Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: Going to try Thai out any suggestions?

If it's Thai make sure she doesn't have a ***** first. Another telltale sign, most women are not 6 foot tall with huge hands.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
The place I go to has an amazing Mango Chicken. Not sure if they all serve it, but if the place your going to does....highly recommend.

Mango chicken isn't Thai food.

Go with pad Thai (everyone's favorite), a red curry (chicken ideally, if they are more specific with their curries ask for Penang curry), if no red than a green (they will have that), a seafood salad, shrimp cakes, green papaya salad, and jasmine rice.

If you like fish get a steamed lemon fish.

Get everything medium spice.

Satay is good too, but that is Malaysian.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

Chicken Pad Thai is the absolute best. Get it with shrimp if you can too
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #19
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star

I'm one of the only people who doesn't like Pad Thai. I'm very partial to basil chicken though!! One of my favorite dishes.

not the best picture but it is good. I prefer whole chicken pieces.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
If it's Thai make sure she doesn't have a ***** first. Another telltale sign, most women are not 6 foot tall with huge hands.

Neither are most Thai men
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #21
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Pad Thai and chicken satay is what I'm getting. Going to try that soup shadow.

I don't mind spicy food. So ill see how this goes. Never tried Thai because I never had an urge too. Plus I don't know many Thai spots in Philly. In in NYC for the weekend so I figure f*ck it lets go for it.

What neighborhoods in NY are you going to? Need any other suggestions?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
hateraid
Is it in you?

So what's the verdict?
We should hit an authentic filipino spot. I'll show you the goods
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I tried the pad Thai and that was good. It's not bad food. I didn't find it too spicy. Also tried Tom yum shrimp soup. Some other dishes from my friend.

Hateraid I'm down.

KevinNYC I went to a place called Sripapahi or something. In queens section. Other suggestions are always welcomed. Ill be in NY next weekend as well. Did little Italy today and this grandmom had the coolest accent. I damn near took a photo with get haha
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Spicy peanut please.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Try ****. Them Thai chicks **** one of the best.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
I'm one of the only people who doesn't like Pad Thai

I agree... Pad Thai is fine I guess but to me there are so many more interesting things to get at a good Thai Restaurant. It's like going to an italian restaurant and getting spaghetti. Sure it could be really good spaghetti but there's likely so much more to enjoy.

I'm all about the curry when I go thai. I prefer red duck curry.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
no pun intended
Mozart Basketball

I'm surprised no one (including myself) mentioned Tom Yum yet.

no pun intended is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by no pun intended
I'm surprised no one (including myself) mentioned Tom Yum yet.

I had that
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #29
qrich
King Heno

Crying Tiger for the win

Not sure how authentic it is, just had it at this Thai Place and it was the shit.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #30
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Default NYC food suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I tried the pad Thai and that was good. It's not bad food. I didn't find it too spicy. Also tried Tom yum shrimp soup. Some other dishes from my friend.

Hateraid I'm down.

KevinNYC I went to a place called Sripapahi or something. In queens section. Other suggestions are always welcomed. Ill be in NY next weekend as well. Did little Italy today and this grandmom had the coolest accent. I damn near took a photo with get haha

Wow. Didn't know you were going to Queens. Sripaphai is one the best Thai restaurants in the country. There's a Thai temple over there, so the area is filled with Thai restaurants aimed at Thai customers, you get good authentic stuff. (In one of the smaller ones, the waiter would not let order it spicy, even after I tried to explain to him that I had eaten in a lot of other places in that neighborhood and I knew what "Thai spicy" meant. [btw, that's how you order, if you don't want to tame it down.] He wouldn't believe me and told me he would make it "Manhattan style.")

Ironically, however, I don't think the noodles are Sripraphai's strong suit. Their pork dishes are incredible. The pickled pork appetizer alone is worth making a return trip. My rule of thumb is if the place has pork on the menu, it's probably more of a Northern Thai place and thus get the pork and stay away from the noodles. Bangkok-style Thai places tend to be stronger on the noodles and seafood. (Fish sauce is the special ingredient that makes Pad Thai taste so good.) If a place has pork on the menu, I usually get the larb which is minced pork with lime juice, chiles, mint and herbs. So good. Green Papaya salad is another good Thai dish to try.

On that same block is a tiny Mom and Pop place that is also great. (I'm also in love the waitress there.)

Other recommendations I would make are

Chinese soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai.
They have an midtown place and a Chinatown place. Steamed dumplings that when you bite into them have this rich pork broth inside. They give you big flat spoon and the way to eat them is to bite the dumpling and let the broth fill up the spoon and then slurp that before eating the dumpling part.

Spicy lamb dishes at http://www.xianfoods.com/menu.php
Super, super cheap take-out place featured food from a place in China near Russian. The handpulled noodles and the lamb "burger" are both must tries. Good place to go if you want to save money for dinner. If you're feeling adventurous, you can try the Spicy & Tingly Lamb Face Cold Salad which I've never had, but it's a good story to tell when you get back home.

Coal oven pizza
It's much, much better than regular gas oven pizza. The coal cooks at about 900 degrees Farenheit, so the crust gets really good flavor. You can go to Lombari's in Little Italy which is the oldest pizzeria in the US, so they have history on their side and they still turn out a good pie or you can go to Luzzo's in the East Village which is fairly new. They are my favorite pizza in the city. Both places are pie-only no slices.

Japanese Ramen.
NYC is undergoing a bit of a Ramen explosion. I recommend momofuku in the East Village.

Jewish appetizing and deli.
Russ and Daughters for a bagel and lox sandwiches. You may want to pick up stuff here to bring home. I really like this sandwich
Quote:
SUPER HEEBSTER
Whitefish & Baked Salmon Salad with Horseradish Dill Cream Cheese and Wasabi Flying Fish Roe on a Bagel:

Down the Street is Katz's deli which has the best pastrami sandwiches in NY. They are crazy overstuffed and one sandwich easily feeds two.

Texas Barbecue.
NY has been getting some pretty good Austin style barbecue lately. This is barbecue with

A. no sauce
B sold meat-market style. The price is per pound and you go up to a counter and order it.

Hill Country in Chelsea is really good. The beef ribs are insane. There's also live music in the basement at night. Usually no cover charge.

If you want to be super up to the minute, you can go to Briskettown in South Williamsburg. Just opened a couple of weeks ago. Small place and they have sold out within 3 hours almost every night.

Also NYC has a gigantic food blogging contingent, so if you have a smart phone, you can fight the right place to eat anywhere you are.

PM me if you want other ideas.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 12-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: