Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputation
Default Re: In your opinion, how important are offense/defense/rebounding?

D 5
O 3
R 2

Now then this statement will get ISH-bashed but by and large it is correct: any NBA level player can score, and score hugely.

Even guys not known for scoring ability, they can score theirs. These are the best of the best, the elite of the world.

Teams don't even win very many games with offense, let alone series or rings. Because every player in the L can score theirs. Even crummy teams will throw up 90 points..

That is a factor that is not considered much by fans, nor players, nor coaches from what I have mostly seen, about since the '80s or maybe the decline of the Pistons Ring Teams. But it is seen, understood, and used very plainly by those coaches named P Jax & Pops.

But look here; if you have 2 guys that can every night score 15 and 5 guys that can score 10 that's 80 points right there from a typical 7 man rotation. It's not counting 3s.

And it is not counting free throws. On average, an NBA team scores 15 to 18 points a game from free throws.

So easily with that setup, you find that you are at the League average of 95 points per game. And if you have a team built like that you are going to the playoffs as far as Offense is concerned.

I could probably argue that rebounding is more important than offense but I"m not sure that it is.
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
DatAsh
Local High School Star

DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
"Offense Defense Rebounds or Assists non of these matter in the grand scheme of things. What really matters is that you get plenty of rest"

Greg Popovich

offense - 0
defense - 0
rebound - 0
ability to rest - 10
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
DatAsh
Local High School Star

DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
Great offense beats great defense.

I'll never bash anyone for their opinion, but history has shown that more often than not, great defense beats great offense.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #34
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

shameless bump
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #35
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
shameless bump
this is why the Thunder aren't ready for Finals.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #36
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Definitely an interesting topic. I like what one poster (sorry I don't remember the name to mention) said about offense rebounds being the only kind that truly should count. I don't agree to the extent that the comment was taken at the time (consider that since every OR is an extra possession, every DR is stopping the opponent from getting an extra possession) but...

Ideal team focus:
O - 3
D - 4
R - 3 (and I would have 2-3 people crash offensive boards every. single. time.)

PG:
O - 5 (assuming Offense takes into account more than scoring)
D - 4
R - 1 (considered going 5/5/0) This player would be the first one expected back on D. The second player back (leaving the other 3 to focus on offensive boards) would be based on distance from the hoop, so more often than not it would be the 2 or the 3.

SG/SF (I don't care which player does what, but these two players, in some combination, will be the following two sets):
O - 6/2 (for the 2 rating, I'd prefer all "2" of those points were put into 3p shooting, lol)
D - 3/5
R - 1/3

PF:
O - 4
D - 3
R - 3

C:
O - 3
D - 4
R - 3

Post breakdown analysis: I put my team focus as a "3" for R, but that was also only the highest rating I gave any single player, much less the team as a whole. Perhaps throw it on my PF... D of 2, R of 4? I dunno. Or maybe I don't value R as much as I thought I did
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #37
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
this is why the Thunder aren't ready for Finals.

Which? Rebounding?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #38
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
Which? Rebounding?
Priority skewed too far towards offense.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #39
fpliii
sick of agendas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
Priority skewed too far towards offense.

Ah okay, valid point.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #40
Segatti
Good High School Starter

Segatti has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Rebounding and defense is slightly overrated. As Rose-less Bulls showed, in the playoffs you need offensive power along with defense to win. Rebounding and defense alone won't get you anywhere even against an inferior team.

Defense wins championships, but without stars to create your offense and break through other good defenses, you won't go far.

I agree.

Rose-less Bulls: first round.
Nash Phoenix: WCF, could have won a championship.

Offense>>Defense.
Segatti is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: