Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
SilkkTheShocker
LeBron = G.O.A.T.

Default Carmelo or Lebron: Better Shot of Getting Their Numbers Retired By Past Teams

Not comparing Melo's departure to LeBron's departure. But the fact LeBron did much more for the Cavs makes this a pretty close debate imo.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
lilgodfather1
Wait and See

Default Re: Carmelo or Lebron: Better Shot of Getting Their Numbers Retired By Past Teams

LeBron's the Cavs leading scorer all time, their only MVP, and I believe their only league scoring leader as well.

The Cavs haven't had very many good players in their history lol.
lilgodfather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
ihoopallday
King James

Default Re: Carmelo or Lebron: Better Shot of Getting Their Numbers Retired By Past Teams

Neither will have their numbers retired by their former teams. Unless LeBron actually gave a real apology to Cleveland and Dan Gilbert wasn't the owner, then yeah I could see them retiring LeBron's jersey. Melo just hasn't done much to warrant a retired number.
ihoopallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Isn't Lebron going back to Cleveland to play with Kyrie? If he wins a ring there, I can see Cleveland retiring his number.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
AngelEyes
Sentenza

I expect the animosity will continue to fade with time and James will get his jersey retired, plus I don't know if I expect Gilbert will be owning that team after James is retired.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

Cavs will retire Lebrons number, maybe in about 15-20 years.
He is easily their greatest player ever, and played there 7 seasons including taking them to finals and winning 2 MVP's. Its a definite.

Can't see Melo's being retired at Denver.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
pauk
NBA Legend

Lebron technically has a much better shot, he is Cavs best everything, he achieved more than Carmelo individually and achieved much more team success aswell (franchise firsts aswell, like 1st Finals appearance, franchise best records etc.).... but with how all the butthurtedness turned after Lebrons departure in mind you could almost say Carmelo has a better shot.... :P

Last edited by pauk : 11-29-2012 at 06:27 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

I think they both will...eventually.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Why in the world would Carmelo get his number retired?
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
AngelEyes
Sentenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Why in the world would Carmelo get his number retired?

because he is one of the franchise's greatest players, certainly within the last 20 years.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

LeBron EASILY. LeBron is the 2nd greatest athlete in Cleveland sports history.
DStebb716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
TheMarkMadsen
Repped

I'm a Melo guy but he didn't do anything while in Denver that is deserving of having his number retired

Lerbron did, however i don't see it happening as long as Gilbert is still in office.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
KyrieTheFuture
College star

Neither as long as Gilbert is the owner. Denver Melo has 0 reason to be retired.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
I'm a Melo guy but he didn't do anything while in Denver that is deserving of having his number retired

Lerbron did, however i don't see it happening as long as Gilbert is still in office.

Check out anybody else's jersey that's hanging for Denver.... Who would that be? Michael Thompson? Alex English? Kiki ? And Melo taking them to perennial playoff team immediately, and to the WCF once, where they lost to the only team that could've beaten them that season in the Lakers because of their size.

The only reason they didn't get more was due to their poor FO's decisions, and lack of ability to get that team what it needed. It took like 5-6 years to get 1 shooter around their frontcourt, nevermind shooterS. George Karl never got fired for not coaching. They traded Camby for nothing, and never used the trade exception (which is a very underrated reason as to why Melo decided to leave).
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

I feel like they both should, but I don't know if the burning hatred will ever die down enough in Cleveland.
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: