was ever comparable to the others at their best.
Tayshaun's standing sort of reminds me of Vinnie Johnson's (whose #15 is retired by Detroit). Johnson was a cog in the Pistons' system for 9 seasons. He put up solid, but not spectacular numbers. He had a bit of a cult following with his Microwave status and he's known by many for hitting the clinching shot of the 1990 NBA Finals.

Similarly, Prince was a Pistons system guy for 10 years. He's pretty much averaged 14, 5, and 3 in every full season he's played in Detroit, as the Prince of the Palace. He's consistent, he was a no-doubt starter for some of the greatest teams in Pistons history and he had his own Microwave Finals moment, when he performed maybe the greatest block in playoff history, perhaps saving the Pistons championship season along the way.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

FreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Anyone who thinks Tayshaun wont get his number retired is dumb.
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Well since Ben and Chauncey's numbers are both in use by current Pistons I see an issue, especially if Drummond turns out to be good.

Also for Sheed what number would get retired? He won a ring as #30 then immediately changed to #36 for the remainder of his time as a Piston.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Billups and B. Wallace.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Well since Ben and Chauncey's numbers are both in use by current Pistons I see an issue, especially if Drummond turns out to be good.

Also for Sheed what number would get retired? He won a ring as #30 then immediately changed to #36 for the remainder of his time as a Piston.
I've always kind of had an issue with that. I'd have found a way to steer my new players away from numbers that'd likely have a chance of being retired in the foreseeable future. If nothing else, as a player, I'd like to think I'd relent from copping one of their numbers. I'm kind of bitter about Stuckey selecting #3 and Ben subsequently having to rock #6 when he came back.

Also, in addition to Drummond and Stuckey, Dennis Rodman's jersey is now retired, but Greg Monroe's still wearing 10, with Rodman's permission.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: