Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Flagrant 2
QUITE FRANKLY

Flagrant 2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFlagrant 2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: why has the NBA gone pu$$ified over the years?

Because Troy Murphy isn't getting his minutes.
Flagrant 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
funnystuff
Say wot m8

funnystuff has decent reputationfunnystuff has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
lebron james happened. Where teaming up with the best instead of competing with them happened.
You're obsessed.
funnystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

You guys are lame. What exactly does violence add to basketball? I never hear anyone say, oh remember that game that x player shoved y player, thats my favorite game. No one wants to see people get hurt/ injured, except overly nostalgic confused fans who dont know what they want and are just generally unhappy. Who wants to see what happened to Rudy Tamjanovich again? Play the sport using skill.

Otoh, no one wants to see touch fouls etc... there needs to be a balance.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
asdf1990
College star

asdf1990 has no real reputation yet.

Go watch boxing or mma if you want to watch fights, this is the nba the goal is to score more points than the other team not who can provoke more fights.
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
You guys are lame. What exactly does violence add to basketball? I never hear anyone say, oh remember that game that x player shoved y player, thats my favorite game. No one wants to see people get hurt/ injured, except overly nostalgic confused fans who dont know what they want and are just generally unhappy. Who wants to see what happened to Rudy Tamjanovich again? Play the sport using skill.

Otoh, no one wants to see touch fouls etc... there needs to be a balance.
Oh look another straw man.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
asdf1990
College star

asdf1990 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

Your using a strawman here. And your flat out just stubbornly refusing to believe that the NBA was actually once a more physically aggresive game. Every rule Stern has ever been responsible for was to "open up the game" reduce violence, kill the center postion, etc. Don't be a dumbass and pretend the league wasn't using physical 1 on 1 defense with handchecks (vs today, non-contact zone defense) and getting into brawls more often than today. Nobody here is saying that "every play was a physical one back then!" We are simply pointing out the REALITY that things were different back then, and much more violence and physical play was tolerated back than vs today. There weren't nancy rules back then that tried to make the NBA such a disney-channel sport like today. If you got in a fight back then half the time you weren't even ejected FFS, the game continued as if nothing happened. You want to tell me shit hasn't changed?

It wasn't better tolerated the athlete back then weren't as well built to take contact as today's athletes, they were built to play the ***** run and gun version of basketball instead of playing defense. The last 12 years have been the best defensive era in basketball wake up and stop overrating the past eras and its players
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
clayton
Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

clayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat cool

Fighting = tough according these young kids. Just go watch UFC and leave NBA to basketball.
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
Legends66NBA7
The Edge

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think both NBA players and fans alike enjoy physical basketball and any type of "fighting" would just pump them up even more, ala Rondo/Humpries incident (no ejections). It just brings the whole emotional part of the game into play and really brings out the best of which players play the best under the most extreme of pressures. Having a rivalry last for a long time is great too.

Now, as someone mentioned, I don't want to see a case like Rudy T. Nor do I want to see Artest going into the stands. It shouldn't be overly violent and fans don't have to get involved.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
SHAQisGOAT
National High School Star

SHAQisGOAT has decent reputationSHAQisGOAT has decent reputation

Too many people talking about fighting here, this league is soft, I would want to see more physical play like back in the day, more contact and not weak a$$ calls, that's not saying everyone should be fighting after every single possession lol

I'd really like to see some of today's stars getting taken down after driving to the basket, if they complain after a touch today they would cry after that, or dealing with handchecking, scratching, holding and so on.
Kids think it's a fantasy that it wasn't happening like that, smh, I can put many highlights of brutal fouls that weren't even flagrants, let alone ejections and suspensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1990
It wasn't better tolerated the athlete back then weren't as well built to take contact as today's athletes, they were built to play the ***** run and gun version of basketball instead of playing defense. The last 12 years have been the best defensive era in basketball wake up and stop overrating the past eras and its players

lol I can't enough after that, one of the worst posts ever

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT : 11-30-2012 at 04:22 PM.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think there's a giant divide between physical basketball and brawls/fights/donnybrooks. As such, I think the case for one (physical play) does not necessarily sync up with the case for another (fisticuffs).

Speaking only on the subject of fighting (and not regarding hand-checking, a higher tolerance for physical engagement within the game, etc.) I think the NBA was definitely right in removing brawls to the best of their abilities. Fans who like fights suffer a little bit, but I think it was the right thing to do. I'm not sure how David Stern could watch Jo Jo English and Derek Harper throwdown into the courtside seats right in front of his eyes and not do something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3rFQeCkAE

I think there were 12,000 reasons to cut back on fighting and dirty play and just a few reasons to possibly keep it around. I personally miss the entertainment factor of fights, but I do not struggle in reasoning as to why it had to be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
I think both NBA players and fans alike enjoy physical basketball and any type of "fighting" would just pump them up even more, ala Rondo/Humpries incident (no ejections). It just brings the whole emotional part of the game into play and really brings out the best of which players play the best under the most extreme of pressures. Having a rivalry last for a long time is great too.

Now, as someone mentioned, I don't want to see a case like Rudy T. Nor do I want to see Artest going into the stands. It shouldn't be overly violent and fans don't have to get involved.
I think a big part of the issue is fights are not an exercise in control. Officials can't place two opponents in a small ring and order them to fight, but not too seriously or to the point of anyone getting too hurt. When fights happen, things have the possibility of getting wild and when that happens, there's that unnecessary risk of someone (player, fan, official, cameraman, photographer) getting seriously hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
I'd really like to see some of today's stars getting taken down after driving to the basket, if they complain after a touch today they would cry after that, or dealing with handchecking, scratching, holding and so on.
Kids think it's a fantasy that it wasn't happening like that, smh, I can put many highlights of brutal fouls that weren't even flagrants, let alone ejections and suspensions.
Man, I cannot agree with that at all. I can look back at some big fouls on stars back in the day and marvel at the physicality, but that's largely because I already know things were going to be alright. If I see a clip of Jordan being dragged down by the Pistons, I know Jordan's going to be okay, because it already happened. I don't want to see clips of Karl Malone bloodying Isiah Thomas or knocking out David Robinson.

Like fighting, with meaninglessly flagrant or intentional fouls, the outcome is always up in the air. Players can get back up, but why would the league encourage something that could lead to one of those players not getting up? I would not like to see today's stars taken down after driving to the basket and I don't think it should be a part of basketball anywhere - in the NBA, college, high school, or the park. That is not basketball. I like the idea of playing the game without having to think about a random player deciding to break the rules and push me out of the air a la Bynum/Barea just because he wants to send a message.

Edit: I have to be real, I re-read your piece and I think I may have misinterpreted your tone the first time through. My apologies. It seems you're more just commentating on how weak or babies modern day players are in comparison to their older counterparts (as opposed to honestly wishing they were to get hit hard).

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-30-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #26
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1990

You made my day had not seen something so lame or laughed so hard in a while
La Frescobaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #27
TinselTime12
Banned

TinselTime12 has not been impressing people

Because of the malice in the palace, the NBA has gone soft.
TinselTime12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
swi7ch
Banned

swi7ch has not been impressing people

Most fights these days are pushing/shoving. In that vid, punches are being thrown and none of the fake fights we're seeing these days.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #29
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Michael Jordan happened.

Owners and advertisers wanted to protect their stars. Then the league wanted to promote and push for another MJ, so they watered down the rules.

The first one is understandable, you don't want your star players to get hurt, that hurts the team, the league and the fans. But they took that too far.

The other is just pathetic.
andgar923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
cranincu
I hit open layups

cranincu has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
Too many people talking about fighting here, this league is soft, I would want to see more physical play like back in the day, more contact and not weak a$$ calls, that's not saying everyone should be fighting after every single possession lol

lol I can't enough after that, one of the worst posts ever
You might be legit stupid. You guys talk like this league is soft when you guys are enabling the same softness. Just look at the topic on the Rondo fight; everyones all "smh what a bitch" when he's trying to enforce on his team and KG is tripping Humphries and stuff. It's this hypocritical thinking and cognitive dissonance that perpetuates the 'soft league' idea when Z-Bo and Dwight are throwing players like ragdolls under the rim, screens are being set harder, elbows are thrown more, bodies are pushing more bodies. Damn, just like last week Dwight drops 'accidental' elbows on Asik and makes him look like he was cut up like Rocky in the movies and removes him from the game for a half; yet no one talks about this. Just because there aren't fists doesn't mean shit isn't physical. Your tender body would be worked like veal in today's NBA, you goon.

The defense that the Celtics played against Kobe in the finals and the defense the Pistons played against Lebron in their series are ignored completely when you talk about stars whining about everything. And then you bitch boys will cite Jordan Rules like you have credibility when you didnt even live through that shit. And you're saying "weak a$$ calls" like each team in the NBA in the 70s to 90s didnt shoot 40 fts a game.

It's not that the league is soft, it's just that the times change. You dudes are expecting fights to get overblown and assistant coaches to jump off the bench with their phone cameras up yelling "World Star, World Star" or some shit
cranincu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: