Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
blablabla

Default DeSagana Diop Article

published in 2001 by the legendary skip bayless

Link

here are some of the best parts for those who don't want to read the whole thing

Quote:
Two or three years from now you'll look back and think: How could Jordan have not taken Diop No. 1? Diop is the one athletic freak in this draft. Diop is the only man alive age 18 or above with the potential to be better than Shaquille O'Neal.
Quote:
Here was a physically mature man-child with the feet, touch and timing of a young Hakeem Olajuwon
Quote:
Down low Sagana reminds you of Shaquille the way he moves. He's a big-time shot-blocker and rebounder who's only scratched the surface offensively. He runs the court like he's 6-7 and 240. He'll wind up being the best player we've had here.
Quote:
Pat Kennedy once compared to "a young Shawn Kemp." But I saw Kemp when he was in junior college and Kemp was a much more explosive athlete than Curry, who's a shade under 6-10.
Curry will wind up being your basic weight-fighting NBA journeyman.
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

Default Re: DeSagana Diop Article

He was on the money about Curry but wow was he wrong on Diop lol, but I mean it happends to everyone no one has predicted perfectly but man a young Shaq/Hakeem lmao.

Lol i read the article and he also wrote
Quote:
The slender Chandler is a much more skilled offensive player whose natural position is small forward
Lol Tyson Chandler being a SF and a skilled offensive player

Last edited by andremiller07 : 11-30-2012 at 09:17 AM.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

Diop in HS senior year averaged 30/14/8/12. Numbers alittle skewed dont remember them completely but that statline is enough to draw praise like that
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
blablabla

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
Diop in HS senior year averaged 30/14/8/12. Numbers alittle skewed dont remember them completely but that statline is enough to draw praise like that
are you joking
Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
are you joking

14.6 points, 13.2 rebounds, and 8.1 blocks was his HS senior stats. Sorry I was way off.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
blablabla

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
14.6 points, 13.2 rebounds, and 8.1 blocks was his HS senior stats. Sorry I was way off.
lol 30/14/8/12 would have been crazy

btw al jefferson had 42/18 and 8blocks in his senior year
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
JohnnySic
green is good

The overrating of Darko is still the greatest WTF mystery of the last 10 years...
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
The overrating of Darko is still the greatest WTF mystery of the last 10 years...
Knowing what I know now, I don't think Darko would have ever had the skills to be truly great. However, my theory is a lot of his basketball failing has to do with a terrible mentality that I'm not sure folks could have picked up on prior to the draft.

People have pointed fingers at Larry Brown for sitting him for the majority of his first two seasons but whatever the cause, Milicic appeared very emotional fragile and really, really lacking in confidence. I've never seen such an obvious case of someone not believing in themselves like Darko displayed in Detroit. This is just one example, but I think it's a solid example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuCXaf-0fzk. That's straight out of a Charlie Brown comic strip, yet Milicic had body language similar to that whenever he stepped on the floor.

To be clear, I don't usually like playing the "what if so-and-so had the mindset of Magic Johnson" game, but Darko seemed like such an extreme case that sometimes I can't help but wonder what he actually would have been like as a basketball player if he actually had the mentality of a normal competitor. And of course, I could be very wrong. I don't know Darko. But from a lot of what I've seen (including comments he's made in the offseason and other folks declaring he'd been caught up in rich American life), it seems possible that Darko never really bought into trying and believing he could be a great ball player.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Knowing what I know now, I don't think Darko would have ever had the skills to be truly great. However, my theory is a lot of his basketball failing has to do with a terrible mentality that I'm not sure folks could have picked up on prior to the draft.

People have pointed fingers at Larry Brown for sitting him for the majority of his first two seasons but whatever the cause, Milicic appeared very emotional fragile and really, really lacking in confidence. I've never seen such an obvious case of someone not believing in themselves like Darko displayed in Detroit. This is just one example, but I think it's a solid example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuCXaf-0fzk. That's straight out of a Charlie Brown comic strip, yet Milicic had body language similar to that whenever he stepped on the floor.

To be clear, I don't usually like playing the "what if so-and-so had the mindset of Magic Johnson" game, but Darko seemed like such an extreme case that sometimes I can't help but wonder what he actually would have been like as a basketball player if he actually had the mentality of a normal competitor. And of course, I could be very wrong. I don't know Darko. But from a lot of what I've seen (including comments he's made in the offseason and other folks declaring he'd been caught up in rich American life), it seems possible that Darko never really bought into trying and believing he could be a great ball player.

The thing with Darko is that for a few games a season you'd see him explode for a monster game and look almost unstoppable down low and you can sort of understand why he was drafted so highly. I remember games when he was with the Wolves a few years back where he dominated Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol at times in the game.

He showed a vast array moves and counters in the post, great handles for a big man, big time shot blocking ability, good post defense, and decent passing skills. When motivated, he actually showed some really impressive skills and a natural feel for the game. Obviously his poor work ethic and bad attitude have ensured he'll never be half of the player he was capable of becoming. The funny thing is that he was never particularly productive on any professional team, even the mediocre Serbian team he played for when he was drafted.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdH5O-tTfQ
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: